Widgets Magazine
Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 550515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1494

Thread: Myriad Gardens

Default Re: Myriad Gardens

You're absolutely correct. I saw that yesterday and immediate thought that it was a unique and inventive idea. Kudos to them.

I recently joined the South Chamber and have been very impressed with this group. They truly seem to care about the people in our community and I hear it from the members every time I attend one of their functions.

3. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

OK folks, here's your chance to vote for your favourite urban park again!

OKC received honors as the world's best urban park last year (beating out the likes of Chicago's world class Millennium Park), now you can help MGB by voting for Oklahoma City's urban oasis in the USA Today Best City Park for the 10Best Reader's Choice award.

Use your American right to help spread the word about Oklahoma City's rise, VOTE for Oklahoma City's urban park today!

I approve this message and so does the lovely people who curate MGB. I am a not-affiliated OKC expat and voter who loves and cares about Oklahoma City and its Renaissance. I paid for this message and wrote it using Pete's fabulous Oklahoma City forum. I believe Any and all awards should be pursued every time to help spread the word that Oklahoma City IS a great city with plenty of world-class civic offerings that can compete on the national stage. OK, thanks for reading all of this lawyer talk! Lol.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I spent some time in the Myriad Gardens this weekend and it's such a fantastic gathering space for community. It was absolutely packed with families, runners, and high school prom photo-taking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	168 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	12544

However, I was disappointed to see that two of the biggest water features -- the Thunder fountain structure and the water structure by the stage -- were not working as seems to often be the case. How often are these two things working? I took a picture of the latter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	158 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	12543

The water thing on the north side by the stage and lawn seems to always be until sometime in May when it becomes active.

6. Default Re: Myriad Gardens

nice pic, i can even see the fish in the lake
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    The water thing on the north side by the stage and lawn seems to always be until sometime in May when it becomes active.
    Right on schedule dankrutka, your wave pool is now going.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Right on schedule dankrutka, your wave pool is now going.
    Ha ha. Good to hear.

I was downtown today and stopped by the gardens and Pumpkinville...

Holy Cow, what a crowd.

And all over Bricktown, too.

I think those who don't get downtown often have no idea how many people are down there on weekends. It's really great to see.

10. Default Re: Myriad Gardens

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I was downtown today and stopped by the gardens and Pumpkinville...

Holy Cow, what a crowd.

And all over Bricktown, too.

I think those who don't get downtown often have no idea how many people are down there on weekends. It's really great to see.
    Except for the few Thunder games or concerts we get tickets to we don't go downtown. I am glad to hear others do. It's an area that needs to keep up its momentum.

Press release:

Scissortail: Myriad Gardens Unveils Gift Store

Oklahoma City, OK -- Scissortail Gifts at Myriad Gardens, located in our south lobby, is now open daily from 9am-5pm Monday through Saturday and 11am through 5pm on Sundays. There is no charge to visit the gift shop in the Crystal Bridge. An open house reception for the new pop-up type shop area is scheduled for Wednesday, Oct 12 from 4-7pm and our membership and the public is invited to attend to discover wonderful Made in Oklahoma products and more.

Owned and operated by Brian Ferrell and Brad Holt, Scissortail is dedicated to sharing a community of passionate people who love Oklahoma, its products, and its people and connecting you with the stories behind them. The shop will offer the finest Made In Oklahoma products and gifts inspired by Oklahoma and its people. In addition to Made in Oklahoma products, Scissortail will also carry garden inspired gifts, plant and gardening books and Myriad Botanical Gardens branded items along with cold drinks and snacks.

Become a member of the Gardens to receive 10 percent off all purchases whenever you shop at Scissortail Gifts at Myriad Gardens. A portion of sales goes toward helping support Myriad Botanical Gardens!

GRAND OPENING EVENT: Wednesday, October 12, 4-7pm
    Tasting & Book signing with Steve Lackmeyer with his new book: “Images of Modern America: BRICKTOWN”
    About the book: Steve Lackmeyer, award winning local history author and columnist, is debuting his seventh book, "Bricktown: Modern Images of America." The book, being released by Arcadia Publishing, includes never before published color photos taken in 1979 at the start of the area's transformation into Oklahoma's premier urban, historic entertainment district and many more images from the past three decades.

The Myriad Botanical Gardens is one of Oklahoma City’s most beloved public spaces, offering its visitors a 15 acre natural escape in the very heart of downtown. A half-acre children’s garden, an off-leash dog park, restaurant space, splash fountains, and paths for walking and jogging provide guests young and old with a place to seek solitude with nature, or seek community and the company of others. Additionally, the Myriad Gardens offers a variety of horticultural education programs for adults and children.

The Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory’s unique design has earned attention and praise in the architectural community. It is 224 feet long, 70 feet in diameter, and is covered by 3,028 sections of translucent, double-layered acrylic panels. The Conservatory includes 13,000 square feet of plant display area in two distinct climates: the Tropical Wet Zone, which is at the south end and is watered daily; and the Tropical Dry Zone at the north end which receives water from April through September, followed by drought from November through March. Some 2,000 varieties of plants and a 35-foot waterfall round out the spectacular features of the Conservatory.

###

From this beautiful morning.

First weekend for Pumpkinville which runs through Oct. 22nd. Absolutely tons of people down there for a Sunday morning.

Nice picture Pete

Ice rink opens tomorrow (Monday):

Your photography is great, Pete! My favorite is the second shot.

I noticed the gardens are decorated nicely for the holidays.

There is even a new light tunnel thing on the main pathway on the southeast corner of the block. The same pathway that has those light-up tiles embedded with the pavers. Some of these tiles have been broken for years, yet they are able to add new holiday light functions? Where are the priorities with fixing such simple things?

Blog Entries

It's likely Downtown OKC that is paying for the Christmas lights. But Downtown OKC wouldn't be able to use its funding to fix pavers and such at MBG.

24. Default Re: Myriad Gardens

^^^^^^^^
    While the Winter Holidays at the Gardens is a partner event with the Downtown Oklahoma City Partnersip's Downtown in December, I'm pretty sure that DOKC is not involved in funding the MBG effort; instead they only help promote it under their DID umbrella event. I believe that the Gardens lights are a direct sponsorship from OGE. It's possible that I am wrong about this, but didn't want to bother my friends at DOKC with the question, since the REAL point is that OGE is sponsoring a specific event, not paying for MBG upkeep; which is a separately-funded effort of the Myraid Gardens Foundation.

If someone would like to get involved directly in helping fund MBG upkeep and improvements, you can participate in their annual fund here: http://oklahomacitybotanicalgardens....rt/annualfund/ . I'd also expect that they would welcome feedback from the public (you can do that here) and would probably ESPECIALLY value feedback from members and donors! Wink, wink.

The Myriad Gardens is nearing its 30th anniversary last this month.

A little before and after:

Thread Information