Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 99 FirstFirst 1234567891055 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 180

Default Re: Project 180

Quote Originally Posted by westsidesooner View Post
    I sure would love to see a larger (or more detailed) version of this pic or more renderings.....any availible? It looks awesome.

Here is the thread dedicated to the Myriad Gardens renovation:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-are...-makeover.html

Post #9 by metro has other renderings.

2. Default Re: Project 180

More renderings of the street changes are on my blog OKC Central - Information about Oklahoma City, Bricktown and beyond

If not too much bother, could someone explain to me where exactly the central park will tie in? I've driven the areas that I think will be involved, but can't seem to reconcile my version with the gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by MGE1977 View Post
    If not too much bother, could someone explain to me where exactly the central park will tie in? I've driven the areas that I think will be involved, but can't seem to reconcile my version with the gardens.
    The Central Park will be two blocks wide (like the Myriad Gardens), will start where I-40 currently presides and will go down to where I-40 will be in 2012. So it will be two blocks wide and five blocks long. The Skydance Pedestrian Bridge will be going south across the new I-40 at Robinson. The park will then continue south of I-40, one block wide (Harvey to Robinson) to the Oklahoma River. The main area between the current I-40 and the new I-40 will be about 40 acres and the area south will be about 30 acres. At least, that is the plan

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The Central Park will be two blocks wide (like the Myriad Gardens), will start where I-40 currently presides and will go down to where I-40 will be in 2012. So it will be two blocks wide and five blocks long. The Skydance Pedestrian Bridge will be going south across the new I-40 at Robinson. The park will then continue south of I-40, one block wide (Harvey to Robinson) to the Oklahoma River. The main area between the current I-40 and the new I-40 will be about 40 acres and the area south will be about 30 acres. At least, that is the plan

Thank you, for some reason, I was under the impression that it would link to the gardens. I suppose this is due to the "Devon's front yard" thing. Thank you for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by MGE1977 View Post
    The Myriad Gardens is two blocks wide, running east to west between Hudson and Robinson Avenues. The new park is planned to be in the same 2 block alignment, between Hudson and Robinson.

The Gardens' south edge is presently Reno Avenue. The new park is planned to to have it's north edge along the new Boulevard, which will be constructed in the same place where I-40 is now, basically, SW 3rd Street. The new park will continue south, two blocks in width, until it meets up with the new I-40, at approximated SW 8 to 9th Street

The area between the current Gardens and the north edge of the new park, Reno to SW 3rd, is currently the Downtown Ford auto dealership and other support businesses such as Ira's tire store. The design is for this property to be redeveloped into uses such as office, commercial, possibly hospitality uses, with a 'green' link along the Harvey Avenue alignment, connecting the Garden's and the new park.

On the south side of the new park, the new I-40, there will be a pedestrian bridge that crosses the new highway, at approximately the Harvey Avenue area, connecting with more linear park space that will continue south until it meets up with the north side of the Oklahoma River.

Quote Originally Posted by DelCamino View Post
    The Myriad Gardens is two blocks wide, running east to west between Hudson and Robinson Avenues. The new park is planned to be in the same 2 block alignment, between Hudson and Robinson.

The Gardens' south edge is presently Reno Avenue. The new park is planned to to have it's north edge along the new Boulevard, which will be constructed in the same place where I-40 is now, basically, SW 3rd Street. The new park will continue south, two blocks in width, until it meets up with the new I-40, at approximated SW 8 to 9th Street

The area between the current Gardens and the north edge of the new park, Reno to SW 3rd, is currently the Downtown Ford auto dealership and other support businesses such as Ira's tire store. The design is for this property to be redeveloped into uses such as office, commercial, possibly hospitality uses, with a 'green' link along the Harvey Avenue alignment, connecting the Garden's and the new park.

On the south side of the new park, the new I-40, there will be a pedestrian bridge that crosses the new highway, at approximately the Harvey Avenue area, connecting with more linear park space that will continue south until it meets up with the north side of the Oklahoma River.

And thank you as well. This is all very informative, and frankly exciting.

Look for an announcement soon re: Bob Howard Ford (S. of Myriad Gardens) relocating.

9. Default Re: Project 180

MAPS3, the 2007 bond issue and the Project 180 appear to be historical projects for OKC. The present a great challenge for those involved to spend money in the most efficient possible way. I hope the people in charge of Project 180 plan their work around MAPS3 projects (and vice-versa) in such a way that there isn't renovation work UN-done and wasted. Hopefully, they will have great communication channels. Wasting money would certainly not help any future project elections.

10. Default Re: Project 180

I totally agree mug. Does anyone know, for instance, if Project 180 will have some consideration for the streetcar lines?

IMO, I think the streetcar should be the FIRST of the MAPS 3 projects, not necessarily to have it up and running but moreso have it PLANNED and rails being put in - to take advantage of Project 180's tearing up of the streets.

I/WE (Im sure) would HATE for the city to renovate the streets only to tear them up again for rail.

Is there some way the city could "borrow" from the 180 money to get planning for the streetcar in full steam? If Project 180 will start in May, that means we have roughly 6 to 10 months to have a plan for the streetcar before we'd begin to see street construction in the 'rail' corridor/alignments. That's NOT a lot of time and certainly there might not be enough MAPS money collected in that essentially 1-6 month time, particularly if the mayor really wants Central Park to begin first.

I truly hope everyone will sit down together; 2007 bond leaders, Project 180 coordinators, and MAPS 3 officials - so that where projects overlap we can plan accordingly and gain synergy. There should eventually be more than enough money to complete ALL projects with synergy gained - so much so that I think the MAPS 3 projects should all be world class and top knotch. We may even have much longer than 6 miles of rail for our 'starter' tram route.

OMG, what a time to be from OKC or live in OKC. ... This all is BIG and will totally help OKC realize the potential all of us have known the city to have.

I do hope, that once the downtown makeover is in full earnest - that city leaders start planning and rezoning (and enforcing) the inner city urban areas surrounding downtown, so that those areas develop organically and we have strategically placed incubators of development to ensure we get the fully thriving city we want. From there we could go to the inner suburban core.

I honestly hope/think that the city should trim off the rural areas of the city limits and the state to give ACOG and/or Oklahoma County more power to manage the watershed areas (without the city having to incorporate that said areas).

If we had a city limit coinciding with the current urban area, OKC today would still have 550,000 people but the city size would be about 300 square miles (keeping some area in the NW/SW for growth). That corresponds to a reported population density of 1833 1/3 ppsm, more than double the roughly 900 figure they currently use. Tell me which figure is a more accurate representation/feel of OKC? (900 or 1833 1/3)

Tell me, with that density figure (which surely will be higher in years to come) - that retailers would continue to balk at a city with a brand new downtown, population over 600,000 (metro over 1.4M) and city density over 2,000 ppsm?

OKC surely should be right there in 2012 - we need to get ready for it NOW and plan accordingly.

Good times! Continue the Renaissance!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

HotRod: Great to hear from you! Wish you were back here in OKC.

So am I the only one that's kind of underwhelmed by what's been presented so far for the new streetscapes?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    So am I the only one that's kind of underwhelmed by what's been presented so far for the new streetscapes?
    What were you expecting and what suggestions do you have to offer to make it better?

I really like what I've seen from Project 180 so far. It looks very big city.

I'm excited about this project, my only concern is the landscaping (trees, shrub beds, etc the proposal calls for property owners to take care of areas that front their buildings or possibly a fund set up for ongoing maintenance. I know that in the past things were built with maintenance plans in place, and after a few months they realize how expensive and time consuming it is and the maintenance falls back on the already underfunded Parks Department.

16. Default Re: Project 180

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I'm excited about this project, my only concern is the landscaping (trees, shrub beds, etc the proposal calls for property owners to take care of areas that front their buildings or possibly a fund set up for ongoing maintenance. I know that in the past things were built with maintenance plans in place, and after a few months they realize how expensive and time consuming it is and the maintenance falls back on the already underfunded Parks Department.
    I'm sure it will be maintained by the BID (Downtown OKC, Inc).

What have you seen besides the 2 renderings on Steve's blog? I've seen quite a bit and really like it. The new Robinson will have some really cool features in the (narrower) median involving native stone.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Now that's what I like to hear about. Involve native stone. I also liked hearing about the corner fountain at the Myriad Gardens going in, and the possibility of LED lights on Crystal Bridge. I want to see what $120 million is actually being used for..

2 renderings.. no I've seen about 10 renderings probably. Everything that the city has released on its website and in the reports, I've seen. I am grateful that Anthony McDermid was able to seal the deal for horizontal street lights. There I said something positive.

18. Default Re: Project 180

Spartan, I've posted links on my blog to the full update reports that have a lot more detail than in the two renderings.

19. Default Re: Project 180

Well I've seen the full renderings of the gardens as well and it's a tremendous improvement. I love it. No more ugly concrete brutalist architecture.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Steve what blog are you talking about, Okccentral for me still has two pictures with no links,can you point me in the right direction please.

21. Default Re: Project 180

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    HotRod: Great to hear from you! Wish you were back here in OKC.
    thanks for the shout out Laramie. I love the progress OKC is doing, I hope it continues and the taxpayers get the best bang out of their buck,
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Spartan, I've posted links on my blog to the full update reports that have a lot more detail than in the two renderings.
    This is what I've seen:
    http://www.okc.gov/project180/PROJEC...11.9.09(2).pdf

23. Default Re: Project 180

I like the one of the gardens looking across the lake to the new water stage. Hadn't seen that one before.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

I noticed this week that Robinson north of Main is already closed and they are tearing up the street. Anyone know if it is really for Project 180 or something else? I assumed it is but wasn't sure. If so, I am glad to see them get started so quick!

25. Default Re: Project 180

What's going on now is all the utility companies were asked to do any repairs or relocations they forecast as being needed in the next decade now before 180 construction starts.

Thread Information