Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 99 FirstFirst 12345678954 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 180

Default Re: Renderings/plans for downtown streetscape (Devon TIF funds)

Actually, I think we are talking about two separate things:

• The TIF (Tax Increment Financing) is the property (in this case being develped by Devon) that will generate the taxes.
    • The TIRZ (Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone) is the area where those dollars will be spent.

I believe the area shown by Del is the TIRZ. Small distinction but I wanted to get this in the discussion so I (and others) can keep it straight in the future.

But as stated, there are lots of other funds available through the general oblgvation bond and the opportunity fund, and I believe Nichols insisted this all be invested for the Myriad Gardens and overall streetscape projects, including Bricktown, Auto Alley, Midtown, The Film Exchange, Deep Duece and the Arts District.

It also seems like the most work is needed with the TIRZ (effectively the CBD) as several streets need to be converted to two-way, on-street parking is to be added and the higher density requires more of just about everything. It's also the most visible and trafficed part of downtown thus deserves and needs the most attention.

Quote Originally Posted by DelCamino View Post
    The consultant was going for a replica of the state wildflower, the 'Indian Blanket.'
    aka 'Gaillardia'

Quote Originally Posted by DelCamino View Post
    Thanks Pete. Yes, I remember the 2007 Bond devoted to downtown streetscaping projects and you're right; it's that money which will have to be utilized in the areas outside of the Devon TIF. That TIF district was specifically defined in the creation of the TIF last December.

I'm trying to make sure about the actual boundaries, and so far, have only found the info I posted above.
    Actually, the GO Bond funds could still be used within the TIF district... they could supplement TIF projects if need be.

4. Default Re: Renderings/plans for downtown streetscape (Devon TIF funds)

Here's the big thing guys... what we're talking about - the gardens, the streetscapes - that's all "PHASE 1." The relatively unprogramed phase 2 will be bigger....
    Now, before anyone jumps to respond, sit, close your eyes, and contemplate what this really means.
    Yeah, this is big. Is anyone still accusing of making a big deal out of nothing on this?

I'm trying to add up all the dollars involved.

Steve, in your article of today you mentioned there would be $95 million in street improvements. A few days ago it was announced $35 million would go towards the Myriad Gardens. That's at least $130 million for these two projects plus whatever it takes to set up an on-going maintenance endowment.

The Devon TIF is estimated at $115 million, there is $44 million from a 2007 general obligation bond and about another $40 million from the oportunity fund. That's a total of $199 million minus at least $150 million for what is being called Phase I.

Where is all the money coming from for an even larger Phase II??

6. Default Re: Renderings/plans for downtown streetscape (Devon TIF funds)

OK, now you're challenging my math and memory, which is always worth doing ...
    Here's what I was told in September:
    The first phase improvements, set to be completed by the tower's opening in 2012, will be funded by $59.6 million from the increment district and $17.4 million in bond funding voters approved in 2007 (this is the street package, without the gardens).
    A couple of weeks ago, I was told there would $35 million going to the gardens from the TIF, with another $8.75 million from the 2007 bond issue for replacing the Crystal Bridge's glass panes.
    Today I had a story in which city officials said more than half of the $95 million for streetscapes would be bid out next year, with the other half to be bid out the following two years.
    My understanding is that $95 million still represents Phase I.
    Now we've got to figure out if Phase I went up in funding, or if more funding is materializing for the entire tif than first anticipated...
    Good questions Pete. Are you interested in a career where you're expected to be ok with low pay, long hours and humiliating insults?
    (just kidding... kinda...)

Good questions Pete. Are you interested in a career where you're expected to be ok with low pay, long hours and humiliating insults?
    Haha!

Actually, I'm already ahead of you there. I have a job that I actually have to PAY to do (host this site) and I'm more than happy to forward some of the complaints and endless and often contridicting 'suggestions' that come my way.

But I suspect both of us do all this for reasons other than fame and fortune.

Anyway, I don't mean to give you a hard time I just like to try and figure things out!

8. Default Re: Renderings/plans for downtown streetscape (Devon TIF funds)

Oh yeah... Pete, you're crazier than I am! In all seriousness, a decade ago I was part of a reporting team with Jack Money covering this kind of development downtown. Sadly, the reality of the business doesn't allow for such team reporting much anymore and Jack left the paper in January. I owe much of my success over the years to having had a great partner in crime. Fortunately, we still get to work on books together.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Here's the big thing guys... what we're talking about - the gardens, the streetscapes - that's all "PHASE 1." The relatively unprogramed phase 2 will be bigger....
    Now, before anyone jumps to respond, sit, close your eyes, and contemplate what this really means.
    Yeah, this is big. Is anyone still accusing of making a big deal out of nothing on this?
    I don't remember anyone saying it wasn't a big deal, I think the majority of us grasped that it was from the get go.

10. Default Re: Renderings/plans for downtown streetscape (Devon TIF funds)

Yeah, there were some, Metro. Not you, but others. Some registered their doubts with comments, others by email, others in person....

Thanks for clarifying, I just didn't notice much online, nor in personal conversations, so I get the general feeling the majority realize how big this is. Anyhow, keep up the good reporting.

This seems awesome. I did hear some grumbling about "Devon's strong-arm tactics," and, conversely, how the "city was trying to hold Devon back, and we better let them have what they want or they'll move to Houston."

It's really funny what you hear.

13. Default Re: Renderings/plans for downtown streetscape (Devon TIF funds)

This really is exciting. Great renderings.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

There is a new website with a presentation on this entire project (now dubbed Project 180 -- I love that!) here:

City of Oklahoma City | Public Information & Marketing

not sure why there elected to use an acres measurement for the the street area to be renovated, just seems a wee countrified but this WILL look nice.

Default Project 180

Project 180 to Transform Downtown Oklahoma City
    Posted: Dec 14, 2009 3:50 PM CST Updated: Dec 15, 2009 8:29 AM CST

Oklahoma City to Receive Makeover Downtown

The focus of Project 180 will be on 180 blocks downtown.

By Gan Matthews, NEWS 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Downtown Oklahoma City has changed a lot in recent years, and is about to get another big makeover starting next year.

The project has nothing to do with the latest MAPS initiative, but it has something to do the construction of the new Devon Energy building downtown and some recent bond issues.

Project 180 is the name of a downtown makeover covering 180 blocks. The Myriad Gardens will undergo some of the biggest changes.

For openers, the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory will be re-glazed. New, clear panels will replace the acrylic one. The Gardens will be closed for a year for other improvements, too.

"I believe that over here in the east garden where our Christmas tree is at we're having a restaurant and then on the other side of that we're getting an ice skating rink and stuff, so yeah, it's gonna be awesome," Linda Hanley with the Myriad Gardens Security said.

And that's just the beginning. Project 180 will makeover everything you stand on in downtown, from streets to sidewalks.

"You'll see that we're going to have landscaping, they'll see new parking meters, they'll see even plug-ins for electric cars," Kristy Yager with the city of Oklahoma City said.

Complementing the decision by Devon Energy to build its new headquarters downtown, Project 180 will aim to attract more businesses and economic development into the area.

Default Re: Project 180

This sounds like a great project. The ultimate spring cleaning. BTW - I loved the new way finder system downtown while we were there a few weeks ago. I just followed the arrows where I wanted to go. It was a big help.

News9's copywriters are horrible.

Ya, Oklahoma City needs this face lift but commuting downtown will be a NIGHTMARE for about a year..

There only doing a few streets at a time. I think that it is the goal of the city to make sure that it is as painless as possible.

I got an e-mail yesterday from What's Up Downtown about the Project 180 Meetings being held in the 3rd floor of city hall council chamber (3rd floor). There will be meetings Dec 17th, Dec 29th and Jan 12th at noon and 6pm. The e-mail states that all of the meetings will cover the same information and will give people information about the 3 year project and the impact it will have on you and your business.
    I tried to find the information on the downtownokc website but was not successful. This is a e-newsletter that I signed up for somewhere when I was downtown that I get probably once a week so I am sure the meetings are open to everyone.

22. Default Re: Project 180

Yes I've seen the announcement of those meetings in several places. If only OCURA would be so open.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

The City has several pages on its website dedicated to the Project 180 initiative. Here is the page about the Public Meetings - dates and times:

City of Oklahoma City | Public Information & Marketing

* Dec. 17 noon & 6 p.m.
    * Dec. 29 noon & 6 p.m.
    * Jan. 12 noon & 6 p.m.

Meetings will be held in the City Hall Council Chamber, 200 N Walker (3rd floor).

All meetings will cover the same information and they are open to everyone.

Oklahoma City seeks quick turnaround
    Project 180, which will give downtown a makeover, will begin as early as May
    BY STEVE LACKMEYER
    The Oklahoman
    Published: December 18, 2009

The first public presentation of Project 180 — the $140 million downtown makeover — was met with a positive response from the more than 60 people who gathered Thursday at City Hall.

Assistant City Engineer Laura Story told the crowd the project remains on track for starting May 1, and wrapping up in 2014.

Once complete, all streets, sidewalks, parks and public spaces in the 180-acre central business district and arts district will have been rebuilt.

For the rest of Steve's article:

NewsOK

I sure would love to see a larger (or more detailed) version of this pic or more renderings.....any availible? It looks awesome.

Thread Information