Widgets Magazine
Page 96 of 99 FirstFirst ... 46919293949596979899 LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 2474

Thread: Project 180

Default Re: Project 180

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I understand.

And it's really unacceptable, especially since this project started way back in 2009 and we still can't figure out how to properly manage individual sections.

It also makes me very concerned about the management of the hundreds of millions soon to be spent on all types of road projects due to the sales tax and GOLT bond initiatives.
    I'm still dumbfounded about how we manage to spend way too much money and and take WWAAAAYYY too long to build roads in this city. What is it? Poor management? Poor planning? Both? I'd like to draw David Holt's attention to this and see if we can get a reply. He seems pretty active on social media and I'd LOVE to draw more attention to this.

Photo of pedestrians walking down Reno due to the almost 2-year long closing of the sidewalk on the north side of that street just west of EKG.

So they have restriped many of the crosswalks along EKG. They are much wider and more visible than ever before, which is a great thing. However, I noticed in the rain, they are incredibly slick. Like I was shocked at how easily it was to slip on them. I just don't understand why this city can't get crosswalk paint right.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    So they have restriped many of the crosswalks along EKG. They are much wider and more visible than ever before, which is a great thing. However, I noticed in the rain, they are incredibly slick. Like I was shocked at how easily it was to slip on them. I just don't understand why this city can't get crosswalk paint right.
    paint for the lanes + bike lanes on the non p180 stretch of EK are coming soon as well. The number of lanes will be reduced to match the p180 section and parking will be added iirc

I would love if they added side parking and a bike lane to EKG, but a large part of EKG doesn't even have a sidewalk on the east side. Parking over there would be a mess with no construction redesign.

agreed. I don't know how they are going to handle that. Some kind of sidewalk has always been needed over there. There's a well worn dirt trail on that side that's been there as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Perhaps they are slick because they are new. I would expect OKC gets its pavement marking paint from a company who sells it to municipalities all over the country.

Quote Originally Posted by theanvil View Post
    Perhaps they are slick because they are new. I would expect OKC gets its pavement marking paint from a company who sells it to municipalities all over the country.
    I think the previous sidewalk paint failed prematurely due to not being compatible with the grade of concrete. Something to that effect.

My workplace had all the parking lots repainted and the contractor did not put grit in the paint. When it rained, they would get really slick and they had to come back and redo the work. I wonder if the same thing happened here

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    My workplace had all the parking lots repainted and the contractor did not put grit in the paint. When it rained, they would get really slick and they had to come back and redo the work. I wonder if the same thing happened here
    Why, why, why can't OKC figure this stuff out?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    I can confirm that the grit was at least on location. Walking to and from the santa fe garage while these crosswalks were being done I got pelted by the grit, and it blew into piles in the stairwell of the garage

Blog Entries

With heavy traffic often an oily film builds up on streets. Then the next rain can make it slick until enough rain falls and washes it off.

Are the intersections not being repaved? I thought it was only temporary asphalt... Why not use concrete like the rest of the street?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Are the intersections not being repaved? I thought it was only temporary asphalt... Why not use concrete like the rest of the street?
    They are concrete just a darker color.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They are concrete just a darker color.
    It's been said concrete comes in two colors ... old and new.

18. Default Re: Project 180

I know that's a joke but just to be clear the intersections are darker tinted concrete by design as an aesthetic choice.

Hmm, it just doesn't look as nice as the lighter concrete to me... but what am I gonna do...

The median in front of the turn into the Cox Garage has been completely torn up this morning. Bad pour?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The median in front of the turn into the Cox Garage has been completely torn up this morning. Bad pour?
    Don't worry about it, just add it to the bill.

But no really, there is a brand new portion @ Main/EKG that was poured with a slope in the opposite direction than what was needed. So there is a huge pool of water in one of the west-bound lanes on Main. It is incredible how bad some of the P180 is and to think how it was supposed to be much more expansive and also finished years ago.

22. Default Re: Project 180

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Hmm, it just doesn't look as nice as the lighter concrete to me... but what am I gonna do...
    Check it out in person from a ground-level POV before digging in on that position too much. I agree that in the aerial it isn't as pretty, but think this is in part due to the fact that the other is very new and the tinted portion has a bit of a patchwork appearance due to some panels being newer than others. But from the ground I definitely like the tinted concrete, and also like the fact that it differentiates the intersection from the traffic lanes and wordlessly communicates to drivers that something is different here. It also creates more contrast with the crosswalk striping. Both of these things might enhance pedestrian safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Check it out in person from a ground-level POV before digging in on that position too much. I agree that in the aerial it isn't as pretty, but think this is in part due to the fact that the other is very new and the tinted portion has a bit of a patchwork appearance due to some panels being newer than others. But from the ground I definitely like the tinted concrete, and also like the fact that it differentiates the intersection from the traffic lanes and wordlessly communicates to drivers that something is different here. It also creates more contrast with the crosswalk striping. Both of these things might enhance pedestrian safety.
    I do agree with the better contrast against the crosswalk. I think the patchwork is what really makes me think of it as being less nice looking.

It's a shame there's apparently a limit to how much sidewalk can be constructed simultaneously.

Thread Information