Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

Default How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

I posted this question on twitter, but thought this community might have some different ideas to offer:

How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City? #thinkbig

p.s. - the money is real, just a matter of deciding where best to spend it.

Default Re: How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

I would give it back to the people who it was taken from. It's not nearly as efficient as simply not taking it from them in the first place, but there's nothing that can be done about that now. Since that probably isn't going to happen, I would pay down the debt because that is the greatest threat to the quality of life in OKC or anywhere else.

Default Re: How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

I would use it to expand the modern street car system to something other than an initial 6 mile starter system. I would connect Capitol Hill, OCU (using Classen Dr.), State Capitol, and WRWA via a downtown hub.

Quote Originally Posted by mOKCie View Post
    I would give it back to the people who it was taken from.
    Why the assumption that it was taken from them unwillingly?

mOKCie--what debt are you talking about? We don't have a municipal debt. And I know you wouldn't be suggesting that the objective of a community quality of life initiative should be to pay down the federal debt, I know that nobody would ever be that dense.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

I would use the money to issue out loans to stimulate housing projects downtown, very similar to what Tulsa has done with the Vision 2025 Housing Fund. The fact of the matter is that we are not doing very well in terms of infill projects to compliment the big ones that we have going on right now, and all of our developers seem extremely intent on sitting on the sidelines and watching the big projects take place for the next few years. That needs to change. Tulsa got a LOT of infill projects done at the same time as the recession, and is keeping the momentum moving forward, by issuing out several loans out of a $10 mil pot. This would be a $25 mil pot, so it could have greater impact. The criteria would just be that no project can get more than 50% of its financing out of this, the loans must be paid back within 8 years, and the projects must be urban.

Imagine if we had something like this in place while the Cotton Exchange and Flatiron projects were still moving forward. Those projects would be near completion right now. Maybe we could also give OCU a loan to keep their downtown law school moving forward. The simple fact of the matter is that we need to find creative ways to invest in ourselves during this recession in order to keep downtown development, and the dream of a vibrant mixed-use environment, alive and well and not sidelined due to current economic constraints. Because we have MAPS 3 and all of those projects, I do not see where there is a certain project in particular that it would be nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I would use it to expand the modern street car system to something other than an initial 6 mile starter system. I would connect Capitol Hill, OCU (using Classen Dr.), State Capitol, and WRWA via a downtown hub.
    If we are going to WRWA, we might as well use something else besides a streetcar. We are talking 6-7 straight miles, possibly more if you use the grid system. Only way I'd put a streetcar on the route is if you went down Reno to Meridian and then Meridian down to the airport. You'd hit a lot of businesses and a lot of hotels. But that would cost an unrealistic amount of money and would take 30 minutes to get downtown from the airport. Some sort of a rail system that could go direct, and doesn't have a stop in between would be best. Heck, you might be able to tap on to the existing rail that goes down Newcastle Road.

7. Default Re: How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

I'd put in a top golf

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Why the assumption that it was taken from them unwillingly?
    Why the assumption it wasn't? Where do you think it came from? A donation would be far less likely than a federal grant. But, I digress. We can speculate or defer to the source of the thread.

Blair, where does it come from?

Blair, where does it come from?
    Voter approved sales tax. I promise to give more details later, but for now I am interested in hearing more ideas.

Btw, giving it back is a legitimate idea...

I'd rather see some beautification along our major corridors, I-40 through the center city, Broadway Ext. from I-44 to downtown, NW 23rd from Classen west to I-44. I-44 from SW 44th to Hefner Parkway. NW Expressway from Classen to Rockwell. The remaining money I'd like to see expand the streetcar system.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    mOKCie--what debt are you talking about? We don't have a municipal debt. And I know you wouldn't be suggesting that the objective of a community quality of life initiative should be to pay down the federal debt, I know that nobody would ever be that dense.
    I should have asked Blair for a clarification on the source of the $25 million instead of speculating myself. In the scenario the money is a federal grant, in whatever benevolent disguise it comes in, it should never have been borrowed/taxed in the first place and it would be better for the quality of life in this city, state, and country if it goes back from whence it came. In the scenario it is actually city money that originated in the city or it is a private gift, I posted too soon.

free admission to White Water Bay when the temp is above 90 degrees.

if that doesnt work, the money should be given to Devon Energy for the sole purpose of erecting a 200 foot tall cross atop their tower once its finished. That'd put us on the map!

I should have asked Blair for a clarification on the source of the $25 million instead of speculating myself. In the scenario the money is a federal grant, in whatever benevolent disguise it comes in, it should never have been borrowed/taxed in the first place and it would be better for the quality of life in this city, state, and country if it goes back from whence it came. In the scenario it is actually city money that originated in the city or it is a private gift, I posted too soon.
    Rather than allow this to become an exercise in bad riddle-making, I won't get into anymore details, but you have not necessarily replied too soon. That said, I hope people will participate in the exercise at whatever level of abstraction is necessary to alleviate their conscience. Another debate on taxes and the appropriate role of the federal government will ruin all the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bdhumphreys View Post
    Voter approved sales tax. I promise to give more details later, but for now I am interested in hearing more ideas.

Btw, giving it back is a legitimate idea...
    I would devote all of it to planning/starting a major rail hub and planning/acquiring all necessary routes. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. If we don't think big on this from the beginning, we are doomed to failure.

Make a MidTown or Automobile Alley a top notch restaurant/nightlife area. Develop restaurants with fun atmospheres and great food that turn into places for nightlife and socializing later in the night.

Buy coats for every schoolchild. That will prevent having to cancel school when it's too cold for kids to stand outside waiting for the bus b/c their parents don't/can't dress them appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by oakhollow View Post
    Make a MidTown or Automobile Alley a top notch restaurant/nightlife area. Develop restaurants with fun atmospheres and great food that turn into places for nightlife and socializing later in the night.
    That could be cool. Would have to be very careful to not put Bricktown out of business while you do it. Make it a stress reliever/secondary option to The Brick, but don't make it better than Bricktown unless you want to see Bricktown fall on it's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by oakhollow View Post
    development loans.

19. Default Re: How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

lottery tickets

Startup capital for best business venture proposals.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzytoad View Post
    lottery tickets

*Supports Oklahoma education.

Cool Re: How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

Finally, a $25 million, world-class gentleman's club in Bricktown.

I would use it to finish the I-40 corridor as soon as possible and re-do the I-40/I-44 bridges to allow for more lanes especially those that go under and south. Two lanes just isn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCNDN View Post
    Finally, a $25 million, world-class gentleman's club in Bricktown.

I would use it to finish the I-40 corridor as soon as possible and re-do the I-40/I-44 bridges to allow for more lanes especially those that go under and south. Two lanes just isn't enough.
    Best idea I have heard so far. The I-40/I-44 junction is terrible. No point having that new I-40 section if it bottlenecks at I-40/I-44.

SkyWest, I dont think a new area would take anything away from Bricktown. I graduated in May from OU and am originally from OKC and know that most kids straight out of college and a couple of years out never think about going out in Bricktown unless were going to a concert at Wormy Dog or Thirsty Thursday at the ballpark. The people you see out on Western are a lot different from those you'd see out in Bricktown and for the most part a lot younger.

I agree with the development loans.

But, since all of Oklahoma City is always wishing for some upscale retail, I guess it could always be used to help lure some stores that Oklahoma does not have like:

Neiman Marcus
    Nordstrom's
    Ikea
    etc....

Thread Information