Widgets Magazine
Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46919293949596
Results 2,376 to 2,386 of 2386

Thread: Bricktown

Default Re: Bricktown

I would like to know the current stats on the existing curfew.

How many suspected juveniles were approached by officers in years past?
    How many of those approached turned out to be over 18?
    How many reports of crimes allegedly committed by a juvenile?
    What time were those crimes committed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    9:00 seems a bit early considering the movie theater and number of all ages shows at Criterion (and I'm assuming others).
    It just gives officers an official to use whenever they kids hanging out on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Those would fall under the exception of going to/from an "official event", I'm guessing.
    Yeah, the way the 11:00pm curfew has typically been handled (at least last time I was around for it) has been if the person has a ticket or something in the area they're fine so long as they're going directly to the event and/or back to where they came from. But if the event is too far in the future/past, is already going but they're not in it, or they don't have a ticket and are just loitering and causing trouble the curfew gives a reason to call the parents and get them gone. It could also be leveraged when kids would sneak into the theatre. The theatre would kick them out and the sheriff's deputies (who ran security in the area at the time; they still do that?) would take it from there.

I am OK with this. Bricktown isn't a place I'd want my kids out that late anyways. Seems like there is a shooting or stabbing every weekend

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9091.jpeg 
Views:	241 
Size:	562.1 KB 
ID:	18172

6. Default Re: Bricktown

^^^^^^^^^^^
    This was a project paid for and installed by the 501(c)(6) Bricktown Association and managed by the Downtown Oklahoma City Partnership. Planned and executed by artists/fabricators Stephen Tyler and Nathan Hendrix.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18728[/ATTACH

Looks like they are building another elevator along the canal on the opposite side.

Took this yesterday when it was overcast, which is probably why the water looks so green, but still…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1908.jpeg 
Views:	200 
Size:	4.83 MB 
ID:	18728  

about time, much needed.

9. Default Re: Bricktown

^^^^^^^^^
    It’s a roughly $1M project that is being funded by some unencumbered dollars identified by the City Manager’s office a couple of years ago. They wanted to invest the identified monies specifically in the canal area, and asked some stakeholders where it could be best spent.

This elevator was identified as a need during a 2014 accessibility study performed by the OU Institute for Quality Communities and funded by Bricktown and the Downtown Oklahoma City Partnership, utilizing BID dollars.

The study also envisioned and eventually resulted in the currently-ongoing canal wayfinding project, (phases 1 and 2 are now complete), and perhaps most importantly in the installation several years ago of the mid-block crossing on Mickey Mantle, safely linking the canal overlook plaza with the Chickasaw Ballpark’s third base entry plaza. I’m convinced that plaza has saved lives since its installation, and makes Bricktown and the Canal Zone far more walkable.

Similar to the midblock, this elevator is intended to make the canal area more walkable for people of all ability levels. The lack of an elevator in this location has also been listed as one of the main barriers to development on that side of the canal, west of Oklahoma Avenue.

Sometimes good changes take time, much work behind the scenes, and, of course, money.

Love it and glad to see more progress.

It will be interesting to see if the Western end of the Canal can gain some new life over the next few years with all the new surrounding projects, but currently that end feels very lifeless.

11. Default Re: Bricktown

^^^^^^^^
    There are firm plans for at least one of those buildings. The Oklahoma Opry is under contract with Don Karchmer, owner of 19 E California, to purchase and renovate that structure as their new home for not only their live performances, but also for their other nonprofit arms that include the Granville Community Music School - which provides musical instruction to kids from low income households - and the Oklahoma chapter of Guitars For Vets, which provides musical instruction to veterans suffering from physical injuries, PTSD and other emotional distress.

Currently the Opry and its programs are temporarily housed at ACM@UCO, which has been a generous partner while assisting the 501(c)(3) land safely as its neighbor and fellow supporter of music education, creation and performance in Oklahoma.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/ente...e/70690474007/

https://www.ohfo.org/home

Besides that, there are other plans being considered for a few other buildings on that section of the canal. This elevator will make those plans more tenable.

Thread Information