Widgets Magazine
Page 95 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4590919293949596979899 LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 2474

Thread: Project 180

Default Re: Project 180

So P180 is currently underway on Main in between the Cotter Ranch Tower and Continental buildings. They just tore up a significant portion of the brand new concrete that they poured last week and are now dealing with something below. This entire project is the quietest, yet one of the biggest blunders in OKC tax history.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    So P180 is currently underway on Main in between the Cotter Ranch Tower and Continental buildings. They just tore up a significant portion of the brand new concrete that they poured last week and are now dealing with something below. This entire project is the quietest, yet one of the biggest blunders in OKC tax history.
    I'd take P180 with blunders any day over no P180.

Sure the city should have been more realistic from the get go but most of the delays of late are due to the unknown spaghetti of pipes underground (some over 100 yrs old), cranky property owners who have demanded re-designs and other unfortunate circumstances relating to scheduling conflicts and cooperation with other downtown projects. Not saying the implementation has been wonderful and I like everyone else am getting sick of constant construction, but to cast p180, the city and the construction crews in such negative light seems unfair to me.

3. Default Re: Project 180

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Now it will be interesting to see if anyone is held accountable to this. ... I mean, tearing up recently completed streets, horrible paint jobs, the "RUSH" to do P180 instead of coordinating it with the KNOWN streetcar, businesses going out-of-business while streets are torn-up, and the general UGLY appearance this has had on downtown for the past 5+ years. ..

Will anybody accept accountability for this? Will the city learn that it must be accountable for the negatives (and not just gloat on the positives) to retain the trust of the public? Accountability means MUCH MORE than just an "update" on the new/revised schedule, accountability means information on WHY there needs to be a revised schedule in the first place and an APPROVAL to do so. ..

You can't just do this quietly, particularly when the city gloated so much that "this was the largest public street improvement of any major city" blah blah blah. It's made OKC look very barren and desolate or at least helped reinforce that already held belief. And its wasted lots of public funds and in many cases cost jobs not to mention the time of folks having to navigate around all of this mess. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    I'd take P180 with blunders any day over no P180.

Sure the city should have been more realistic from the get go but most of the delays of late are due to the unknown spaghetti of pipes underground (some over 100 yrs old), cranky property owners who have demanded re-designs and other unfortunate circumstances relating to scheduling conflicts and cooperation with other downtown projects. Not saying the implementation has been wonderful and I like everyone else am getting sick of constant construction, but to cast p180, the city and the construction crews in such negative light seems unfair to me.
    Oh, it's plenty fair. Do you know how much it's actually gone over budget, how much they've stripped out of the original project, how far they've blown the deadlines repeatedly, how much repeat work has been done, how much shoddy work has been done, ad nauseum? If not, skim back over the thread (since I don't think there's one post/article that sums up all of that, but there should be, just to point people to ).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Oh, it's plenty fair. Do you know how much it's actually gone over budget, how much they've stripped out of the original project, how far they've blown the deadlines repeatedly, how much repeat work has been done, how much shoddy work has been done, ad nauseum? If not, skim back over the thread (since I don't think there's one post/article that sums up all of that, but there should be, just to point people to ).
    This. There should be an investigative, cumulative report on this fiasco. Yes, I'm glad we're doing it. No, the people running it have not done a good job. And in this city, they will totally get away with it.

I don't know what the deal or problem is with road, sidewalk, street construnction in OKC in general is. Thus isn't project 180 related, but early ladtonth I watched them tear up and rebuild the corner at Lincoln and Memorial to accommodate FEDEX trucks turning onto Lincoln for the new distribution center. Then two weeks later they tore it up again and redid it. So who paid for that and what was the screw up? Who knows?

8. Default Re: Project 180

I don't believe the work on Main South of the Cotter tower is P180. I believe it is a result of steam line work being done by Veolia. I could be wrong, but I believe that is what is going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseDweller View Post
    I don't believe the work on Main South of the Cotter tower is P180. I believe it is a result of steam line work being done by Veolia. I could be wrong, but I believe that is what is going on here.
    It's both! P180 "lite" is being implemented on main from EK Gaylord to Broadway (maybe all the way to Rob but I'm not sure) and on Broadway from Sheridan to Kerr.

11. Default Re: Project 180

All I can say is PTL

Except they still have a lot of work to do and the contract completion date was for August of 2017.

They are going to miss by almost a year on a project that was supposed to be done in a year. They are also way over budget.

Among other things, they are to completely re-stripe EKG all the way to NW 4th.

13. Default Re: Project 180

I was referring to it being open and free-flowing without barricades - after years of closures - not to timelines or work remaining, so no “except.” This particular stretch of closure has been incredibly damaging to Bricktown. Far, far worse than even a year+ of streetcar construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I was referring to it being open and free-flowing without barricades - after years of closures - not to timelines or work remaining, so no “except.” This particular stretch of closure has been incredibly damaging to Bricktown. Far, far worse than even a year+ of streetcar construction.
    And I was talking about another city-run project that is way, way past deadline and way over budget.

It's a very important issue.

15. Default Re: Project 180

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And I was talking about another city-run project that is way, way past deadline and way over budget.

It's a very important issue.
    Yes, but you were specifically responding to my PTL comment. It's perfectly possible and acceptable - especially as someone whose business has been impacted by this particular closure - to be relieved that traffic is finally free-flowing, AND to still be questioning the things you are questioning. The two positions are not mutually exclusive, yet your comment reads that way.

I did not mean it that way.

17. Default Re: Project 180

I get that, but again, it reads like I was somehow excusing the excessive timeline on this. If anything my relief is specifically because of the unbelievable length of time this stretch has taken.

I understand.

And it's really unacceptable, especially since this project started way back in 2009 and we still can't figure out how to properly manage individual sections.

It also makes me very concerned about the management of the hundreds of millions soon to be spent on all types of road projects due to the sales tax and GOLT bond initiatives.

I think this is the best place to put there. Please move if necessary:

OKC to re-sign streets with two names

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record April 24, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – Finding Robinson Avenue downtown shouldn’t be more difficult than a scavenger hunt at a party, Oklahoma City Public Works Director Eric Wenger said.

The City Council approved a proposal Tuesday that would simplify City Hall’s honorary street-sign-naming program, leaving original street names in place while adding second nameplates to honor important people. The current policy is to supplant the original name, even though it may apply only to a single block.

As it stands now, for example, Robinson Avenue turns into Thunder Drive near the arena and then it becomes Ron Norick Boulevard to honor the city’s NBA basketball team and former mayor, respectively. South of downtown, the street becomes Robinson Avenue again.

A similar situation occurs near the baseball stadium in Bricktown when Reno Avenue becomes Johnny Bench Drive and Walnut Avenue turns in Mickey Mantle Drive.

Online street mapping programs show the name changes, but they can still be confusing to tourists, business customers and emergency responders, Wenger said. The adjustment requires several notifications and readdressing affected properties.

“It’s quite complicated and takes a lot of time,” Wenger said. “And it’s maybe not always in the best interests of the city and council.”

Under the new program, an application fee of $50 plus sign fabrication and installation fee of $150 per sign will be charged to cover administrative costs and sign installation components. The cost of labor and other materials associated with modifying existing post-mounted street name sign assemblies will be provided by the city under existing sign maintenance activities.

Mayor David Holt voted in favor of the new double-naming policy with the rest of the City Council, adding that it has been a problem since he first served as former Mayor Mick Cornett’s chief of staff four terms ago.

Councilwoman Meg Salyer said she has seen the concept implemented in major cities across the country such as Chicago, and that it is much less confusing for visitors unfamiliar with those areas.

Council members expressed concern that the public works director would be solely responsible for approving applications and setting petition signature standards on a case-by-case basis. Wenger said kinks in the program will be worked out and presented to City Council for correction.

The policy will not apply to waterways or other modes of transportation, department spokeswoman Shannon Cox said. So the North Canadian River that passes through the city along Interstate 40 will still be known as the Oklahoma River at about MacArthur Boulevard until it reaches Interstate 35 to the east and becomes the North Canadian again.

HangryHippo Guest

I love this and think it's a great decision. The constant switching is pointless and, frankly, irritating as hell. I just wish it also applied to other modes of transportation as well.

I really wish we’d revert the name of the Oklahoma River back to the N Canadian. It’s silly to change it for such a short arbitrary distance. Glad to see the change to the street names.

Still quite a ways to go on finishing up the sidewalks on the west side of EKG.

Also, the intersection with Reno is still such a mess I saw a big group walking on the streetcar tracks on Reno just to get around.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Still quite a ways to go on finishing up the sidewalks on the west side of EKG.

Also, the intersection with Reno is still such a mess I saw a big group walking on the streetcar tracks on Reno just to get around.

I walked through here after the craft beer festival on Friday... As a pedestrian, if you want to go east on Reno and cross EKG, your only real option is to use the sidewalk on the south side of Reno. The sidewalk/plaza on the north side of Reno is completely blocked off, which would force you to walk in the street if you didn't cross to the south. It's a total cluster. Though I did walk over to the streetcar stop being built on EKG to check it out. Granted, I did not have my full faculties about me (and it was dark out too) but at first blush it did not appear that any utilities were stubbed out here for a ticket kiosk, shelter, or monument sign. I find it somewhat interesting that they would build the raised platform for the streetcar, even though it won't be a regular stop, but not plan ahead and at least make the platform ready for the same amenities that other streetcar stops have.

24. Default Re: Project 180

^^^^^^^^^^^
    My guess is that they will be installing those things on that stop before service begins. Pretty much all of the stops are in various stages of completion, and none of them are fully completed. Almost none of them have railings for instance. None of them have full shelter, bench treatment. None of them have screens fully installed, kiosks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    My guess is that they will be installing those things on that stop before service begins. Pretty much all of the stops are in various stages of completion, and none of them are fully completed. Almost none of them have railings for instance. None of them have full shelter, bench treatment. None of them have screens fully installed, kiosks, etc.
    I don't doubt this, but at the other stops I've looked at, electrical service was stubbed up through the concrete platform in preparation for the platform equipment. There's a good chance I missed it, given that it was after dark, but I don't remember seeing any electrical conduit poking up through the concrete at this stop. I might have to go take a look again, though.

Thread Information