Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Brown's Bakery property

Default Re: Brown's Bakery

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

So interesting!

Thanks for sharing.
    That is very interesting and previous to read the post I wanted this lot torn down and redeveloped but now I hope the preserve that building and as the other poster said the building restored to the former glory. I hope more people learn about or I fear it won’t be long for this world.

I really hope Midtown Renaissance buys it because they have a great track record with restoration.

The original building could be redeveloped then get rid of the junky stuff to the south and be able to build something new.

I really hope Midtown Renaissance buys it because they have a great track record with restoration.

The original building could be redeveloped then get rid of the junky stuff to the south and be able to build something new.
    MR is owned by the Bob Howard group, right? They seem to be on part with what George Kaiser does for Tulsa. We’re lucky to have them.

4. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

The issue of Progressive Architecture which featured Clyde's is online (with much clearer photos) at https://usmodernist.org/PA/PA-1949-05.pdf. The article starts on p.70. (And fair warning -- if you like modern architecture, you'll lose countless hours scrolling through PA's back issues: https://usmodernist.org/index-pa.htm. )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clydes-supermarket-okc-1949-browns-bakery.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	17661

WOW! That would be awesome if Whole Foods bought that and turned it into a grocery store. What an amazing building.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    WOW! That would be awesome if Whole Foods bought that and turned it into a grocery store. What an amazing building.
    Or even Sprouts.

Or even Sprouts.
    Sprouts would be amazing. I’ve already emailed them and Amazon about this place with photos posted by the other poster.

Quote Originally Posted by WileyPostage View Post
    The issue of Progressive Architecture which featured Clyde's is online (with much clearer photos) at https://usmodernist.org/PA/PA-1949-05.pdf. The article starts on p.70. (And fair warning -- if you like modern architecture, you'll lose countless hours scrolling through PA's back issues: https://usmodernist.org/index-pa.htm. )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clydes-supermarket-okc-1949-browns-bakery.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	17661
    First off, the last thing I needed to see was this link... Now I will never get away from the computer screen!!

Second, I like Brown's, but the current shape of this building is so different than what those photos show Clyde's. I would love to see a Sprouts or Amazon type place here. Though it may be too close to the Homeland on Classen for any company to see the profitability of this location. Though a Trader Joe's or Sprout would kill it here with Mesta Park just to the north.

Keep in mind that the old grocery building is only 5,600 SF which is far too small for any type of modern grocery store. A typical Whole Foods is almost 40,000 SF; even Sprouts is close to 30,000 SF. Some Trader Joe's are below 10K SF but most are closer to 15K.

At their asking price of $2.5MM for only .37 acres, I'm not sure there will be any buyers.

Adding the .32 acres to the south will cost another $1.95MM.

Hopefully this isn't just a vacant building "for sale" for the next decade.

There is a help wantd sign on the door, so I don't think they plan on closing anytime soon. This looks more like a situation where they see some high amounts being paid and don't necessarily want to miss out on that.

They are asking nearly $4.5 million for property they bought in 1997 for $167,000.

Good for them if they get anywhere near that.

14. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

looks like a teardown property to me.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    looks like a teardown property to me.
    for the right project absolutely

Is homeland the closest grocery store to midtown, downtown, auto alley, deep deuce?

A small grocery store would be great, demolish that building and put up a new one.

Could make it like 30th street market and flora bodega combined.

OKC needs a good deli like Janes Delicatessen in Tulsa which is a great deli.

Plans for The Nova in Automobile Alley is supposed to be a full-service grocery store.

My wife bought doughnuts at Brown’s this morning and asked when they were closing. The employee responded that they were not closing. Only the south building, adjacent to 10th St. had been sold. Anybody know if the employee is correct? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    My wife bought doughnuts at Brown’s this morning and asked when they were closing. The employee responded that they were not closing. Only the south building, adjacent to 10th St. had been sold. Anybody know if the employee is correct? Just curious.
    that would be really exciting news

** there is no change yet on the county assessor site ..

Good lord it's past time for these folks to read the room and clean up their joint. The excuses are exhausting.

I'm just glad to hear they are still going to be there making those sour cream donuts. Best donuts in the city, for sure. It's on my checklist for places I definitely hit up when I'm in Oklahoma.

22. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

The Midtown Business Alliance met at the Engel & Volkers Real Estate office for Brown's Bakery this last week for some reason. It didn't really say what the meeting was about, but I am guessing they are trying to take a hands-on approach to help them with the business.

23. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

I hope something happens to save/improve Brown's. I was a long time member and officer of the Oklahoma Bicycle Society and Brown's is a long time Saturday Morning Donut Ride stop. It's a beloved icon to the OBS.

In the interest of variety I will whip out the Detroit Lions analogy-starting in the 1990s the NFL began to experience a change in team ownership and the financial commitment of these new owners. It happened that every few years at league meetings a new owner would complain that the Detroit Lions were a relatively weak team in the national ratings and they should not be given that annual Thanksgiving game. Nobody complained about the Cowboys. At that point Lions owner William Clay Ford would stand up and provide the backstory that the Thanksgiving game was a loser for the hosting team for decades, and the Lions ( later joined by the expansion Cowboys) were the only team willing to sacrifice for the good of the league, and they expected to be rewarded for that sacrifice today. So, regardless of how bad the Lions are, how poor the lighting looks, how lifeless the crowd is and how mediocre the opponent is, the Lions host a Thanksgiving game.
    Browns Bakery stayed in Midtown when it was dried up and St. Anthony Hospital was threatening to move without City investment. They might be a poorly capitalized, financially unsophisticated, blue collar business, but they provide a good enough product for a customer base that keeps them afloat.
    And they don’t have a reputation of having shootings and crime at 2 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Good lord it's past time for these folks to read the room and clean up their joint. The excuses are exhausting.
    Drove by on Monday and thought the exact same thing. It looks like a closed business. Seems like they are more concerned with having someone pay for their parking rather than actually putting money into the business.

Thread Information