Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 166 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151661111 ... LastLast

Thread: SandRidge Center & Commons

Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

Plans are to be released on Jan. 28.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Plans are to be released on Jan. 28.
    I heard they were going to make the plaza twice as big so they have to change the plans. Just kidding.

Maybe they can just take out all of downtown and propose to turn the whole thing into an entrance plaza to two skyscrapers, Devon on the SW, SandRidge on the NE..and then of course we'll just have to put up some shabby parking structures on the sites once SandRidge gets acquired and shipped to Houston before finishing their plan. That sounds great for downtown.

^^^After all those historic, BEAUTIFUL buildings downtown were decimated in the past 35 years, I still can't believe the lack of outrage at the prospect of MORE buildings being torn down.

I don't know. I give up. OVER IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Not exactly over the top great - but then how great can a plaza be? I am not happy to lose any buildings but I do understand the desire to reduce the wind problem caused by narrow passages between buildings.

7. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

Architecturally interesting, but extremely un-urban.

I like it. Reminds me of this plaze near times square in NYC that I was at.

I agree that the components of this design are aesthetically pleasing and the buildings that are to be added are by themselves very nice architecturally. But I have to echo the sentiments of the others that at what cost to the loss of density. The reason given to reduce or prevent the venturi effect? Really?!?! I know that wind in urban settings can be intense and uncomfortable but that doesn't fly as reason enough to justify the void created in the existing downtown core. I would prefer or feel better about it if they stated that it was a space place holder allowing for future development to infill.

Do New York, Chicago, Tokyo, London, etc. simply tear down buildings to alleviate wind problems? Downtown OKC is the most urban little area of the state. Why do we insist on continuing the destruction that Urban Renewal started?

I don't see big plazas and parks smack dab in the middle of Times Square. Then again, all the wind tunnels in Manhattan don't matter since there's no people there.....

Interesting corporate testosterone display, but SHAME on OKC if they let Sandridge turn downtown into a suburbian wasteland. And SHAME on its citizens if they don't see this means that their own heritage is being destroyed.... AGAIN.

Why not just knock down all the buildings downtown and build a gigantic park?

Caveat: The old multi-level parking garage can go. At least it wasn't a former state capital building.

Word to the wise:

If you are against the further demolition of downtown, the City can't stop this without your voice. Write your councilperson and show up to whichever Downtown Design Review agenda this eventually ends up on.

Not a fan at all.

It would be different if downtown OKC had tons of buildings and few open spaces. Then a plaza would be unique. However, it is the other way around in OKC. Tall buildings are unique and open space is everywhere. I think they need to go back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    It would be different if downtown OKC had tons of buildings and few open spaces. Then a plaza would be unique. However, it is the other way around in OKC. Tall buildings are unique and open space is everywhere. I think they need to go back to the drawing board.
    I do too, but does their development even require approval from Urban Design? Forgive me for my cynicism but it seems powerful interests can do whatever they want in this town.

16. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

The new buildings are interesting, but the loss of the streetwall along Robinson is just too much. Therefore, I don't like it.

This is really serious now. What can we do to galvanize support for this issue. Sandridge needs to understand they can't get away with this!
    Someone call in the reserves!

Steve.. Please write an opinion-making article about this! Le'ts not let it happen!!

That architecture firm obviously didn't do their research. They focused on the environment of OKC and not the history.

How do we stop the destruction? This and the convention center will destroy more history than anything else in the city since Urban Renewal!

19. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

This is wholesomely discouraging.

I'll echo the sentiments of others. Those new buildings are pretty. It's the destruction of the older structures and replacement by trees that is disgusting. This really looks like a suburban paradise in the rendering. Guess what? It's Downtown OKC; I applaud Sandrige for taking the steps necessary to clean up and improve their campus and thus the north side of downtown. But this is a huge step backwards and is not going to help urbanity at all. There's not a single building fronting the north side of that street. Not one.

And are people really complaining about the wind tunnel effect? Are you kidding me?!

20. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

David, as I recall you are an architect. My job is to ask questions and provoke discussion and debate. I will gladly invite you to write a guest post pointing out why you disagree with these plans.

21. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

I just came along this image from the firm's site and this image has perked some curiousity in me.

Does anyone have any idea what these placeholder buildings at 4th and along Broadway are? Do they own those empty lots? If so, do they plan on redeveloping them accordingly? I found that strange.

Hi Steve,
    Actually I'm not an architect and don't even live in OKC anymore, but I was born and raised there and lived through the destruction of downtown when a teenager. I've now lived in Europe for 25 years and have seen how important history is to the preservation of culture. Where I live (Amsterdam) is a vibrant and wonderful city. Partly because they realize the importance of history and good city planning that takes people into account and not just corporate bravado.

OKC remains my hometown and I want it to prosper, but also taking into account these very principles of heritage, preservation and planning.

I will therefore take you up on your challenge to write a guest post. Give me a day or so.
    David

23. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

You've been very articulate every time I've seen you post here, so let's still go with it!

24. Default Re: Sandridge Plans for Kerr-McGee

Anyone who favors these plans can contact me and I'll consider a similar guest post representing the other side.

For what it is, I think the designs are superb. I can't imagine a better open-spaced plaza in a downtown area. However, it will be a shame to lose the streetfronts. Have these designs been approved by the design review committee?

Thread Information