Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Film Row General Thread

Default Re: Film Exchange

Bike lanes?? Never heard of such a thing!! lol.

It seems like this is big news...Film Row's first restaurant and the city's first real bicycle lanes. Steve, where are you?

Is Joey's any good? I went to the one on Classen years ago and was fairly unenthused. I'm a bit of a pizza snob, however. But the space looks fantastic.

I like their pizza. It's not amazingly unique, but they have a good sauce.

5. Default Re: Film Exchange

So just read this article and was wondering if anyone knew more about the School they are talking of and where they want it to go? I would hate for the new Joey's Pizzeria at 700 W. Sheridan to have their new liquor license suddenly invalidated because a school is built nearby. Thoughts?

http://www.newsok.com/article/3552643

I imagine there is some sort of grandfather provision (if the liquor license is issued and it came first). If the school comes first then the license shouldn't have been issued.

The bike lanes look like they might just be placeholders which will one day be occupied by trolley tracks. They're exactly the right width, aren't they?

No those aren't wide enough, if it would be converted to a dedicated streetcar right of way.

I imagine there is some sort of grandfather provision (if the liquor license is issued and it came first)
    This is exactly how it works.

Plus, there are several other restaurants close to the proposed Sheridan/Walker school site but they wouldn't be affected for the same reason.

Well hopefully they will think this through. There may be more than one restaurant/bar to open in the area. A commercial area should be an area in which it is possible to obtain a liquor license.

You would think...

Are they almost done with this project? Anyone have any pics? Would love to see the progress!
    LOL! I guess I missed the earlier post with the pics....
    Last edited by therondo; 04-04-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Found pics

Well, pretty much. Joeys Pizza opened up last week on the ground floor. It is very nice, I ate there for lunch on Tuesday.

14. Default Re: Film Exchange

I'm eating lunch at Joeys tomorrow (Friday, April 8, 2011) at 1pm if anyone want to join me and talk shop about the Film Exchange.

15. Default Spirits of Film Row

While eating lunch at Joey's Pizzeria today in the 700 W. Sheridan space of the Film Exchange building, I couldn't help but notice the view from my table. Gone are the traffic cones and road closed signs. Now the only signs of construction are on the outskirts of Historic Film Row. The row is now standing primed and ready - charting its own course after decades of neglect. Those along the Row are now its caretakers. They are responsible for its future. But they are not alone. If you look carefully, you can still see elements from those who came before. Listen carefully and you might even hear the laughter from one one of its screening rooms. The tinkle of coffee mugs in the Film Coffee Shop. The sound of a Griffith Theatre movie truck promoting War Bonds turning the corner in front of the MGM. The spirits of former employees posing for a quick photo.

The area is alive once again and you can feel it stirring. Welcoming all visitors. Anxious to be part of the cityscape again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	View of Paramount from Joeys.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MGM.jpg 
Views:	620 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	833  

Default Re: Spirits of Film Row

Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    While eating lunch at Joey's Pizzeria today in the 700 W. Sheridan space of the Film Exchange building, I couldn't help but notice the view from my table. Gone are the traffic cones and road closed signs. Now the only signs of construction are on the outskirts of Historic Film Row. The row is now standing primed and ready - charting its own course after decades of neglect. Those along the Row are now its caretakers. They are responsible for its future. But they are not alone. If you look carefully, you can still see elements from those who came before. Listen carefully and you might even hear the laughter from one one of its screening rooms. The tinkle of coffee mugs in the Film Coffee Shop. The sound of a Griffith Theatre movie truck promoting War Bonds turning the corner in front of the MGM. The spirits of former employees posing for a quick photo.

The area is alive once again and you can feel it stirring. Welcoming all visitors. Anxious to be part of the cityscape again.
    Awesome, thanks for the photos!

Default Re: Spirits of Film Row

Amen.

Wow! That first picture is a little creepy... It reminds me of a scary movie...

I ate at Joey's on Friday and just want to say it's was great. The building and the interior look really nice. This will definitely be a cool place to hang out in the future. All of you should go and let us know what you think.

Does Joey's have a full bar?

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Does Joey's have a full bar?
    I talked to the owner Saturday and she said they should have their bar stocked and ready to go by Tuesday (tomorrow)...

That is amazing! It's like looking through a wormhole! Thanks for posting!

23. Default Re: Film Exchange

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5995952...in/photostream

or just another great group photo under the east side Paramount logo...

24. Default Re: Film Exchange

Hey gang!

I just received word that my book Oklahoma City: Film Row will be released August 15, 2011! I am planning on a release/signing cocktail party and can provide more info later. In the meantime, if interested, here is a link on my Film District facebook page about the book.

Oklahoma City Film Row Book Information and Cover

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I ate at Joey's on Friday and just want to say it's was great. The building and the interior look really nice. This will definitely be a cool place to hang out in the future. All of you should go and let us know what you think.
    I think the owner of Joey's should do a Groupon. It would be a great way to get new business and let people know they've moved.

Thread Information