Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitewater Facility

1. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Wait...how did you get your name on that line?

2. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I think Pete did it after there was a discussion in the thread Sid started about using real names.

3. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    My bad...and watch out if Little Rock puts one in, it'll be way better than ours.
    +1

Default Re: Whitewater Facility

IIRC, this was supposedly moved ahead of the streetcar on the timeline because "it will generate more economic development than the streetcar". I was pretty dumbfounded when I heard that in the ADG presentation, but since it does help us expand our Olympic training capabilities and is a relatively small piece of the MAPS pie I'm fine with it.

5. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    http://www.okctalk.com/current-event...s-okctalk.html

My bad...and watch out if Little Rock puts one in, it'll be way better than ours.
    Tulsa is adding a white water course to its gathering place park as well. I haven't seen the renderings yet but have no doubt it will be better than ours and will be competed first regardless of when construction starts here. I've also heard rumors that it will be the center piece of a development including the state's first Costco, Trader Joes, Norstrom, and Niemen Marcus...

Kansas City still has the tallest water slide now.

POV of World's Tallest water slide - YouTube

It looks like it was built in a mud pit though.

Your move OKC.......

8. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Tulsa is adding a white water course to its gathering place park as well. I haven't seen the renderings yet but have no doubt it will be better than ours and will be competed first regardless of when construction starts here. I've also heard rumors that it will be the center piece of a development including the state's first Costco, Trader Joes, Norstrom, and Niemen Marcus...
    I really lol'd at that one.

9. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I really lol'd at that one.
    Me too!

10. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    The one in Charlotte is very nice, but it is a total different environment than what will be in OKC. It is on the edge of the city (right off of the outside loop) and along a major river. It would be a similar environment if they decided to place this up in the Adventure District. I see a lot of benefits to both. Being in a more suburban/rural area gives you the natural isolation that can be more serene, but being in the center of the city has a lot of benefits as well. It won't be as forested or natural, but the urban feel will be distinct and cool in its own. Also, since this is nearly downtown, it will be a lot easier for visitors to access and have the ability to be even a bigger attraction than the one in Charlotte.
    Alright, thanks. What about from a technical point of view? Do we know if it will include all of the same types of course elements and features that Charlotte has? And finally, do we know what the facility will be called? I, too, am VERY excited about this project and will earn us some serious...creek cred with paddlers, I think.

It was designed by the same group, several years later, with more advanced tools. Stands to reason it will be a better facility. Charlotte's is still under tremendous debt load. Ours will be paid for. I think it will be a far more successful facility.

Just imagine the amount of traffic passing by on 35 and 40 that will be able to see this, and be amazed, and will want to make a scheduled trip to OKC just for this.

it's going to be awesome

13. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    It was designed by the same group, several years later, with more advanced tools. Stands to reason it will be a better facility. Charlotte's is still under tremendous debt load. Ours will be paid for. I think it will be a far more successful facility.
    Thanks, great to know that it is the same design group. I hope they include some good observation points along the course to be able to watch paddlers do their thing on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by ABryant View Post
    Kansas City still has the tallest water slide now.

POV of World's Tallest water slide - YouTube

It looks like it was built in a mud pit though.

Your move OKC.......
    That video is hilarious.

Just imagine the amount of traffic passing by on 35 and 40 that will be able to see this, and be amazed, and will want to make a scheduled trip to OKC just for this.

it's going to be awesome
    ...and isn't there possible "large hotel" looking to locate in the adjacent area ?

Here is an update on this project from May 22nd:

The solicitation of competitive construction bids for the MAPS 3 whitewater center
    is pending only the resolution of a Corps/FEMA approval. Staff anticipates formal
    approval will be received within the next 60 days.

Default Re: MAPS 3 Whitewater facility location

Approved by the council today!

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma City Council approved final plans for the public whitewater facility being built as part of MAPS 3 Tuesday. Once complete, the facility will offer rafting, kayaking and canoeing for all skill levels.
    Construction on the whitewater facility is expected to begin this fall and will take approximately 15 months to complete. It will be built on the north side of the Oklahoma River at the east end of the Boathouse District.

"The 11-acre whitewater facility will be a world-class aquatic adventure venue designed for family fun, community health and wellness, major events and training for Olympic Hopefuls," said Mike Knopp, executive director for the Boathouse Foundation. "This facility will complement the world-class boathouses and RIVERSPORT Adventure attractions to create a one-of-a-kind urban outdoor experience. Where else can you walk from a thriving entertainment district and go on a whitewater rafting adventure at one of the premier venues of its kind in the world?"

The MAPS 3 budget for the whitewater facility is $33 million ($23.8 million is the construction budget). An additional $24 million in MAPS 3 funds are being invested in racecourse lighting, windscreens, starting systems and other racecourse improvements.

- Council Approves Plans For The MAPS 3 Whitewater Facility - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

*like*

19. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

It's about as close to river rafting as you're gonna get in Oklahoma, so I'm excited!

This will be the first true 'regional destination' draw that OKC will have. Especailly for 8 months out of the year.

21. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Make sure you don't read the comments on all the news sites about this project.

Holy crap, no kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Make sure you don't read the comments on all the news sites about this project.
    You tend to forget how many idiots read the news paper, etc... Thank god we have online versions to put that in focus

Where else can you walk from a thriving entertainment district and go on a whitewater rafting adventure at one of the premier venues of its kind in the world?
    Just curious, can you actually walk there from Bricktown? I mean, yes you can walk anywhere but is pedestrian infrastructure in place and open the whole way?

25. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Just curious, can you actually walk there from Bricktown? I mean, yes you can walk anywhere but is pedestrian infrastructure in place and open the whole way?
    If you follow the canal all the way down, yes. Actually, a quite pleasant trip.

Thread Information