Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Redhawks SOLD

1. Default Oklahoma City Redhawks SOLD

I think this is important enough to be in the metro section as it's business-related versus just sports discussion.

Big news.....

The Oklahoma City Redhawks have been sold to Mandalay Entertainment out of Los Angeles. The sale was announced this afternoon. The team will lose its affiliation with the Texas Rangers (but would have anyway) because Nolan Ryan, a major owner of the Rangers also owns the Round Rock (Austin) AAA team and the partnership there just makes sense.

Art Matin, CEO of Mandalay says the Redhawks will retain the name, logo and Pacific Coast League affiliation. Any MLB team affiliation will be announced on Thursday afternoon .

The positives are that Mandalay knows how to entertain. If anybody is familiar with the Double-A Frisco Roughriders you know how entertaining their games are. They make a trip to the ball park an experience. Mandalay is credited with one of the biggest turnarounds in minor league baseball with the Dayton Dragons.

NewsOK now has an interview up with Art Matin:
    http://stage.newsok.com/redhawks-get...o/609906362001

Default Re: Oklahoma City Redhawks SOLD

I sure hope we do have MLB affiliation. Part of the fun is watching games when big names (not all stars of course) come through when coming off an injury list or just in a bad slump.

3. Default Re: Oklahoma City Redhawks SOLD

Art Matin is a class act. This is great for OKC. No question there will be a MLB affiliation, he just can't discuss it until Thursday.

Sounds good, let the speculation begin.

Don't really care about which MLB team they end up with but they better continue Thirsty Thursdays dammit

6. Default Re: Oklahoma City Redhawks SOLD

Check out this stat from the Oklahoman:

"Mandalay-owned Dayton has sold out 774 games since beginning play in 2000. The Dragons are on track to break the all-time sellout streak in professional sports, currently held by the Portland Trail Blazers with 814, sometime next summer."

The Brick holds 13,066. I wonder what our current average attendance is? Would be nice to compare the two once Mandalay has some time to play with it.

8. Default Re: Oklahoma City Redhawks SOLD

Attendance was a little off this year: 367,082, an average of 5478.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...d=112&sid=l112

That's not too bad considering it's AAA. I'll try to attend some more games next year, haven't had ANY time or money this year.

10. Default Re: Oklahoma City Redhawks SOLD

The Redhawks games are great. I think it was kind of a bad deal to change ticketing to show
    a advance and day of ticket price. I think it was 2$ more for a ticket if you picked it up on
    the day of the game which made very little sense to me.

Chris
    www.radiookc.com

11. Default Re: Oklahoma City Redhawks SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by RadioOKC View Post
    The Redhawks games are great. I think it was kind of a bad deal to change ticketing to show
    a advance and day of ticket price. I think it was 2$ more for a ticket if you picked it up on
    the day of the game which made very little sense to me.

Chris
    www.radiookc.com
    Chris, One thing the CEO of Mandalay talked about was putting together mini-packages of 7 and 14 games. This is a great idea for those who want to go more than once or twice but can't afford the season ticket packages.

I'm really excited about this change. I spend about a 1/3 of my time in Plano and have seen the success of the Frisco Roughriders at Dr. Pepper Ballpark, which is considered one of the finest Double-A parks in the country (pic below). The marketing and promotion of the Roughriders is incredible. In fact, I have talked to many people who say they have more fun at Frisco games than Ranger games. To succeed with promoting and filling seats for a AA minor league team in a big league metroplex - that takes some skill. I think they'll take AAA ball to a new level here in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Chris, One thing the CEO of Mandalay talked about was putting together mini-packages of 7 and 14 games. This is a great idea for those who want to go more than once or twice but can't afford the season ticket packages.
    Mini-plans are great! We buy a Texas Rangers 16 game mini-plan every year. The best way to make sure to see Opening Day, 4th of July, Yankees (BOO!), and Red Sox (boo!) games.

13. Default Re: Oklahoma City Redhawks SOLD

Just some questions.

Who own the Bricktown Ballpark?

Now that the Redhawks is under new ownership, is there such plan to relocate the team elsewhere (hopefully not Seattle)?

And how exactly does this affect OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Just some questions.

Who own the Bricktown Ballpark?

Now that the Redhawks is under new ownership, is there such plan to relocate the team elsewhere (hopefully not Seattle)?

And how exactly does this affect OKC?
    Who owns = The City
    Relocate = no announced plans (and presumed highly unlikely)
    Impact = becomes a farm club to someone other than Rangers, and as already noted, that was happening with or without an ownership change. New owners may bring better promotions and a better experience overall for the fans.

something interesting i read today concerning affiliation...
    "With the two-year agreement, there are only two Triple-A teams looking for affiliates: Las Vegas and Oklahoma City. (Technically, we've not seen anything from Sacramento/Oakland and Pawtucket/Boston reupping, but we'd be amazed if either pair left each other.) The two MLB teams left in the dance are Houston and Toronto, who had the Las Vegas 51s (Class AAA; Pacific Coast League) as its top farm team last season. It's an open secret Toronto wasn't very happy in Vegas -- playing in the hot desert sun didn't agree with many of its players, apparently -- and Houston was left in the lurch by the Round Rock Express (Class AAA; Pacific Coast League)."
    http://ballparkdigest.com/2010091530...wers-renew-pdc

16. Default Re: Oklahoma City Redhawks SOLD

No, no move. If you watch the interview with Art Matin (CEO of Mandalay) he makes it clear they've been working on getting into the OKC market for a long time. They are excited about Oklahoma City. They've spent a year trying to buy this club.

Sidenote: for those of you who haven't been, you can see the Frisco (Dallas) Ikea just behind the ballpark to the left top in the above picture.

I think the best case scenario would be to sign a 2 year PDC with Houston or Toronto, and then start marketing OKC to the Cardinals ownership in hopes of becoming their AAA club in 2012. Reports are that they aren't happy with the facilities in Memphis and the Cardinals already have a good fan base around here.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    Mini-plans are great! We buy a Texas Rangers 16 game mini-plan every year. The best way to make sure to see Opening Day, 4th of July, Yankees (BOO!), and Red Sox (boo!) games.
    No no no RED SOX GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    No no no RED SOX GOOD!
    Finally, the Red Sox in Arlington some time other than August...which they continue that tradition as well. So we will head up for the Sox in Arlington in April and Houston in June.

Didn't Hicks own Frisco? Was it sold before the bankruptcy?

21. Default Re: Oklahoma City Redhawks SOLD

Mandalay actually moved the AA franchise from Shreveport to Frisco and Hicks was involved some way, though I'm not sure how exactly. That's the connection with the Rangers anyway. I don't think he has anything to do with Frisco now.

22. Default Re: Oklahoma City Redhawks SOLD

I think the the Redhawks old management really tried to do what they could to bring people in. Food from historic ballparks exc and it never really did work. These guys sound like they have it together. I look forward to next season. Anyone seen any news of changes in the front office as of yet?

Chris
    www.radiookc.com

Are we sure this story is even true? Has anyone seen a friend's friend on Facebook talking about some other friend whose friend said their other friend had sealed this deal in blood?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike View Post
    I think the best case scenario would be to sign a 2 year PDC with Houston or Toronto, and then start marketing OKC to the Cardinals ownership in hopes of becoming their AAA club in 2012. Reports are that they aren't happy with the facilities in Memphis and the Cardinals already have a good fan base around here.

That's the route that would be the most productive in the long run!

I though Express Sports owned the Redhawks and always talked about how they wanted to own this team for along time. Any reason why they sold the team?

Thread Information