Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 96 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151661 ... LastLast

Thread: Bricktown

Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    And if I remember correctly, it was criticized here for being too suburban in design. LOL
    Just because it's cool, doesn't mean it still isn't suburban in design. The two can coexist you know.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Just because it's cool, doesn't mean it still isn't suburban in design. The two can coexist you know.
    No need to argue with me about that, Metro. I was just commenting about how differently people feel about the same building.

If the building were urban in design, the large windows in the front that reveal the interior would be closer to the sidewalk, and more people would know that it is a cool interior.

Now, it is a cool interior that is separated from the public realm to the point that you would have to make an intentional trip away from the sidewalk to view through the windows.

No need to argue with me about that, Metro. I was just commenting about how differently people feel about the same building.
    Telling metro not to argue is like telling fire not to burn.

Here's a random question for the OKCTalk collective brain:

Has there ever been any development suggested for the gigantic parking lot to the east of the ballpark?

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post

Has there ever been any development suggested for the gigantic parking lot to the east of the ballpark?
    Another 8 to 10 story brick structure would make the ballpark an absolute Home Run (HA!)

yes bob funk i believe .. planned a massive mixed use development for that lot ... on which he had the parking lease .. http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic...bricktown.html

but it died .. http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic...rking-lot.html

Yes:

http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic...tml#post101047

2007? Oops.

Well, I guess something will be developed there someday.

In any event, that thread made for quite the melodramatic read.

And if I remember correctly, it was criticized here for being too suburban in design. LOL
    It is.

Everyone here is saying, "holy crap, I had no idea that building was so cool on the inside." It hides it's awesomeness a little too well which really bothers me because we spent a lot of money on that and aren't getting a lot of bang for our buck when we do that.

Blog Entries

How much and how quickly would THAT have transformed BTown? Instead, we still have a parking lot.

That development was never close to any sort of reality.

It was Funk trying to get the City to basically give him that land, with absolutely no assurances anything he proposed would ever happen. Which is exactly why it died and Funk never pursued any other sort of downtown development.

Can't blame the guy for trying, because it's pretty much what Randy Hogan managed to pull off.

HangryHippo Guest

The renderings for that proposal were awesome. But then again, as Pete points out, so were the renderings for Lower Bricktown and we see what Hogan got away with. Highway robbery.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That development was never close to any sort of reality.

It was Funk trying to get the City to basically give him that land, with absolutely no assurances anything he proposed would ever happen. Which is exactly why it died and Funk never pursued any other sort of downtown development.

Can't blame the guy for trying, because it's pretty much what Randy Hogan managed to pull off.
    So, are you saying that a reasonable proposal to do that sort of development today that had financing would be agreed to by the city?

I wonder if there's anything in the works for where the Cotton Factory (ya know, that grassy corner by the canal) was going to go in...before the recession happened. If not for a residence, I think that spot would be popular for a future urban hotel site.

An update by Steve on the revisions to the previous atrocious plans by Chris Brown along the canal.

Parking planned near Bricktown Canal to be less visible | News OK

An update by Steve on the revisions to the previous atrocious plans by Chris Brown along the canal.

Parking planned near Bricktown Canal to be less visible | News OK
    Chris Brown? Is Rihanna helping with the development?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    The renderings for that proposal were awesome. But then again, as Pete points out, so were the renderings for Lower Bricktown and we see what Hogan got away with. Highway robbery.
    Does anyone have them, I tried searching but found nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Does anyone have them, I tried searching but found nothing.
    http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic...tml#post101049

That kind of looks like some of the renderings for the C2S area. That would've been a game changer.

Is the citizen-constructed wooden stairway still in place south of Aloft?

It's pretty sad when citizens have to build such things and install signs on their own because City Hall is so completely clueless when it comes to pedestrians.

It's pretty sad when citizens have to build such things and install signs on their own because City Hall is so completely clueless when it comes to pedestrians.
    The one down Oklahoma Ave?

Wasn't there a chunk of change recently allocated to bricktown for sidewalk and infrastructure improvements? Seems these issues should be a priority for that project. Not sure if there are any details about exactly what will be done with money. Maybe it's still up for discussion?

I just don't understand. College campuses understand crosswalks and pedestrian right-of-ways, why is it so hard for a city to do it? Not only post signage and paint crossings, but enforce it with LEOs?

UCO has multiple crossings that pass over city streets.
    Edmond PD regularly camps out on that street and pulls people over who do not stop for pedestrians. I am thinking they mostly give verbal warnings/education about the crosswalks instead of instant citations.

This is what OKC PD needs to do downtown. Start stopping violators on both the pedestrian and vehicle side of things. Jaywalkers are equally as common downtown. It is a real problem, this is not sarcasm.

Thread Information