Widgets Magazine
Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: OU Projects

Default Re: OU Projects

2. Default Re: OU Projects

very nice. I love your drone shots of OU projects.

Here are a few I took earlier this week.

Note in the 3rd one that someone has finally figured out the area north of Campus Corner is perfect for in-fill housing, with a whole score of small scale projects.

Great shots, love seeing that new infill between Campus Corner and downtown. Lots of room for even more density west of Asp.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Note in the 3rd one that someone has finally figured out the area north of Campus Corner is perfect for in-fill housing, with a whole score of small scale projects.

Yeah I had always wondered why it was taking so long to happen. Even ten years ago it seemed like a no brainer.

I am never in Norman. My (small) social circle just isn't in that part of town, but went to a show the other night at Opolis. I think Norman is OKC's biggest secret. The vibe I got was very cool. I am glad to see OU continue to expand, and Norman will follow along.

7. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Ended up walked this neighborhood this weekend and took these ground shots. the new development is really striking.

high 1.jpg

I thought this view was really interesting. You can see on the left on of the original houses. in the middle is a rebuilt house only bigger. all the way on the right is the new three story construction. It really gives an odd feel to the neighborhood.

high 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cross Village:

I like the newer buildings along Lindsey better than Cross Village but overall it's a nice project, and 10x better than what was there before. Now OU just needs to overhaul the Huffman Center in between all of these nice new residential villages.

Cross Village:

11. Default Re: OU Projects

What's the driving force behind all of these projects? Is it to accomodate increasing numbers of students or is there more to it than that? I'm not talking about the athletic dorms, that's pretty self-explanatory, but all of the other buildings.

Blog Entries

There aren’t true athletic dorms any more...has to be more than 50% regular students.

The academic colleges/dorms just built on Lindsey are different concepts integrating academic and living more closely. And the new Cross replaces the old Cross, doesn’t it. OU definitely needed better on campus options...the old dorms not consistent with new student expectations.

I'll just say that the new dorms -- from the "athletic dorms" to the academic dorms to the new Cross students dorms -- are all really beautiful and should improve the campus experience for students. Almost everything OU has built recently has been well designed and executed. The new construction represents a short and long term investment in the quality of experience for the OU community. I can't speak to any financial issues, but under Boren's presidency OU transformed into one of the more beautiful campuses in the country... And I visit a ton of college campuses.

14. Default Re: OU Projects

prior to the construction of the new dorms, I don't think any general student population dorms had been built for a good 50 years. The Huffman Center is coming on 40 years before long. Many schools go beyond traditional dorms, as many kf us know them and build small apartments. A&M has a luxury apartment project going up o. a prime spot on the main campus.

I was recently at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis and they were putting up high-rise luxury student apartments next to campus. I am sure there are some contexts where space is at a premium and high rise student apartments might make some sense, but it would rub me the wrong way if freshmen students were able to choose a high rise at a higher price because it would segregate students at a public university based on income. There's something really cool about everyone living in the dorms, eating in the same areas, etc. But as long as student live together their freshman year then I am not worried about what happens after that and maybe that's who would be targeted by "luxury" dorms.

16. Default Re: OU Projects

Well if its not the university doing in, im not sure how you could stop that from happening anywhere. Private developers could come in and do that here. I would argue that it has been done several times near the Norman campus already, just on a smaller scale.

I wish my room in Walker Tower (now ten years ago ) was as nice as I am sure these new buildings are!

Blog Entries

I moved into Walker in early 70s. It was new but always basic compared to new student living. Kids now want the amenities they grew up with. No way would they live in some of the dorms we had, like the old navy barracks where Huffman is now.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Well if its not the university doing in, im not sure how you could stop that from happening anywhere. Private developers could come in and do that here. I would argue that it has been done several times near the Norman campus already, just on a smaller scale.
    Oh, of course. Private developers can build whatever they want. I think in some cases, universities have either built or partnered in building them, which is what I have some concerns about.

Cross Village may be nice but they arent very good at getting the beds filled. It was in the paper a few weeks back that they are only like 1/3 full for this fall semester.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Cross Village may be nice but they arent very good at getting the beds filled. It was in the paper a few weeks back that they are only like 1/3 full for this fall semester.
    Don't worry, in a year or two there will be a waiting list.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    This was the same lament expressed before opening the University Colleges and by the 2nd semester they were open they were completely full.

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    I wish my room in Walker Tower (now ten years ago ) was as nice as I am sure these new buildings are!
    I lived in Walker 10 years ago too! One of the last non renovated floors of all the dorm towers.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    I lived in Walker 10 years ago too! One of the last non renovated floors of all the dorm towers.
    I was on the renovated side :-)

25. Default Re: OU Projects

Those dorms may look nice, but aren’t doing that great renting them out for the year. Yikes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...-troubled-dorm

Thread Information