Widgets Magazine
Page 33 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by ABCOKC View Post
    Minor point, but is anyone else a tad annoyed at being referred to as "Oklahoma City, Oklahoma"? It just seems so unnecessary, and we're one of the domestic cities for which the AP Style Guide recommends omitting the state from the end. Not a huge deal, but as we're in the stages of building a brand and conveying our identity to the rest of the country it would be nice to be recognized as "Oklahoma City" as opposed to a town that happens to be in Oklahoma.
    While that may be what the style guide calls for and more redundant than most with us; the City, State format is common enough you see it with far larger cities than us with unique names all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ABCOKC View Post
    Minor point, but is anyone else a tad annoyed at being referred to as "Oklahoma City, Oklahoma"?
    New York, New York. The city so nice, they named it twice...and wrote countless songs about it. Seems to have worked out well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    While that may be what the style guide calls for and more redundant than most with us; the City, State format is common enough you see it with far larger cities than us with unique names all the time.
    Oklahoma City is one of the few smaller cities that the AP Style Guide recommends omitting the state's name from the end, and that is because the state's name is the city's name. Indianapolis and Minneapolis are also on the list likely for the same reason. The others on the list are major cities that everyone is familiar with. Only 29 cities, including OKC, are on the list.

ATLANTA BALTIMORE BOSTON

CHICAGO CINCINNATI CLEVELAND

DALLAS DENVER DETROIT

HONOLULU HOUSTON INDIANAPOLIS LAS VEGAS LOS ANGELES

MIAMI MILWAUKEE MINNEAPOLIS NEW ORLEANS NEW YORK

OKLAHOMA CITY PHILADELPHIA PHOENIX PITTSBURGH

ST. LOUIS SALT LAKE CITY SAN ANTONIO SAN DIEGO SAN FRANCISCO SEATTLE

WASHINGTON

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Oklahoma City is one of the few smaller cities that the AP Style Guide recommends omitting the state's name from the end, and that is because the state's name is the city's name. Indianapolis and Minneapolis are also on the list likely for the same reason. The others on the list are major cities that everyone is familiar with. Only 29 cities, including OKC, are on the list.

ATLANTA BALTIMORE BOSTON

CHICAGO CINCINNATI CLEVELAND

DALLAS DENVER DETROIT

HONOLULU HOUSTON INDIANAPOLIS LAS VEGAS LOS ANGELES

MIAMI MILWAUKEE MINNEAPOLIS NEW ORLEANS NEW YORK

OKLAHOMA CITY PHILADELPHIA PHOENIX PITTSBURGH

ST. LOUIS SALT LAKE CITY SAN ANTONIO SAN DIEGO SAN FRANCISCO SEATTLE

WASHINGTON
    So Tulsa is not on that list?

Conversationally, I hardly ever hear anyone say Tulsa, Oklahoma. Not on TV or in movies. As far as I know, there's only one Tulsa and that's why people don't put the state after it.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post

Conversationally, I hardly ever hear anyone say Tulsa, Oklahoma. Not on TV or in movies. As far as I know, there's only one Tulsa and that's why people don't put the state after it.
    In journalism, it's almost always "Tulsa, OK", at least from what I've seen.

and we're back to our city's dirty laundry gracing the national newswires... https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-new-president

If Feed the Children rings a bell but you can't place it, it's the "non-profit" that's tied up in the questionable ownership transactions that almost sunk the sale of the First National building. (http://newsok.com/article/5513064)

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Talker View Post
    and we're back to our city's dirty laundry gracing the national newswires... https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...-new-president

If Feed the Children rings a bell but you can't place it, it's the "non-profit" that's tied up in the questionable ownership transactions that almost sunk the sale of the First National building. (http://newsok.com/article/5513064)
    I don't know that I would label it the city's dirty laundry. It's a troubled business in Oklahoma City. For instance, when the whole Enron thing broke, people didn't jump to the conclusion that Houston was a bad city just because Enron had problems. Saying this is OKC's dirty laundry is a stretch and seems as if you're just looking to be negative about OKC.

I don't know that I would label it the city's dirty laundry. It's a troubled business in Oklahoma City. For instance, when the whole Enron thing broke, people didn't jump to the conclusion that Houston was a bad city just because Enron had problems.
    Houston is World Class and has so many major corporations that one or even 3-4 is simply not enough to tarnish the city. Oklahoma City well?

People don't know much about OKC so any mention of the city in national news is significant. It shapes what people think about us and about what's happening here. That's why it's so bad for us when the news that people hear is about earthquakes, about budget issues, about corruption, and not about new development or investments. That's why I have alerts set up about news of OKC, and why I follow this thread. I'm not negative about the area, I think we need to know and understand why people have a stereotype of it and change that.

Blog Entries

If you live in Oklahoma, you know where Tulsa is located. If you don't live in Oklahoma, that's probably because some people think Tulsa is in Texas.

Recall when I lived in Fort Worth; friend asked me about Tulsa where my conference was held, he wanted to know if it were closer to Houston or San Antonio.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Talker View Post
    People don't know much about OKC so any mention of the city in national news is significant. It shapes what people think about us and about what's happening here. That's why it's so bad for us when the news that people hear is about earthquakes, about budget issues, about corruption, and not about new development or investments. That's why I have alerts set up about news of OKC, and why I follow this thread. I'm not negative about the area, I think we need to know and understand why people have a stereotype of it and change that.
    Maybe people just think differently than I do. If I read about a company that had dirty dealings in say Omaha, I think that's a reflection on the company and not the city. I don't jump to the conclusion that Omaha must be a bad city. I would like to think that people in other cities around the country are smart enough to separate the two, but maybe they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Houston is World Class and has so many major corporations that one or even 3-4 is simply not enough to tarnish the city. Oklahoma City well?
    I don't think a corrupt corporation has any impact on people's perception of the city.

OKC's negative national perception primarily comes from tornadoes, earthquakes, incompetence at 23rd and Lincoln, and crazy religious legislators like Sally Kern and John Bennett. Also contributing is the opinions of people who may have passed through here 15 years ago and aren't aware of how much things have changed.

This is about Tulsa, but from an international new outlet so I thought it relevant.

http://www.economist.com/news/united...-coping-broken

Among other things this article mentions the possibility of changing the laws to allow cities to levee property tax for public safety--a movement that Tulsa seems to be leading the charge on but that I have heard crickets in regards to OKC.

Very novel article, here. Surely the Globe has more interesting subjects to cover than poor, little Red states like us. But, then again, I can appreciate the ego boost this article might provide for the Bostonians.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Very novel article, here. Surely the Globe has more interesting subjects to cover than poor, little Red states like us. But, then again, I can appreciate the ego boost this article might provide for the Bostonians.
    This was an AP article which means that a local reporter probably wrote it and any of the member newspapers, tv stations, or radio stations can pick it up and publish it. The Associated Press has worldwide reach so whenever that happens, it turns the story into a big deal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Press

"Oklahoma City is the Silicon Valley of the U.S. oil and gas industry"

https://amp-timeinc-net.cdn.ampproje...rd/?source=dam

19. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

"By contrast, none of the places where sprawl increased most between 2010 and 2016 — Austin, San Antonio, Houston and Oklahoma City — had been especially urban even in 2010."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/22/u...ties.html?_r=0

20. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

OKC and Broken Bow in D Magazine's 10 Surprising Summer Escapes:

https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...?ref=fw-widget

Broken Bow on the cover
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Blog Entries

Cheapest U. S. Cities to Live in... http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/r...017/index.html

07. Norman, Okla
    10. Oklahoma City

Memphis .04

Indianapolis 06

& Oklahoma City 10

were the only top 50 cities areas to make that list.

Article excerpt: . A low cost of living is attractive, but the allure lessens if jobs are hard to come by, paychecks are small or the town offers little to do.

The largest city in Oklahoma offers remarkably affordable prices for its size. The biggest reason: Housing costs run 28.8% below the national average, according to the housing component of the Cost of Living Index, which takes into account both home prices and apartment rents. And yet as a metro area with 1.4 million people, Oklahoma City offers a lot of big-city attractions, from a philharmonic orchestra to the National Softball Hall of Fame and Museum. At the professional sports level, the Oklahoma City Thunder remains one of the most competitive teams in the NBA.

OKC ranked 2nd to last (behind only Birmingham) in the 2017 City Energy Efficiency Scorecard.

http://aceee.org/local-policy/city-scorecard

24. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Not exactly in the press...but a press release......about our City Treasurer
    https://www.okc.gov/Home/Components/News/News/2385/

Nice little OKC feature in Food and Wine Magazine. Seems like we're starting to build some street credibility:

http://www.foodandwine.com/travel/we...eing-right-now

Thread Information