1. Default Yard Vacuum

    I have a sweet gum tree (drops those little spikey balls) and a Pecan tree. Yard is pretty messy, not to mention, about to be covered in leaves.

    Raking takes forever. Not really interested in that. I'm wondering whether anyone here has ever tried a yard vacuum. I've been using a Black and Decker electric unit and it's not getting the job done. The plastic fan has been torn up pretty bad by the sweet gum balls it's sucked up.

    I'm not sure I'm ready to go up to a full blown push unit. There's an Echo yard vac that is carried. Kind of like a big leaf blower. Anyone ever tried one of those? Any advice on what I need to be looking for?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Find a good yard service. I have pecan trees...buying and maintaining the equipment for such a short-term use is not a good idea. IMO. Rather easier to see it done through the window as well...

  3. Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Find a good yard service. I have pecan trees...buying and maintaining the equipment for such a short-term use is not a good idea. IMO. Rather easier to see it done through the window as well...
    It's not really a short term use as stuff falls out of the trees all winter.

    And I like to work out in my yard. I just prefer power tools to rakes.

  4. Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Our leaf blower can be reversed into a vacuum with a bag you put on your back. We have leaves and pine needles and it works great for that. Not sure it's much faster than raking though.

  5. Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Our leaf blower can be reversed into a vacuum with a bag you put on your back. We have leaves and pine needles and it works great for that. Not sure it's much faster than raking though.
    Yeah, that's what I have right now. It's electric and doesn't work very well. Plastic fan blades are chipped.

  6. Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Ours has a metal blade and is gas powered. It's commercial grade. I've sucked rocks and twigs on a regular basis. Bought it from a pawn shop for $185. Probably freshly stolen off some lawn care trailer.

  7. Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Ours has a metal blade and is gas powered. It's commercial grade. I've sucked rocks and twigs on a regular basis.
    Sounds good. What's the make/model?

  8. Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Sounds good. What's the make/model?
    Will have to look when I get home. We are at The Canebrake this weekend.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    I have an Echo that you can reverse and turn into a vaccum. It has metal blades on the fan to cut through small twigs and such. Works pretty well and I imagine it will suck up what you describe.

  10. Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    I've been looking at those two Echo models. Think it'd be able to take care of pecan hulls and sweet gum balls?


    (those things)

  11. #11

    Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Those prickly ball things might not suck up to easily and if they are big they might create some problems. Maybe find a big one off the ground and take it to Home Depot and see if it will fit through the fan blades.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Craftsman and other mower manufacturers have lawn vaccums but they are quite pricey.

  13. Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    I dunno why people still rake their yards.... I just use the lawn mower to pick up all the leaves. Simple as that.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Look at the Toro Ultra Blower-Vac. It has a metal impeller and picks up acorns with no problem. Not sure how it would do on the sweetgum balls but it does very well on the blackjack debris and aformentioned acorns. It's electric so that might be a drawback. I love mine and did a lot of research before I bought it a couple of years ago. It was the top rated electric by Consumers Report at the time. Got it at either Lowes or Home Depot. Can't remember which.

  15. Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I dunno why people still rake their yards.... I just use the lawn mower to pick up all the leaves. Simple as that.
    Some folks like to have nice yards. What can I say?

  16. Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Wow, if our sweet gum put out pretty orange leaves like that, I might not mind the spikey balls.
    Still corrupting young minds

  17. #17

    Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    that Toro is sold at Home Depot.

  18. Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambo36 View Post
    Look at the Toro Ultra Blower-Vac. It has a metal impeller and picks up acorns with no problem. Not sure how it would do on the sweetgum balls but it does very well on the blackjack debris and aformentioned acorns. It's electric so that might be a drawback. I love mine and did a lot of research before I bought it a couple of years ago. It was the top rated electric by Consumers Report at the time. Got it at either Lowes or Home Depot. Can't remember which.
    I had the Toro. It didn't work. In fact, the blades were plastic and the balls broke the blades.

    I ended up buying a gas powered Stehl, the top of the line handheld and it works great on leaves and everything else, but those sweetgum balls get caught in the blades and actually stall it out.

    So I guess I'll be using something a little more old-fashioned. A rake and some gloves.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Yard Vacuum

    Love the picture, Mid.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. indoor yard sale OKC
    By Deni in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 02:20 PM
  2. The Longest Yard
    By Keith in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 09:11 PM
  3. The longest yard
    By dirtrider73068 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 03:41 AM
  4. OKC Rail yard
    By mranderson in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 02:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •