Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fairgounds Grandstand (demolished)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fairgounds Grandstand

What "unique" attractions are gone, then? Seems to me they have just added more and more to the value of the fairgrounds. I know it is unfashionable to think that anything can actually progress and get better and to think maybe a public project is actually improving something, but I fail to remember anything there being socially or historically significant being eliminated. The fairgrounds seems cleaner, busier and bigger than ever.

2. Default Re: Fairgounds Grandstand

I agree. I'm fairly young and I don't know what the fair was really like with all of these "now-lost amenities", although I do remember riding the monorail once when I was a kid before it was torn down. I could live without ever riding that hot and and outdated machine again, but I feel there should be a replacement of some sort.

The fairgrounds are getting better every year if you are in the horse business. The same can't be said for the fair portion of the fairgrounds.........imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    How is the state fair and fairgrounds leadership chosen?
    Couldn't find anything definitive on it but think many are appointed, some are there automatically because of there elected position (i.e., Governor). The Board of Directors apparently votes on other members of the Board etc. Discovered a common thread with the State Fair...Clay Bennett, "chairman of the Oklahoma State Fair board of directors" has been in that position for at least the past 10 years.

I agree with a previous post that the Great State Fair of Oklahoma started to go downhill when Skip Wagner was General Manager (2000-03) and he began his reign of destruction. Had hoped things would turn around when they replaced him with Tim O'Toole (2003-current) but it has been more of the same. Some areas have been improved as you mentioned and attendance is up (but only after going downhill). They shortened the Fair from 3 weekends down to 2, astronomically raised the vendor fees (where non-profits and the like that had been at the Fair for decades could no longer afford it). Articles in the Oklahoman stated average daily attendance went up, but not enough to make up for the shortened run (and a full weekend). Many vendors were upset at it and said they wouldn't be back. They cut back on the number of vendors and games etc. Yes there was duplication, but that meant shorter lines etc.

Yes, the improvements did make us more competitive for the horse shows. I believe that was part of maps also, btw, so they did tell us what was going on and we approved, I believe.
    Yes, we were told improvements would be made to horse facilities and the like (and no criticism of the horse industry related improvements), but were voters aware that the items already mentioned would be removed? Did the voters approve the removal? Were voters told during MAPS 3 that if passed it would mean the demise of the Grandstand? The campaign info was largely silent. Obviously the "massive" new building would have to go someplace, but they seemed to indicate that the new building would be replacing the smaller, unconnected exhibit buildings. Then suddenly after MAPS 3 passes, the announcement is made for the Speedway's demise.

Curious, what exhibits have been removed from the OKC fairground in the last few years?
    Go back and read the thread, other people have already provided some of the things.

5. Default Re: Fairgounds Grandstand

Some of the exhibits was those that was doing old-time style of displaying humans, such as the dwarf woman and half woman/half snake, etc. I remember when I saw the booth for the dwarf woman, I misunderstood when I actually thought 2" real woman, so out of curiosity, I paid to enter only to discover the 2' woman sitting there waving.

They have also reduced the amount of rides....which is really stupid.

I have to agree on the rides they are lousy and overpriced. The wristband days make it reasonable if you like taking your family to hang out with the unemployed taxpayer supported thugs from across the metro. I am to the point to where I am just going stop going to the OK State Fair and go to the fair in Tulsa or better yet wait until October for the Texas State Fair.

The grandstand was rickety--but--aren't they all at Fairgrounds? It wouldn't be the same experience if there was not some danger of collapse. I miss the freak shows more than anything...and watching alcoholic carneys get into fist-fights of some duration while you were being spun to death on an aging and battered-up Tilt-A-Whirl. And Club Lido--fat ladies with body acne sweating it up on a hot day. I am glad I was able to see the Boop-Tee Woman, Lobster Boy and Baby Flo--who drank a huge bottle of water. The Sword Swallowers were pretty amazing as well. Went a few years ago to the Fair...all paved now--no dirt around...everything to eat/drink was $5...a cleansed, prefunctory dry experience with better rides...no shows to speak of. Sure glad the politically correct saw fit to doom all "freaks" to no source of income but welfare for all eternity. Even Lobster Boy got murdered by his wife--but--he was a bad abuser, so I guess he deserved it. Times change, but, what a trip it used to be to go to the State Fair in the 1950's and 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    I agree. I'm fairly young and I don't know what the fair was really like with all of these "now-lost amenities", although I do remember riding the monorail once when I was a kid before it was torn down. I could live without ever riding that hot and and outdated machine again, but I feel there should be a replacement of some sort.
    That God-forsaken monorail was as hot at the gates of hell inside! I think after Disneyland put one up...some traveling salesman hit State Fairs around the nation selling these ersatz contraptions all over the nation. They rode like Conestoga Wagons...and were the kiss of death for anyone with claustrophobia. I say--put big jet airplanes everywhere on Fairgrounds...it is what little boys dream of...and let kids crawl on them--they used to be in parks everywhere--before the lawyers eliminated them by liability lawsuits along with every diving tower/board in the nation. I still remember the unusual and highly seductive smell of an out-of-service jet in a park--just there for a kid to crawl on and sit in the cockpit. I shot down many a MIG from the cockpit of the Navy F-9 Panther in Lions Park in Norman.

We didn't have TV until 1956 and our phone arrived a decade later. So what I knew of the world back then was what I was able to read and understand from the newspaper that the mailman delivered and the books I could get from the Bookmobile that came once a month. Otherwise I learned of the world from eavesdropping on adult conversations, school, and radio. That left rather large areas of knowledge to be completed by imagination.

So the fair was a glimpse of a larger world full of exotic places and animals and a keyhole to a world of people so many times more numerous than our little farm communities.

But now we all have seen the world and much of what it has to offer because we have satellite and cable and 50" screens and can experience the world in rather marvelous ways from our own living rooms. And we know about freaks and the difference between centripetal and centrifugal and just about anything else anyone has ever thought about. And we all moved to towns which made them a lot bigger even here in our little state.

Then our marvelous cars and highways lets us drive a few minutes and see the latest from John Deere or Ford or GM anytime we feel the urge so there's not so much new to see at the fair.

But jmarkross I love how you recall the feel and smells and textures of the fair from those days and the sense of wonder we were still able to experience then. Pretty heady stuff for a little barefoot Oklahoma farm boy.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    We didn't have TV until 1956 and our phone arrived a decade later. So what I knew of the world back then was what I was able to read and understand from the newspaper that the mailman delivered and the books I could get from the Bookmobile that came once a month. Otherwise I learned of the world from eavesdropping on adult conversations, school, and radio. That left rather large areas of knowledge to be completed by imagination.

So the fair was a glimpse of a larger world full of exotic places and animals and a keyhole to a world of people so many times more numerous than our little farm communities.

But now we all have seen the world and much of what it has to offer because we have satellite and cable and 50" screens and can experience the world in rather marvelous ways from our own living rooms. And we know about freaks and the difference between centripetal and centrifugal and just about anything else anyone has ever thought about. And we all moved to towns which made them a lot bigger even here in our little state.

Then our marvelous cars and highways lets us drive a few minutes and see the latest from John Deere or Ford or GM anytime we feel the urge so there's not so much new to see at the fair.

But jmarkross I love how you recall the feel and smells and textures of the fair from those days and the sense of wonder we were still able to experience then. Pretty heady stuff for a little barefoot Oklahoma farm boy.
    It was a great meeting place...I was somewhat of a city person from Norman (27,000 in those days) but I enjoyed meeting all the rural folks who you just never got to see otherwise. It was tremendous melting pot of local cultures...I actually got to meet guys who raised animals and find out what they did and what it was all about. It was a different era...but I am glad I was around to see it. Barefoot is a lost thing as well...I went barefoot from the last day of school in the Spring to the first day in the Fall every year--in two weeks my feet could withstand most pointy things--except goat-heads, and one learned quickly to remember *exactly* where they grew. Children now are raised in sanitary vacuums...I never knew anyone who was allergic to anything--like today--and I worry how they will ever be able to compete with kids from around the world who have much tougher feet. After a day at the old State Fair...your sox would be drenched in dust and dirt from the Midway--and the toes of your shoes would have mustard from hot dogs...

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    More horse barns = Big league City?

At some point they need to define the ultimate purpose of the State Fair Park and rename it to reflect that purpose.

Maybe the "Business Expo and Convention Park: Featuring Horses"
    Oklahoma City Equestrian, Exhibition, and Entertainment Complex or just '3EC' for short. The facility shouldn't be name after an event that only takes place 10 days a year (i.e State Fair Park).

Blog Entries

Guess I just don't understand the jealousy over the horse industry which nets the most for this city of anything done at the fairgrounds.

You all can't be serious about bringing back the "freak" shows where subjects were usually taken advantaged of and treated as quasi slaves since they couldn't find other work, often because of the biases of society. There is a difference between frivolous political correctness and just plain correctness. Thank God we have progressed (somewhat).

BTW, previous poster is correct...YouTube has replaced the freak shows. Wii replaces carney games that rip you off over and over. And a bajillion fast food places replace the junk food. Today is very different than 50 years ago and the "good old days" weren't always so good.

Also note that the OKC State Fair is one of the best attended in the country. I went and looked up attendance numbers and OKC does well compared to most states...especially considering there is another "state fair" in Tulsa (which draws 25% less than OKC)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Oklahoma City Equestrian, Exhibition, and Entertainment Complex or just '3EC' for short. The facility shouldn't be name after an event that only takes place 10 days a year (i.e State Fair Park).
    Sounds good, I like it.

Guess I just don't understand the jealousy over the horse industry which nets the most for this city of anything done at the fairgrounds.

You all can't be serious about bringing back the "freak" shows where subjects were usually taken advantaged of and treated as quasi slaves since they couldn't find other work, often because of the biases of society. There is a difference between frivolous political correctness and just plain correctness. Thank God we have progressed (somewhat).

BTW, previous poster is correct...YouTube has replaced the freak shows. Wii replaces carney games that rip you off over and over. And a bajillion fast food places replace the junk food. Today is very different than 50 years ago and the "good old days" weren't always so good.

Also note that the OKC State Fair is one of the best attended in the country. I went and looked up attendance numbers and OKC does well compared to most states...especially considering there is another "state fair" in Tulsa (which draws 25% less than OKC)
    One could argue this forever--I suppose--but numerous documentaries done by these folks have shown them discussing how they did not hate the lifestyle...and made a decent living. They viewed it as a job and still live communally in Florida. Their big complaint was these do-gooders came in, threw them out of a job and dropped them off at the welfare office for life. Typical left wing crap where THEY know what is best for you--don't bother to ask...just rely on dimmycrats to decide how everyone ought to live. Not unlike freeing the mentally ill from the heartless incarceration in institutions and introducing them to the joys and pride of living under a freeway in a cardboard box in a big city...where they are raped murdered every day. To help them...you see...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    One could argue this forever--I suppose--but numerous documentaries done by these folks have shown them discussing how they did not hate the lifestyle...and made a decent living. They viewed it as a job and still live communally in Florida. Their big complaint was these do-gooders came in, threw them out of a job and dropped them off at the welfare office for life. Typical left wing crap where THEY know what is best for you--don't bother to ask...just rely on dimmycrats to decide how everyone ought to live. Not unlike freeing the mentally ill from the heartless incarceration in institutions and introducing them to the joys and pride of living under a freeway in a cardboard box in a big city...where they are raped murdered every day. To help them...you see...
    Tell me this is tongue in cheek. Great satire! Thanks for giving us a laugh on an otherwise quiet night.

Rover:

I don't think anyone is "jealous" of the horse industry. The improvements to keep and attract the money making events seem to have been worth it from that point of view. No disagreement there at all. That said, it seems to have been at the "expense" of the rest of the Fairgrounds (especially the State Fair of Oklahoma and the Speedway). It is good to hear that attendance is fairing well (sorry, couldn't resist) compared to other states. But if not mistaken, attendance for the entire industry is generally down. Think I read a while back that some State Fairs are getting canceled completely. Ultimately, I think that is the goal of Mr. Bennett. Drive the State Fair out of business and let the State Fair Park be used exclusively for the horse, gun, antique and "Affair of the Heart" type events (nothing against any of those events). Again, average daily attendance may be up and it may even be trending higher over the past couple of years, but that was after thy shortened the Fair and the added daily attendance didn't make up for the business lost when they cut out a week/weekend. Similar to sales tax collections being up over projections and previous year. While great news and we hope it continues, we still have a big hole to fill in to get back to where we were.

On a side note, this is the STATE Fair of OKLAHOMA, how much money does the State contribute? Why is the City putting up the money (some improvement money is coming from out of staters thru the Hotel/Motel tax). If the horse industry is the economic engine (profit making) venture that everyone seems to be in agreement that it is, why is it getting taxpayer paid for facilities. Why aren't they paying for it themselves out of the profits?

I suppose the same could be said for the Convention Center. If it is going to bring in the jobs and all the economic benefits that the Chamber claims, why doesn't the Chamber just take up a collection from it's members and fund/build the thing them selves?

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    It was a great meeting place...I was somewhat of a city person from Norman (27,000 in those days) but I enjoyed meeting all the rural folks who you just never got to see otherwise.
    I'm not trying to change the subject but I didn't realize you were a Norman boy. I was a farm boy who lived outside of Norman and went to school there in the 50's and 60's. Maybe I'm one of the rural folk you're talking about. LOL
    Did you ever go to the Cleveland County Fair? I exhibited there a few times in my youth even if there wasn't much to it.

Tell me this is tongue in cheek. Great satire! Thanks for giving us a laugh on an otherwise quiet night.
    Just reporting what others have seen...now--go fetch--Rover! Nancy and Barack will be tossing the ball on the WH lawn among the victory gardens the minions are attending...

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm not trying to change the subject but I didn't realize you were a Norman boy. I was a farm boy who lived outside of Norman and went to school there in the 50's and 60's. Maybe I'm one of the rural folk you're talking about. LOL
    Did you ever go to the Cleveland County Fair? I exhibited there a few times in my youth even if there wasn't much to it.
    I lived near the fairgrounds--went all the time. I was in the 4-H club at Wilson elementary in the 1950's-60's...closest I came to farming--but--I did knew a few dairy people and some who had connections with places outside the city limits.

The sad reality is that for many places fairs no longer serve a purpose. I grew up in Northern California and we had the Silver Dollar Fair. As a kid it was great. The midway was a big hit because it was the only place that had rides. I even enjoyed the exhibits to see the latest cookware and get a free sample of food. We only ate out about 1 or 2 times per month and we dressed up for that so getting a sample of some kind of chicken at the fair while wearing shorts was a big treat. Times were simpler then. Those days are gone.

If we want to ride something we go to Orlando and Valdosta, GA. People in OKC go to Frontier City or Six Flags in Dallas. It is cheaper, safer, and the rides are better. We now eat out 5 days a week and no one cares what you wear other than you have to have shoes and shirt (unless it is the drive thru). Everything that is for sale in the exhibit halls can be bought at Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Costco, the Internet, or on late-night infomercials. Some people call it progress, but I don't know if it is better. Given the choice between the world I grew up in and the one my children are growing up in I would pick mine.

Blog Entries

Fairs will have to go the way of the Circus...they will need to be reinvented to survive in today's environment. Fairs were exotic places where the unusual and rare could be seen and experienced once a year when the public had no other ways to partake. Now, what is at the fair is the usual, not the unusual. And, as we have shifted from the agrarian economy the livestock shows are less important. The way Cirque de Soleil reinvented circus as entertainment, someone will reinvent fairs and they will grow. Otherwise they will continue to be a monument to an outdated time.

We should take a poll to see what age groups want the fair to stay as it was 5-10 years agoi and which age groups are happy to see the change. I bet (after reading this forum) that the vast majority of our older readers are very upset about the changes and the younger contributors on this site want it to change.

Why is that? Probably because when our older reader went to the State Fair growing up everything was new and exciting. The State Fair and all its glamor had an appeal that kids would dream about...that dream is no longer happening with today's generations. The buildings/structures are decades old, rusty and ugly. The fair (as it has been for the last 15 years) hasn't offered the entertainment to today's generation as it did in the 60's.

I see nothing wrong with the change the Fair has undergone and hope they continue to revamp it until it becomes a destination again, as it was in the 60's. My generation didn't get to experience the Fair like our older generations and that is why I welcome the change. I don't want the next generation to have to go through the same Fair I went to. So, for all the older contributors on here, try to see it from a younger generation's point of view. I see it from your point of view and I can see the nostalgia and understand not wanting to see old structures of your childhood being knocked down for something new to be built...but why can't the future generations of OKC have it's own nostalgia in the decades to come?

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyCornett View Post
    We should take a poll to see what age groups want the fair to stay as it was 5-10 years agoi and which age groups are happy to see the change. I bet (after reading this forum) that the vast majority of our older readers are very upset about the changes and the younger contributors on this site want it to change.

Why is that? Probably because when our older reader went to the State Fair growing up everything was new and exciting. The State Fair and all its glamor had an appeal that kids would dream about...that dream is no longer happening with today's generations. The buildings/structures are decades old, rusty and ugly. The fair (as it has been for the last 15 years) hasn't offered the entertainment to today's generation as it did in the 60's.

I see nothing wrong with the change the Fair has undergone and hope they continue to revamp it until it becomes a destination again, as it was in the 60's. My generation didn't get to experience the Fair like our older generations and that is why I welcome the change. I don't want the next generation to have to go through the same Fair I went to. So, for all the older contributors on here, try to see it from a younger generation's point of view. I see it from your point of view and I can see the nostalgia and understand not wanting to see old structures of your childhood being knocked down for something new to be built...but why can't the future generations of OKC have it's own nostalgia in the decades to come?
    Everyone wants to re-capture all of the happy times they have had in life...and it is only natural to think that if you can re-create all the same surroundings--youth will return. Well--it won't. It is an important concept to realize. My view is to "share" past memories for others to read--enjoy--dislike--or whatever. Matters not to me. Having been born sometime during the Pleistocene...I am of the opinion that the world of today belongs to those who are affected by and participate in it. I had my time in this life...I, too, have been young, vigorous and healthy--even good (hot?) looking before--just like all the younger folks here who are so *excited* by it. Been there--done that. It does not really last very long...enjoy things along the way...smell a few roses...make a few people smile...

Fairs will have to go the way of the Circus...they will need to be reinvented to survive in today's environment. Fairs were exotic places where the unusual and rare could be seen and experienced once a year when the public had no other ways to partake. Now, what is at the fair is the usual, not the unusual. And, as we have shifted from the agrarian economy the livestock shows are less important. The way Cirque de Soleil reinvented circus as entertainment, someone will reinvent fairs and they will grow. Otherwise they will continue to be a monument to an outdated time.
    So this must be the new sideshow material

I saw many of these in grade school! Thought they were pretty bogus--even in the 1950's! Broadcast TV was just the same...Father Knows Best...but--they did portray the ideal of a good many people. They were made to make a profit--no one took them seriously.

Thread Information