Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112

Thread: Dowell Center

Default Re: Dowell Center

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    I'm not trying to offend, but I am not a Rick Dowell fan. I fear that when/if his remodeling of this building is finished it won't look much different than it does now.
    Rick Dowell is virtually clueless when it comes to urban design and placemaking and the thing is, he doesn't even care. The worst offender is that parking garage. However, most Dowell buildings have the same tinted windows and look lifeless at street level.

While I agree the sidewalk situation was ridiculous, but I think Rick Dowell gets a bad rap. What does he do? He buys vacant buildings, that NOBODY else wants, does a basic re-do and leases them for rates below CBD rates. If the tenant wants additional finish, it's on them. His buildings at 4th and Walker do very well financially. His tenants enjoy on-site parking and pay much less than Leadership Square, etc.

He may not appeal to our tastes, but at least he is doing something. Rehabilitating long-vacant buildings is very expensive.

This building continues to sit empty and completely idle.

Dowell has owned this property for 22 years. Twenty. Two. Years.

It is the only empty downtown building not under construction.

With the increasing office vacancy rate downtown, I wish he would take a serious look at converting it to housing.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    With the increasing office vacancy rate downtown, I wish he would take a serious look at converting it to housing.
    Imagine if that was housing and the glass building next door housed amenities much like what sandridge was originally proposing such as a pool, cafe, work out center, ping pong, etc (it'd be cool if it were open to the public as well. Dowell Center is right on the park, has garage access through the underground, and would be a short skip over to First Natty and Park ave. Would be cool!

It's quite similar to the Park Harvey and that conversion to housing seems to have been quite successful, and they don't even have parking.

http://www.normantranscript.com/news...41f1c6c09.html

Maybe leaving the multi-family market will give Dowell time and resources to finally work on this building instead.

9. Default Re: Dowell Center

lmao

I thought this quote from the Norman Transcript article was very telling...“They’re run down and have a lot of deferred maintenance,” said Forrest Jinks, Altus Equity.

Whether he deserves the rep or not, this is how I always feel about this properties and projects.

Since Dowell completely ceased work a couple of months ago, the City should make him take this down.

It's been like this -- usually with trucks pulled up on the sidewalk -- for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Since Dowell completely ceased work a couple of months ago, the City should make him take this down.

It's been like this -- usually with trucks pulled up on the sidewalk -- for two years.

I think it’s time for everyone to send emails and call to city councilmans, action center, mayors office etc.
    Ive had great responses when I email my councilman directly with complaints and frustrations.

If enough people start taking action and letting the city know this is unacceptable, surely the city will take action.

From Saturday:

I think the fastest way to get anything done here is for one of us to start living in it and claim squatter’s rights. What’s another 15 years, right?

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    I think the fastest way to get anything done here is for one of us to start living in it and claim squatter’s rights. What’s another 15 years, right?
    If we would have started 8 years after he bought it we'd have a legit claim by now.

I saw a window tinting service leaving the Dowell Center yesterday so that means that this development is definitely starting to ramp up again. Rick has marked his territory!! now expect roman columns to be installed and evergreens to be planted soon..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A608059D-23B7-4097-8368-11B9EEF2177A.jpeg 
Views:	150 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	14799
    Took it down

I believe someone reported it to the city and they forced the issue with Dowell.

Crews have been working on the interior again, windows have been tinted and washed.

20. Default Re: Dowell Center

I feel like we've heard this story before.

What decade or century is he living in...tinting the windows???

We missed an important anniversary.

In June, Dowell passed 35 years of ownership.

Still completely empty.

He is THE WORST to work with haha. Hope this thing changes hands soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pet Building.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	16426

Shout out to what was lost, errr covered.

Thread Information