Widgets Magazine

Thread: Morning Walk in the Park

Default Morning Walk in the Park

Went to Centennial Park slightly before sun up Fri morning and a not so small coyote crossed the path 30 yards in front of me. I hit him with a beam from my flashlight and that got him going.
    But...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI sometimes they hang around. I'm now in the market for some pepper spray.
    (video has language)

Default Re: Morning Walk in the Park

Poor dog just wanted to play...lol

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    Went to Centennial Park slightly before sun up Fri morning and a not so small coyote crossed the path 30 yards in front of me. I hit him with a beam from my flashlight and that got him going.
    But...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI sometimes they hang around. I'm now in the market for some pepper spray.
    (video has language)
    You'll never get a chance to use the pepper spray. A coyote wants nothing to do with you.

4. Default Re: Morning Walk in the Park

In the video, there is lots of snow. Last I checked....it did not snow yesterday...anywhere in this state.

Think you need to reread my post Thunder. Was there a statement by me that the video had anything more to do with my experience in the park than as an example of what 'could' have happened there?

6. Default Re: Morning Walk in the Park

If one approaches you, but don't seem aggressive, just be friendly. If you can, pet him/her and if you have a treat/snack, give it. An act of kindness will imprint in them and they will spread the word not to be afraid of humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    If one approaches you, but don't seem aggressive, just be friendly. If you can, pet him/her and if you have a treat/snack, give it. An act of kindness will imprint in them and they will spread the word not to be afraid of humans.
    With respect, your advice is the sort of advice which regrettably brings about the demise of many wild critters. They don't associate your act to kindness. They associate you to the treats.

Many a previously normal wilderness critter has been put down due to the 'kindness' of humans.

Please, to truly be kind to wild critters, leave them alone to remain the wild critters that they are.

I don't get it. These threads are supposed to be about OKC and the surrounding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    I don't get it. These threads are supposed to be about OKC and the surrounding areas.
    (???) Centennial Park is in Mustang.

I actually saw a fox on Saturday in far southwest Oklahoma City -- rural area.

Thunder, if a coyote comes up to you, please don't try to pet it. Please. There is plenty of food for the coyotes so they aren't starving. They are wild animals and if it is coming up to you, it is either sick or up to do good, both of which won't come down in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    (video has language)
    I am just east of Mustang and we regularly hear the coyotes but usually at a distance. A couple of weeks ago, however, it sounded like one was right outside my window yip, yip, yipping. I was surprised that my dogs didn't show any alarm. They didn't even lift their heads although they weren't asleep. If that was a dog, they'd have been ready to go outside and tear them up. I wonder if discretion is the better part of valor when it comes to coyotes. My girls are bigger but I don't think they'd come out ahead in a fight.

A friend of mine with Samoyeds used to live in Arizona and she tells how newcomers to the area just didn't realize that little dogs are coyote snacks. Beloved Fifi would just go missing when they let her out back to do her business in the morning.

The last few years the coyotes are more numerous than I ever recall and in really good condition. Last January sometime when the snow was still on the ground I watched three coyotes running across the pasture toward the tree line. Suddenly one of them seemed to jump up and then disappeared. Immediately my attention was drawn to the roadway and a parked pickup. I was startled to see a man with a rifle calmly getting back inside the cab and driving off.

Thread Information