Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: OU Projects

Default Re: OU Projects

From what I've been hearing, the Bud Wilkinson complex of buildings on the NE side of Lindsey/Jenkins will be coming down soon for another project. I'm sure this has already been discussed though on previous pages of this thread.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    From what I've been hearing, the Bud Wilkinson complex of buildings on the NE side of Lindsey/Jenkins will be coming down soon for another project. I'm sure this has already been discussed though on previous pages of this thread.
    Yes, I think they're putting in an academic center and alumni club of sorts for former athletes.

This may have already been discussed, but are there plans to remodel/update Loyd Noble. I know they are adding on to the South, but the center looks out dated. Would love to see it bricked to match all the other new construction.

4. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    This may have already been discussed, but are there plans to remodel/update Loyd Noble. I know they are adding on to the South, but the center looks out dated. Would love to see it bricked to match all the other new construction.
    Only the Blake Griffin addon is planned now.

I know this is much too late now given all of the recent dollars poured into the LNC, but I would have loved to see McCasland Fieldhouse be renovated and expanded to be the main basketball facility for OU, similar to Gallagher-Iba....build a new "shell" around the existing structure that looks similar.

Just my two-cents :-)

6. Default Re: OU Projects

I know this is much too late now given all of the recent dollars poured into the LNC, but I would have loved to see McCasland Fieldhouse be renovated and expanded to be the main basketball facility for OU, similar to Gallagher-Iba....build a new "shell" around the existing structure that looks similar.

Just my two-cents :-)
    In the summer of 2012, the OU Athletics Department completed a major renovation of the Field House. The list of improvements included refurbished exterior brick, new windows and entry doors, a complete roof replacement and a remodel of the volleyball offices, locker and team rooms, renovation of main lobby, restrooms and concessions.

HangryHippo Guest

I would love to see basketball back on campus, but it ain't happening. Joe C is very pleased with LNC.

I'm aware of the recent renovations to the Field House. I just meant that it would have been cool if they were able to expand the seating capacity of the Field House in order to be able to accommodate the basketball programs.

HangryHippo Guest

I'm aware of the recent renovations to the Field House. I just meant that it would have been cool if they were able to expand the seating capacity of the Field House in order to be able to accommodate the basketball programs.
    Based on the actual attendance, there wouldn't be THAT much expansion required. There just aren't that many fans attending the games regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Based on the actual attendance, there wouldn't be THAT much expansion required. There just aren't that many fans attending the games regularly.
    I think the field house holds under 5,000 and even with the poor attendance at OU games an arena would need to be at least 7,000-8,000. When OU men and women are doing well, they do draw those numbers consistently. I don't think expanding McCasland would make much sense. It's cool as a historic building for volleyball, wrestling, etc., but just isn't suited for modern basketball requirements. I would love to have seen Lloyd Noble torn down and a new stadium built on campus, but they've invested too much around it, unfortunately. A re-cladding of the building would be nice.

LNC will be the basketball arena for the foreseeable future but I do think eventually they will need to build a new arena and when that happens it will be built somewhere on the east side of campus near the other athletic facilities. The new trend with arenas is to make them more mixed-use so they're not empty buildings when there isn't an event. Look at Milwaukee's new arena as a great example.

The LNC is just too big and not very intimate. 5K people in an 11K arena looks bad. 5K in an 8K arena looks a whole lot better, especially on TV.

What happened to the plan to completely re-work the seating at LNC?

I remember a few years back there were renderings that showed a more squared-off configuration that brought the seats closer to the floor.

It would also make sense to turn some of the upper seating into suite areas for small groups (like the sponsored ones at the Peake). That could reduce the seating and raise some extra revenue.

Also, has OU considered selling beer at sporting events? A lot of universities are bringing it back now.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    It would also make sense to turn some of the upper seating into suite areas for small groups (like the sponsored ones at the Peake). That could reduce the seating and raise some extra revenue.

Also, has OU considered selling beer at sporting events? A lot of universities are bringing it back now.
    Based strictly on personal opinion....I don't know if beer will be back in the main areas as long as Boren is President. Whether that is good or bad.....no opinion. You can get it on the club level though if you have access.

16. Default Re: OU Projects

I hear Boren is about to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    It'll be really interesting to see who OU who go with as their next president.

18. Default Re: OU Projects

How about Joe Castiglione?

19. Default Re: OU Projects

The old law school dean or Robert Henry. Kyle Harper is too young still I think.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I've heard that rumor too, literally for the past 10 years. I suppose it's bound to be true at some point.

21. Default Re: OU Projects

Tom Cole or Frank Keating

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Tom Cole or Frank Keating
    Sure hope not. We can do much better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    The old law school dean or Robert Henry. Kyle Harper is too young still I think.
    Won't be Robert Henry.

HangryHippo Guest

There's some scuttlebutt that it could be Joe Castiglione. Probably tough for the academics to swallow, but he'd be an excellent fundraiser.

I've heard rumblings of the current president of Southeastern Oklahoma State University taking the job.

Thread Information