Widgets Magazine

Thread: Whatever happened to.....?

Default Whatever happened to.....?

I was looking at real estate listings this evening and ran across a well known OKC business man. Larry Evans is now selling real estate for an Edmond company. Do you have any whatever happened to stories????

Default Re: Whatever happened to.....?

Larry Evans dad was "Duke" Evans....the REAL furniture man in OKC. He owned big red Furniture downtown and then at the railroad on S. Western. Evans moved out to where the others are and then the company sold to Mathis Brothers. The original Mathis Brothers, and Jude 'n Jody all worked for Duke in the beginning of the furniture world. Other than that, I don't know anything else....I had thought Larry was going to run that part of the Mathis empire....There was a guy by the name of John Lahon that was the pitch man for Evans for a long time.....then his daughter was on the air for a while...and was she pretty.. Last I heard, she was in Tulsa...But, that's been some time ago....

Bryce Baggett Jr? What a nutcase. I don't remember much about the politics of his dad, but he made Billy Carter and Roger Clinton look dignified.

4. Default Re: Whatever happened to.....?

I recall that the "Jude" in Jude 'n Jody Furniture was arrested in recent years in a hooker sting, but they were able to keep it out of the media. He was probably 75 then.

Possibly but, he's not 75 yet....

7. Default Re: Whatever happened to.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Possibly but, he's not 75 yet....
    If you're referring to Julian "Jude" Daline Northcutt, you're right - he isn't 75 - HE'S 78. He was 75 when he was busted.

Brings back memories as to why I never liked the Jude&Jody tv program

Larry Evans dad was "Duke" Evans....the REAL furniture man in OKC. He owned big red Furniture downtown and then at the railroad on S. Western. Evans moved out to where the others are and then the company sold to Mathis Brothers. The original Mathis Brothers, and Jude 'n Jody all worked for Duke in the beginning of the furniture world. Other than that, I don't know anything else....I had thought Larry was going to run that part of the Mathis empire....There was a guy by the name of John Lahon that was the pitch man for Evans for a long time.....then his daughter was on the air for a while...and was she pretty.. Last I heard, she was in Tulsa...But, that's been some time ago....
    Are you talking about Jan or Jill?

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Brings back memories as to why I never liked the Jude&Jody tv program
    I'm not sure why they were ever popular. It certainly wasn't because of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    Are you talking about Jan or Jill?
    Jan.............right?????

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm not sure why they were ever popular. It certainly wasn't because of talent.
    you obviously didn't know them. Jody was a very talented person...

you obviously didn't know them. Jody was a very talented person...
    If he was, it never came across on his TV shows. I could sing better than either of them and you don't want to hear me sing. LOL

you might find Jody's story interesting.
    http://www.oklahomarock.com/blog/?p=2164

Quote Originally Posted by village idiot View Post
    you might find Jody's story interesting.
    http://www.oklahomarock.com/blog/?p=2164
    To the Village Idiot:...Thanks again for covering for me as you have over the past 60 years. But, as you also know Jody was a very good friend of mine. The previous story just barely hits the "High Spots" of Jody's life. He was ALWAYS there if I needed him and no matter what, he stood by his word wheteher right or wrong. Yes, he could play the guitar and he held his own with many of Country's top talents.....Jude must have made a "Huge" mistake....But he's probably not the only one to do that...moving along.....Jody's mom was a great lady and his dad was as onery as possible....

16. Default Re: Whatever happened to.....?

I agree, I looked forward to their show. They always had big name or at least who I thought were big name guests. My dad's business was located at 23rd & S. Western for a time and he also was a pilot so we often would eat lunch at the Downtown Airpark. Many times we would see Jude & Jody in there as well. One or both of them also flew. I remember they had a black and white Aero Commander. Really nice guys that didn't mind a rowdy 5 year old bothering them while they were eating.
    To the Village Idiot:...Thanks again for covering for me as you have over the past 60 years. But, as you also know Jody was a very good friend of mine. The previous story just barely hits the "High Spots" of Jody's life. He was ALWAYS there if I needed him and no matter what, he stood by his word wheteher right or wrong. Yes, he could play the guitar and he held his own with many of Country's top talents.....Jude must have made a "Huge" mistake....But he's probably not the only one to do that...moving along.....Jody's mom was a great lady and his dad was as onery as possible....

In a "Whatever Happened" story does anyone out there know whatever happened to the people or family at Nicolosis's Restaurant. Have they (all the family) gotten out of the restaurant business?.....They had the best Lasagna I believe I had ever eaten......

Prunepicker Guest

Whatever happened to Dennis Donuts, Bonapartes, Shakey's, and
    I mean besides closing. Any scoop?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Whatever happened to Dennis Donuts, Bonapartes, Shakey's, and
    I mean besides closing. Any scoop?
    Dennis Donuts sold out....I think Dunkin donuts bought them...(not for sure) but they did sell out.....Shakey's was a franchise and they just couldn't make it here. I remember seeing one or two in Waco, Texas in the late 70's early 80's.... is Bonapartes any kin to Pull-A-Part???

You are correct about Dennis and Dunkin. Then Winchells.

Thread Information