Widgets Magazine

Thread: For all you district lovers, Maney District gets a new tenant

Default For all you district lovers, Maney District gets a new tenant

For those of you district haters, just when you thought OKC has enough "districts" bet you haven't heard of the Maney District.

Midtown bound: EWF purchases historic building

by David Page

Published: November 8th, 2010

Darcy Harris, CEO and founder of EWF International. (Maike Sabolich)

Darcy Harris, CEO and founder of EWF International. (Maike Sabolich)
    OKLAHOMA CITY – EWF International has purchased a historic building in Oklahoma City’s Midtown District.

The building at 725 NW 11th St. will serve as EWF’s offices and provide meeting space for members and other groups, said Darcy Harris, CEO and founder. The company provides professional and personal development for women business owners and executives and plans to expand services.

“This building opens up a wealth of opportunities,” Harris said.

The two-story former residential property includes a conference room and space for other tenants – small businesses or groups. EWF moved into the building Oct. 1 and already has three tenants, she said.

“EWF International members won’t be the only one to benefit from our new acquisition,” Harris said. “Tenants will enjoy a professional setting where they can entertain clients or prospects, hold staff meetings somewhere other than a living room.”

Tenants have access to a shared conference room, wireless Internet and utilities.

Outside groups will be able to use the building for networking sessions, workshops or other events.

“We’re so excited to be able to offer these opportunities to Oklahoma City’s business community,” Harris said. “It’s a wonderful alternative for smaller groups who simply don’t need a larger event venue.”

The conference room has seating for 12 at the table but there is enough space for a few more participants.

“We had 20 in one meeting but it was a little bit crowded,” Harris said.

The company has five forum groups for women business owners and professionals. The small-group forums have been meeting at the new offices.

Forums function as peer-support groups focusing on members’ issues, opportunities, concerns or challenges. Forums are led by a professional facilitator.

“Forum members have to be open and willing to take in feedback and that is not always easy,” she said.

A poll by EWF indicted that most members are not having major problems during the economic downturn, Harris said. About 60 percent of the members reported they were ahead of where they were last year, 20 percent were about he same and the remaining 20 percent were lagging some but not greatly, she said.

The house building just north of St. Anthony Hospital was built in 1927 and is included in the Maney Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Properties.

The triangular Maney District includes 1.5 acres with three buildings constructed as homes.

EWF’s building, known as the Smelser House, is an example of bungalow architecture, according to the National Register of Historic Places.

Although it has two stories, unlike most bungalow structures, the slightly-pitched gables of the Smelser House make the structure a product of that architectural style. A covered carport extending from the house is typical of the bungalow style.

“It’s a vibrant neighborhood,” Harris said. “It feels good to be part of a historic neighborhood.”

Complete URL: http://journalrecord.com/2010/11/08/...d-real-estate/

Default Re: For all you district lovers, Maney District gets a new tenant

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    For those of you district haters, just when you thought OKC has enough "districts" bet you haven't heard of the Maney District.
    Ah, the balkanizationof Oklahoma City.

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    the triangular maney district includes 1.5 acres with three buildings constructed as homes.
    a 1.5 acre "district" comprised of three homes? i don't think it's unreasonable to say that some folks are going overboard with the whole district thing. -M

Wasn't there a bed and breakfast or small boutique hotel at or near that address? Maney House?

It's at 11th and Shartel.

I am going to create my own district, who's with me?

Name = No more Districts Districts!

Now I need a catchy acronym too. = NoMo double D's

I don't think you'll get much of a male following on the NoMo Double D's approach.

Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I don't think you'll get much of a male following on the NoMo Double D's approach.
    It took me a second, but well played.

I think Steve already wrote an article about this home conversion, actually..

Thread Information