Widgets Magazine
Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: OU Projects

Default Re: OU Projects

I bet they end up replacing the Cate Center complex along Lindsay with more residential colleges, as Boren is a big believer in that type of facility.

Also, the Jenkins Ave Parking Facility (just south of residential colleges and east of the Huff) is now open.

Quote Originally Posted by riflesforwatie View Post
    Also, the Jenkins Ave Parking Facility (just south of residential colleges and east of the Huff) is now open.
    Yes that opened at the beginning of this semester back in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I bet they end up replacing the Cate Center complex along Lindsay with more residential colleges, as Boren is a big believer in that type of facility.
    They've been doing a lot of renovations to those though; replacing windows and updating the interiors lately.

Quote Originally Posted by gman11695 View Post
    They've been doing a lot of renovations to those though; replacing windows and updating the interiors lately.
    Right and have made more improvements relatively recently.

Would have to be a longer term plan.

6. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by gman11695 View Post
    They currently house quite a bit of classes and offices. Since the Gittinger tear down english department has been using it.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    They current house quite a bit of classes and offices. Since Gittinger tear down english department has been using it.
    Right, even Air Force ROTC has moved in there since tearing down their old building.

"OU is committed to building living-learning communities to provide needed student housing, especially for upper classmen. Each residential unit will include student lounge areas, a dining hall and dedicated study spaces."

This sounds more like the residential colleges than the apartments further south.

HangryHippo Guest

"OU is committed to building living-learning communities to provide needed student housing, especially for upper classmen. Each residential unit will include student lounge areas, a dining hall and dedicated study spaces."

This sounds more like the residential colleges than the apartments further south.
    It does. I've yet to see any plans for this complex, but when I scoped out that company's website, it looked like their projects were very much like the Traditions apartments OU built.

I think it's PR-speak... the dining hall is a little different than Traditions but dedicated study spaces and student lounge areas are standard at modern university-built apartment complexes and private complexes alike. And even then the dining halls could be required since this complex will expand the on-campus student population enough to stress the facilities in the towers and at the Union and such. But I admit I am mostly speculating on that.

I really think this could be more along the residential colleges line because Boren has said those types of facilities are key in keepint upper class students on campus and directly involved with the school, which in turn increases in graduation rates, which then helps all the various ratings metrics.

The description is very similar to how the under construction residential colleges and does not sound like the outside contracted apartments such as Traditions.

I really hope it's residential colleges because I think they are much better for the campus atmosphere and will continue to distinguish OU as one of the few public universities that have similar facilities.

As an editorial note, I've always though keeping students on campus is vital to the health of a university.

For the life of me, I cannot understand people who choose to live in some crappy off-campus apartment as soon as their freshmen year is over (believe the university still requires freshmen to live on campus).

I was in a fraternity and lived in the house for 3 years after I left the dorms and it was awesome. Easy walking distance to all classes, activities and even Campus Corner. Mock the Greek system all you want but it keeps upper classmen close to campus and many are actively involved with the school outside of class. I know I sure was.

The Greek system brings it's own problems and I'm sure Boren is thinking these residential colleges will bring the same sort of options, just without the fraternity / sorority baggage.

And BTW, sororities and most fraternities have become so big at OU that after the sophomore year in the house, many of them are now living off campus as well, which I think totally sucks.

I tell every college kid I know: You have your whole life to live in a lousy apartment and having to drive everywhere in your car. You are only in college once and you should soak up as much of the university life as possible.

14. Default Re: OU Projects

As an editorial note, I've always though keeping students on campus is vital to the health of a university.

For the life of me, I cannot understand people who choose to live in some crappy off-campus apartment as soon as their freshmen year is over (believe the university still requires freshmen to live on campus).

I was in a fraternity and lived in the house for 3 years after I left the dorms and it was awesome. Easy walking distance to all classes, activities and even Campus Corner. Mock the Greek system all you want but it keeps upper classmen close to campus and many are actively involved with the school outside of class. I know I sure was.

The Greek system brings it's own problems and I'm sure Boren is thinking these residential colleges will bring the same sort of options, just without the fraternity / sorority baggage.

And BTW, sororities and most fraternities have become so big at OU that after the sophomore year in the house, many of them are now living off campus as well, which I think totally sucks.

I tell every college kid I know: You have your whole life to live in a lousy apartment and having to drive everywhere in your car. You are only in college once and you should soak up as much of the university life as possible.
    I think it is the cost. The off campus places are noticeably cheaper with no dining plan and all that. I would also think the dry campus thing has some weight to it. Also before the new living area the towers were the only places that people could live. No one wants to live in tiny room shared with a roommate and share a bathroom with four people. As OU upgrades their living situations more people will live on campus for sure.

Most apartments offer free shuttles so people don't have to park. Those are pretty packed daily.

^

All true but there are lots more good options on campus these days (Headington Hall, Traditions, and soon the residential colleges) and then there are people in Greek houses that move out ASAP as well.

I understand it's usually more space in an apartment but when you factor in the meal plans it's not any cheaper, or not by much.

And the whole point of college is not to be sitting in your room or apartment but to be on campus and doing things. Fraternity houses are generally about the same as dorms yet it never bothered me because I only slept in my room and was otherwise on campus, or playing intermurals or having fun on Campus Corner.

The people I know who live off campus typically go to class then go 'home'. What a waste of a college experience.

^

All true but there are lots more good options on campus these days (Headington Hall, Traditions, and soon the residential colleges) and then there are people in Greek houses that move out ASAP as well.

I understand it's usually more space in an apartment but when you factor in the meal plans it's not any cheaper, or not by much.

And the whole point of college is not to be sitting in your room or apartment but to be on campus and doing things. Fraternity houses are generally about the same as dorms yet it never bothered me because I only slept in my room and was otherwise on campus, or playing intermurals or having fun on Campus Corner.

The people I know who live off campus typically go to class then go 'home'. What a waste of a college experience.
    I agree completely, but sadly the perception is there that living on campus as an upperclassman just isn't something you typically do. I would also say that the Traditions complexes have not aged well at all (we house a lot of our foreign students/visitors there and while the complexes are better than Kraettli, that's not saying much...). I hope that the residential colleges are better maintained and work towards changing these perceptions!

At Thursday's meeting of the regents, they'll vote to approve a new $43 MM academic building for the college of engineering.

Can't find any renderings but it will be built near the other engineering facilities.

By way of comparison, the Devon engineering building was $30 MM.

"In addition to serving the full College of Engineering community, the new academic building to be constructed will house the new School of Biomedical Engineering, which will integrate engineering and medicine and will further develop three areas of existing strength in the College of Engineering: biomedical imaging, nanomedicine and neuroengineering."

18. Default Re: OU Projects

It will be where the old ROTC building used to be East of Felgar.

HangryHippo Guest

Here are some renderings:
    BioMed.jpgBioMed2.jpgLayout.jpgLecture.jpg

HangryHippo Guest

And here are the floorplans:
    Floorplan.jpgFloorplan2.jpgFloorplan3.jpg

Thanks Nick.

That has turned into quite the engineering complex.

And the addition of biomedical engineering means good things for biotech in the area.

HangryHippo Guest

Thanks Nick.

That has turned into quite the engineering complex.

And the addition of biomedical engineering means good things for biotech in the area.
    It really has. And hopefully they can really turn it into something great and start spinning off some companies to help Norman's economy.

I like the look of the new engineering building and how it fits into the engineering quad.

A big void at OU is an on-campus hotel and conference center.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I like the look of the new engineering building and how it fits into the engineering quad.

A big void at OU is an on-campus hotel and conference center.
    They should use that old continuing education complex just south of the dorms.

Drove by there on Sunday and that is a very poor (and somewhat ugly) use of that property.

HangryHippo Guest

They should use that old continuing education complex just south of the dorms.
    That whole area is quite ugly and could (should?) be easily razed and converted to an on-campus hotel. I also would like to see OU extend the campus to the east more.

Thread Information