Widgets Magazine

Thread: Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

Default Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

Edmond City Council approved a commercial site plan to allow Sara Sara Cupcakes to open in a renovated house at 17 E Fifth St. The original Sara Sara Cupcakes opened in Oklahoma City in November 2008.

Read more: http://newsok.com/sara-sara-cupcakes...#ixzz0ywrTy1mx

2. Default Re: Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

Glad it seems to be working for them. I love cup cakes but have only had marginally 'good' ones at their downtown location. I'm waiting for this cup cake fad to fizzle. I think if you combine gourmet cup cakes with very fancy sheet and sculpted cakes then you've probably got a viable long term business model.

Default Re: Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

I didn't realize that Sara cupcakes business was doing that well to justify a second location. Good for them, best of luck.

I'm glad to see them finally coming to Edmond. Our family loves them, and instead of birthday cakes, we've gone to ordering cupcakes from Sara Sara instead. It will be nice to have them right here in Edmond.

5. Default Re: Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

Went back to Sara Sara yesterday after doing 1/2 price sushi at Pachinko Parlor. The wife and I got the strawberry cupcake. Literally after we each had a bite, we agreed it was terrible and we got up and left. At almost $4, the place is a rip-off.

I agree that paying $4 for a dry and tasteless cupcake is ridiculous. Did you, however, let them know that you were displeased? Just leaving and never coming back serves no purpose other than to make you feel better. They deserve to know if there is something wrong and I don't think I would make a definitive judgement after eating half of one cupcake.

7. Default Re: Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I agree that paying $4 for a dry and tasteless cupcake is ridiculous. Did you, however, let them know that you were displeased? Just leaving and never coming back serves no purpose other than to make you feel better. They deserve to know if there is something wrong and I don't think I would make a definitive judgement after eating half of one cupcake.
    Actually, in this day and age owners of any customer oriented business know exactly what their patrons are thinking by simply going online and reading any one of a dozen review sites. A look over Sara Sara's reviews would clearly show the owner that while some still rave about the place, many have had the same experience we did. And yes I posted online too. Personally, I've found businesses tend to react to public criticism more than private.

Also, the only person minding the store was some very young girl who didn't even bother to greet guests as they came in, didn't ask how they were doing, if this was their first visit, or they had any questions or even bother to smile.

We did however get up an comment out loud that it was 'terrible' and got up to leave. The girl at the counter didn't even look up from her phone.

As for
    I don't think I would make a definitive judgement after eating half of one cupcake.
    - if you read my previous post you'd know I've tried them a few times and it was never very good. Lastly, I don't need to eat something entirely to know its no good. Why would I continue to eat something that tasted bad?

I personally love Sara Sara, far better than dry and plain Cuppies & Joe. Another good alternative is Green Goodies in Nichols Hills. VERY moist and delicious cupcakes.

I dont think Sara Sara is that good either, and didnt think they were doing the kind of business that allows them to open a second location. Best of luck to them though. Metro, Im not sure how you think Cuppies n Joe's cupcakes are drier than sara. It seems to me to be the opposite.

they are both somewhat dry, sara sara's are more dense, making them seem drier, but far better quality ingredients. the best I've tasted in Oklahoma are Market C and Green Goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    they are both somewhat dry, sara sara's are more dense, making them seem drier, but far better quality ingredients. the best I've tasted in Oklahoma are Market C and Green Goodies.
    Napoleon or Little Red-headed boy??

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Actually, in this day and age owners of any customer oriented business know exactly what their patrons are thinking by simply going online and reading any one of a dozen review sites. A look over Sara Sara's reviews would clearly show the owner that while some still rave about the place, many have had the same experience we did. And yes I posted online too. Personally, I've found businesses tend to react to public criticism more than private.

Also, the only person minding the store was some very young girl who didn't even bother to greet guests as they came in, didn't ask how they were doing, if this was their first visit, or they had any questions or even bother to smile.

We did however get up an comment out loud that it was 'terrible' and got up to leave. The girl at the counter didn't even look up from her phone.

As for - if you read my previous post you'd know I've tried them a few times and it was never very good. Lastly, I don't need to eat something entirely to know its no good. Why would I continue to eat something that tasted bad?
    I'm not saying you should go back if you're unhappy with the food but saying the management should rely on internet comments is not a valid way to conduct a business. Anyone can post any kind of comments online even if they've never been to the business. How would you know what to believe. Those who are unhappy or have had a bad experience are much more likely to comment than those who are completely satisfied. I always take public internet reviews with a grain of salt. You never know for sure what motivates people. Contacting the management directly is much more effective if you have a valid complaint and I doubt seriously that the girl who ignored you was in a management position.

The last time I had a problem with a business I didn't have time to ask for a manager while I was there but later sent an email to the headquarters directly with the complaint. The next day the location manager called me directly to apologize and offer ammends. I guess I could have come here and posted a complaint but that would have been basically getting nothing accomplished except to vent.

13. Default Re: Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

I always take public internet reviews with a grain of salt. You never know for sure what motivates people.
    Yeah, I feel the same way about people posting on forums telling me how I should address businesses I'm unhappy with - especially when from my perspective they don't have a clue about my actual experiences.

First, it's a damn cupcake. Second, I'd rather let other customers know my experience than trust that a small business owner who often takes criticism personal to do the right thing. Third, a good business owner DOES check and listen to online reviews. Fourth, I happen to post reviews (good/bad/neutral) online from time-to-time. Four of the businesses I posted neutral to negative reviews on have all contacted me personally in response to those reviews. The most recent was Cafe Nova. The manager there took the time to write a direct response that included that she had shared my review with the staff and that they had implemented several changes based on that review.

Here is her unsolicited email to me....

Rachel sent you a message on Urbanspoon:

Brian--

I am disappointed to see that you had a lackluster experience at Cafe Nova a few weeks ago. I want you to know that we took your review to heart and have made changes in the areas you found fault. French toast is one of my favorite breakfast items and I definitely agree that it was mediocre, to say the least. I personally have joined our chef in keeping a close eye on the quality and changed the way we add the bananas. We have also created a new method for cooking the waffles and feel that we have succeeded in making them better--there's nothing worse than luke-warm food! Cleaning up the parking lot and surrounding arears has become an obsession of mine after our late-night bar services. I thank you for your honest review. We hope you will try us again in the near future.

Best Regards,
    Rachel Cope
    General Manager
    405-525-6682
    Before that was Big Track Taco (neutral review on my part, but I still love the place), before that I heard back directly from Bolero (bad food and bad service) and then someone else that escapes me before that (Mexican restaurant).

So.... for the record, many of this city's most successful restaurants DO READ ONLINE REVIEWS - hmmmm, maybe that's just one of many signs of a good and well informed restaurant. Personally, if a restaurant owner took your advice, then I wouldn't expect much from that restaurant to begin with.

Personally, I don't like the strawberry cupcake at SaraSara. I think it's their worst, and I agree that it is dry. However, their crimson and cream, coconut and german choclate cake cupcakes are very good. I haven't tried all of them, as those are the three I have trouble passing up. So, if your comment causes them to improve their strawberry cupcake, that's a good thing. I don't, however, think you can generalize from one cupcake to the entire restaurant.

15. Default Re: Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

I don't, however, think you can generalize from one cupcake to the entire restaurant.
    I would agree - HOWEVER, as I indicated I had tried other cupcakes there and found them only marginally good. Certainly not good enough for a business that specializes in cupcakes.

On the positive, we drove to Edmond today to satisfy our cupcake craving at Cafe 501. In my opinion the best chocolate cupcake around and for less $.

Best cupcakes I've found are from Sugar in Norman. They're not super fancy - chocolate, vanilla, red velvet, strawberry, lemon and strawberry-lemonade - but they're always moist & the frosting is just right.

Yeah, I feel the same way about people posting on forums telling me how I should address businesses I'm unhappy with - especially when from my perspective they don't have a clue about my actual experiences.

First, it's a damn cupcake. Second, I'd rather let other customers know my experience than trust that a small business owner who often takes criticism personal to do the right thing. Third, a good business owner DOES check and listen to online reviews. Fourth, I happen to post reviews (good/bad/neutral) online from time-to-time. Four of the businesses I posted neutral to negative reviews on have all contacted me personally in response to those reviews. The most recent was Cafe Nova. The manager there took the time to write a direct response that included that she had shared my review with the staff and that they had implemented several changes based on that review.

Here is her unsolicited email to me....

Before that was Big Track Taco (neutral review on my part, but I still love the place), before that I heard back directly from Bolero (bad food and bad service) and then someone else that escapes me before that (Mexican restaurant).

So.... for the record, many of this city's most successful restaurants DO READ ONLINE REVIEWS - hmmmm, maybe that's just one of many signs of a good and well informed restaurant. Personally, if a restaurant owner took your advice, then I wouldn't expect much from that restaurant to begin with.
    You can address your complaints anyway you please. It doesn't matter to me in the least. Whether I agree with you or not doesn't really matter and what your experiences were at some particular business doesn't really matter either in what I said. I just gave you my opinion on the best way to handle it and I stand by my comments. I've seen so many online reviews of all kinds of businesses that are so far off base it's ridiculous. Many people go to a business with a chip on their shoulder basically saying "I dare you to do something that I don't like". I disregard most of them for good reason. I still contend that people who are unhappy are much more likely to post than those who are pleased. A business is still much more likely to respond and make changes when confronted with something more personal than an online review. Frankly, you just sound like someone who is more interested in attracting attention when you're unhappy than actually getting something done to help.

18. Default Re: Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

Obviously there are bogus reviews posted online - I didn't realize I needed to get into Internet 101. In a completely different thread I even commented that people should not trust a site where the public is invited to give their bed bug experiences/reviews. The problem with the site was the fact no registration was required. On reputable review sites not only do you have to register, but your registered profile most often contains your posting history. That history and what and how you format your review is what gives the review(er) credibility. Naturally if someone is just mouthing off or they've only bothered to post one review (or all negative reviews) then it should be suspect.

I still contend that people who are unhappy are much more likely to post than those who are pleased.
    Take Sara Sara for instance.... on Yelp (where I reviewed them) they have 13 positive reviews and only 3 negative. That being said, on UrbanSpoon there are 32 negative reviews and 24 positive. What gave the negative reviews credability is that most were sincere and virtually all the negative complaints were identical - dry and too dense. I don't think people are overwhelmingly more likely to post a review only if it was a bad experience. Social media is huge and review sites are a very big part of that. Before there was UrbanSpoon and Yelp we all had our own circle of friends and co-workers we relied on as our mini review site - "Hey what did you think about that movie?" "How was that restaurant?" People simply like to share their experiences and hear about others. We often read reviews before trying new places and many times make our ordering decision based on recommendations of others. We tried Picasso for the 1st time two nights ago based on online reviews and we even ordered a particular appetizer and entree because so many people raved about it. I've gotta tell you, I agreed with them and it was delicious.

Lastly on that note, you might try reading reputable marketing periodicals. Over and over again they encourage business owners to keep up with social media sites and reviews of their establishment to have a realistic idea what the public thinks.

Frankly, you just sound like someone who is more interested in attracting attention when you're unhappy than actually getting something done to help.
    I hate to break this to you.... but we're both posting to public forums - so yeah, we're not exactly shying from attention. In my opinion you're so stuck in your own opinion you ignore reality. I gave very specific examples where my public review/criticism actually got the changes I was suggesting - so, obviously your assessment missed the mark.

19. Default Re: Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

I didn't realize I needed to get into Internet 101.
    Maybe not, but the Internet expert instructors are always ready to let folks know just how stupid they are.

20. Default Re: Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Maybe not, but the Internet expert instructors are always ready to let folks know just how stupid they are.
    Hmmmm, I figured you'd definitely be a contender to jump in on a cupcake debate, but just didn't figure that would be your 'in.'

And..... FYI Steve, I hardly think pointing out that reputable online review sites are important marketing gauges for a business makes anyone an 'Internet expert.' And I at least did bother to back up my opinion with examples. I would think someone of your high journalistic caliber and online experience might actually have something productive to add.

21. Default Re: Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

Not meaning to take after you Brian. Not at all. I was going in a totally different direction, pointing out that anyone who posts on this site, it seems, is almost guaranteed to be lectured to by those who deem themselves experts on everything. As for the the online sites and what's credible or not, I thought you pretty much had it nailed.

22. Default Re: Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

I'm totally perplexed now. On the one hand it sounded like a sincere clarification wrapped in another jab - while at the same time felt like a kick in the gut reality check. I'm not sure if you're a witty genius or, well, just Steve.

23. Default Re: Sara Sara cupcakes opening Edmond location

Just Steve. Seriously. No jab at you. I'll come straight at ya with no games. Your points are valid - you've got to look at the totality of the reviews of an online site to determine what's real, what's not. My initial comment simply reflects my growing weariness with online "experts."

Ingrid's now offers cupcakes. They look really tasty and delicious. I have yet to try one, has anyone tried Ingrid's cupcakes?

I hate to break this to you.... but we're both posting to public forums - so yeah, we're not exactly shying from attention. In my opinion you're so stuck in your own opinion you ignore reality. I gave very specific examples where my public review/criticism actually got the changes I was suggesting - so, obviously your assessment missed the mark.
    I'm hardly going to waste my time visiting a number of sites and counting the positive and negative reviews to make a point and I wasn't just referring to restaurant reviews. I'm in the travel business and get questions about internet reviews from my customers all of the time. I always advise them that while some may be accurate, they should not rely on anything posted by an anonymous person no matter how reliable they may sound. I have previously posted a specific example of how I accomplished what I wanted without going on an internet forum with a review. Either way may work in some cases but I believe my way works best the majority of the time. That is just my opinion and I'm certainly no Internet Expert and have never claimed to be. As I said, you are free to do things as you please. As far as shying from attention, I'm not a "semi-public figure" like you are. You are well known and have never been seen to shy away from attention in any area. You have certainly accomplished some worthwhile things but it's been far from anonymous on your part.

Thread Information