Page 4 of 166 FirstFirst 12345678954104 ... LastLast

Thread: SandRidge Center & Commons

Default Re: SandRidge update....

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    Regarding???
    Regarding renovations.

Default Re: SandRidge update....

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Expect to hear something regarding both Kerr/Couch Park and SandRidge HQ within the next couple of months.
    I imagine this is in regards to the renovations improvements that were supposed to be announced about 2 years ago and already done? I guess late is better than never. I wonder if Rand Elliot is still the architect.

3. Default Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

See Steve Lackmeyer's article here: NewsOK

Excerpts:

Old Kerr-McGee tower to anchor new project for Sandridge Energy
    SANDRIDGE ENERGY HAS BIG PLANS FOR LARGE CHUNK OF DOWNTOWN

Fewer than 500 employees have completed the move to 123 Robert S Kerr Ave. in downtown Oklahoma City, and crews have completed gutting and updating the late 1970s decor on the building’s 16th through 29th floors.

As renovations continue on the remaining floors, Ward is preparing to launch an equally ambitious makeover involving the demolition of four buildings, construction of one new building, a new entrance for the 29-story tower, and a redesign of Kerr Park across the street.

All together, Ward estimates the campus makeover will top $100 million.

"What we have is rare,” Ward said. "We have the majority of two blocks, the majority of a third block and part of a fourth block in a metropolitan city. That one company controls so much of a core area in one city is unusual, and that we’re willing to share much of that property with the public is even more unusual.”

Ward admits he still doesn’t have a new name for the headquarters — but one will be chosen soon and announced at a Jan. 12, 2010, unveiling of designs and plans for the campus.

In an interview with The Oklahoman, Ward disclosed plans for the new building, which will replace a parking garage and office tower across from the tower that overlooks Kerr Park. In its place, SandRidge intends to erect a new multi-story building that will house a fitness center, auditorium, a restaurant and retail space that will open into a revamped Kerr Park.

The roof of the "120 Building” will include basketball courts and green space not currently found anywhere downtown. A similar green space, Ward said, will be added to the top of the Braniff Building, 324 N Robinson Ave. — the one old building on the campus Ward plans to keep intact.

"We felt as if the Braniff building is a cornerstone building for the city, so we want to restore it,” he said.

[Ed Note: inserted photos of Braniff Building ...

... end Ed Note]

Ward, however, doesn’t plan to seek to convert the building into housing, as was originally pursued by Kerr-McGee before the company was acquired by Houston-based Anadarko Petroleum in 2006.

Instead, Ward hopes to fix up the building, create retail space on the first floor and either allow the remaining space to be used by the city for "growth related to downtown” or for future expansion of SandRidge Energy’s work force.

SandRidge will file an application with the city next month to tear down the one-time home of the YMCA at the corner of Robert S. Kerr and Robinson, the 111 Robert S. Kerr Building, which was built in 1902 but was covered with a false concrete facade in the mid-20th century, and the 11-story "KerMac Building” at 135 Robert S. Kerr.

By doing so, Ward said, the company will be able to create a new main, consolidated tower entrance opening up to the southwest corner of Robert S. Kerr and Robinson — into the heart of the central business district.
    Read more

As one interested in historical preservation, it will be particularly sad to see the 1902 India Temple building bite the dust. Though you wouldn't recognize it from the drawing below, done in 1903 ...

... or from this photo in an early-day postcard ...

... the original building still stands but has been hidden from public view for several decades after Kerr-McGee enclosed it with false fronts. It sits at the SE corner of the Sandridge Campus, at Broadway & Kerr.

This 1902 building later became the Wright Building and served as the temporary location for the state legislature between 1913-1917, until the the State Capitol was completed.

I surely would have liked to see Sandridge find a way to strip away the false exterior and restore this historic 1902 building to a place of honor. If not the oldest (and it may well be), it is certainly one of the oldest buildings still standing in Oklahoma City, even with its false front.

But, then, I don't own the property, and I do appreciate this initiative of a downtown corporation in the ways described in the article. I'll hold out hope that Sandridge may come to see this building as at least as historically important as the 1923 Braniff Building which is included in its plan for renovation and reuse.

The building referred to as the "KerMac" building is another vintage building which will bite the dust in Sandridge's proposal. Originally, this building was the Oklahoma Savings & Loan built in 1929:

As exciting as this development is, I'll mourn the loss of yet 2 more vintage buildings, one having a particularly unique place in our city's history.

Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

Thanks Doug for another great post. The false front part reminds me of a county courthouse (?) somewhere in Oklahoma that had the same thing done to it. They discovered the hidden treasure during demolition (this was in an article in the past year I think). But think that the article indicated they proceeded with the demo and didn't try to save anything. Sad.

Anyway, this is just another example of a long list of the "forward momentum" continuing with or without MAPS 3. Just as it has been doing for the past 16 years.

5. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

Bravo for such grand plans by Sandridge. However, I too am extrememly uncomfortable with demolishing the old India Temple. We have lost too much built history as it is.

"New multi-story" building. I wonder what this means? Multi-story being 4-5 floors or 10-20 floors. ?

Maybe Steve will write a follow up article or blog post about the discussion regarding preserving, restoring, or replacing the buildings.

It really does not upset me though and, in fact, relieves me some because I was afraid there might not be anything done there.

Also I can see how this plan does provide additional benefit and opportunity for the entire downtown area.

Unlike Larry it seems to me that this project only adds to the idea of continuing improvements to the heart of Oklahoma City.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Thanks Doug for another great post. The false front part reminds me of a county courthouse (?) somewhere in Oklahoma that had the same thing done to it. They discovered the hidden treasure during demolition (this was in an article in the past year I think). But think that the article indicated they proceeded with the demo and didn't try to save anything. Sad.

Anyway, this is just another example of a long list of the "forward momentum" continuing with or without MAPS 3. Just as it has been doing for the past 16 years.
    I too would like to see them try to strip the facade and, since Tom Ward is so pro-downtown would love to ask him why he isn't planning on doing so.

Larry of course there will be some forward momentum without MAPS passing, but I think one would be fooling oneself if one thought momentum won't increase dramatically if MAPS passes. Why settle for less?

9. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

There will be more coverage for sure. SandRidge was wanting to withhold some details until January. But there are other bits of info that cut due to space that I'll post on my blog today.

Help me get all these buildings and proposed developments straight.

Match the letter in the map to the number below:

(Here are my best guesses: 1-B, 2-E, 3- D, 4-A, 5-C

#1 – The new building, which will replace a parking garage and office tower across from the tower that overlooks Kerr Park. In its place, SandRidge intends to erect a new multi-story building that will house a fitness center, auditorium, a restaurant and retail space that will open into a revamped Kerr Park. The roof of the "120 Building” will include basketball courts and green space not currently found anywhere downtown.

#2 - A similar green space will be added to the top of the Braniff Building, 324 N Robinson Ave. — the one old building on the campus Ward plans to keep intact. Ward hopes to fix up the building, create retail space on the first floor and either allow the remaining space to be used by the city for "growth related to downtown” or for future expansion of SandRidge Energy’s work force.

#3 - SandRidge will file an application with the city next month to tear down the one-time home of the YMCA at the corner of Robert S. Kerr and Robinson

#4 – (also tear down) 111 Robert S. Kerr Building (is this the former India Temple?), which was built in 1902 but was covered with a false concrete facade in the mid-20th century

#5 – (also tear down) the 11-story "KerMac Building” at 135 Robert S. Kerr.

11. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

D and C need to be reversed. Something that may confuse history buffs is that the KerMac title was used for three different buildings during the life of Kerr-McGee. A similiar situation occurred with the Oklahoma Hardware Co. in Bricktown.

Steve, your article says the former Y building is at the corner of Robinson and RSK. Is this not correct?

Also, the first rendering (with the basketball court) shows green space where there is now the west part of the parking structure... Is the plan to tear that out and create a park?

13. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

The difficulty in describing that building is that it morphs into the old KerMac building... the rendering is of the building that will replace the old garage, which currently overlooks Kerr Park....

Thanks for the clarification. I guess in any case both those buildings will be coming down.

But the question about parking was directed at what I labeled "West Parking" in the aerial. In the basketball court rendering, that space is covered with trees. So, this part of the parking structure is to be demolished as well as the building across the street from the tower?

15. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

I'm posting on OKC Central in a few minutes a more detailed description of where everything is at. Sadly, space, while generous, didn't allow for printing everything I would have wanted.

Great! Look forward to it.

I'm also curious about the need to tear down the former India Temple building... Perhaps they are planning to expand the East Parking to make up for the other parking demolition?

This is the building that would be demolished to make room for the new building with the basketball court on the roof... It's 14 stories! That's a big building to knock down right in the middle of the CBD -- will make for an interesting demolition process:

For those wanting to know more about the plans for Couch Park, which SandRidge is also going to maintain and renovate..

RANDY FLOYD ARCHITECTS | Oklahoma City, OK

19. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

Spartan, that's not the plan. I'll explain later. For now, see my latest post on this at OKC Central - Information about Oklahoma City, Bricktown and beyond

Do you think that the city will allow them to tear down these historic buildings? I like the ambition of the plan, but I don't like the tearing down of buildings. We should try to salvage as many as we can. I just worry if the price of Nat Gas stays low that they won't finish their project and we will have torn down more buildings and have nothing to show for it.

steve, do you have any more info. about the proposed "multi-story" building that will replace the parking garage and office tower across the street? also, will drawings/plans be presented to the public in the 1-12-10 unveiling?

I would be concerned that they tear down all these buildings and nothing goes up in their place. Natural gas isn't exactly strong right now and I'm constantly hearing about a glut of reserves in this country.

Plus, has there ever really been a detailed feasibilty study done on the restoration of the India Temple? Whether it's possible, what the cost would be, etc. It's been said that nobody is sure whether the original facade is intact - well, let's get in there and knock a chunk of concrete off.

I have a feeling that this is going to get interesting.

Great information in Steve's blog, specifically the quotes from Anthony McDermid (who I respect and trust) saying the old India Temple building is beyond saving.

Still, I wonder what Sandridge plans to do with that site?

I suppose we'll learn a lot more in about a month when they release more detailed plans.

Also, I'd love to see some before and after photos of the interior of the tower.

24. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

As someone who is very pro-historic preservation, I'm far more concerned in this case about the loss of urban fabric, much of it upper-story, historic or not. Concern about preserving the India Shrine Temple is admirable -- and appropriate -- but tearing down buildings that line downtown streets and replacing them with plazas or other street-level amenities is a far more treacherous proposition. It is the continued suburbanization of downtown, and flies in the face of all of the effort Oklahoma City is putting toward "walkability." Less building frontage at zero setback = less pedestrian-friendly environment. This is an accepted rule of good urban planning.

What we don't know (maybe these are the details Steve promises to print in January) is what the demolished structures would be replaced with. If there are going to be other structures that come out to and interact with the street, eliminating a gap-toothed appearance, it will be more acceptable than just tearing them down to make the corporate tower more visible. I'm really interested in seeing what their planning firm (much lauded, if I remember), has come up with.

25. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

I wish the India Temple could be salvaged for reasons already mentioned. The others--especially the garage next to Kerr Park--I can live without.

If they demolish everything they want to, it's sure going to leave a lot of empty space, and only the garage has a replacement building planned.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    "New multi-story" building. I wonder what this means? Multi-story being 4-5 floors or 10-20 floors. ?
    From the rendering it appears to be the former, when compared to the adjacent Dowell Building.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    This is the building that would be demolished to make room for the new building with the basketball court on the roof... It's 14 stories! That's a big building to knock down right in the middle of the CBD -- will make for an interesting demolition process:
    It's also just about the ugliest building downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    For those wanting to know more about the plans for Couch Park, which SandRidge is also going to maintain and renovate..

RANDY FLOYD ARCHITECTS | Oklahoma City, OK
    That appears to just be her entry to the contest. It can't be the plan they are using because Project 180 calls for there to no longer be any vehicle traffic through there.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Thread Information