Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitewater Facility

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Now picture mid to high-rise luxury residentials directly across the river where the railyard is. OKC dream.
    Looking at Pete's screenshot, I can actually see the plans for Stage Center fitting in perfectly here with 14 story hotel and 8 story housing. You could have the indoor waterpark on the ground levels of the hotel in lieu of a huge parking garage.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Would prefer such housing over by Robinson where the streetcar may actually extend to someday...
    Surely by the time OKC is ready for high rise residential, the streetcar will make the boat district... Right?!

Actually, I guess the only way would be via Boulevard. And that is pretty doubtful. So nevermind. Back to my dream.

Blog Entries

Hey I'm right there with you in that dream, just thinking ahead about the likely transit options...

Is that pictured hotel in a piece of land large enough for the Great Wolf Lodge type development?

Quote Originally Posted by amaesquire View Post
    Is that pictured hotel in a piece of land large enough for the Great Wolf Lodge type development?
    The land the proposed hotel is on is slightly longer east/west than the standard city block downtown (maybe an extra 20%), it is the same length north/south as the standard downtown block

Application for two building permits totalling $3.8 million for this project.

The official timeline calls for site work to commence in March and for the project to be complete in June 2015.

$16.6 million building permit application today for this project.

They should start moving on this very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    $16.6 million building permit application today for this project.

They should start moving on this very soon.
    Great ! I think this facility will be a game changer.

This is going to be so nicely visible from I-35.

Good news but I still wonder why this is slated ahead of the park or the streetcar. Sure the white water facility is small potatoes money-wise in comparison and can be done concurrently with other projects but just dont like that the park and streetcar are the last priority when they were probably the most popular of the MAPS projects.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Good news but I still wonder why this is slated ahead of the park or the streetcar. Sure the white water facility is small potatoes money-wise in comparison and can be done concurrently with other projects but just dont like that the park and streetcar are the last priority when they were probably the most popular of the MAPS projects.
    I think all of the land for the Whitewater facility was already acquired around the time this was proposed for the MAPS project in 2009. The park is being done in phases with the first phase to start next year. I believe the delay on this is due to aquiring properties and the Salvation Army not moving until August or later. Also, they are still figuring out what to do with the old Film Exchange building. They are still going through the process of obtaining the Santa Fe Train Station and construction on that and the new lines for phase one will start next year as well with the streetcar set to be up and running by 2016, I believe. These things HAVE to be done in phases, otherwise we would have a mountain of debt and pay it off with interest. I like how everything is being done in phases so we will see a little bit of everything started instead of one project completed and then people complain about something else not being done.

12. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    This is strictly a guess, but perhaps those in control are looking for a relatively quick product/win to promote before the real work goes into the more contentious areas that will potentially have cost overruns, property disputes (i.e. Film Exchange). I don't know of many people who are opposed to the great things going on in the boathouse district. This could give the MAPS some overwhelmingly positive press.

This facility could also be somewhat of a revenue generator, where a park generally is not.

Maybe they just want to get it going before Ed Shadid tries to stop it like he has every other maps project other than the sidewalks. Can't see how this slipped off his radar as being more useful then the streetcar or convention center he's protesting...

On a positive note, this is going to be awesome.

Perhaps because this is already an active facility for rowing sports, they are setting up to broaden their brand by competing to host "scheduled" national events or to be the premier U.S. Training facility for upcoming competitions like olympics. Just a guess, but I could see this being driven by the broader schedule for the whitewater community.

from what I've gathered from unscientific research from friends outside of my normal "pro-OKC" group (read: those who don't pay much attention to civics or care to vote), when they first found out about this they were VERY enthused, so to call this less popular than the park or streetcar is a big stretch.

This will be the crown jewel of MAPS3 (sorry streetcar people)

The timing may also be due to the summer Olympics.

It will take a year to get this facility built, which will allow it to be used before the next summer games in 2016 (Rio).

Not sure if the plan is to host the Olympic trials but remember the national governing body for Olympic canoeing and kayaking is now headquartered in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The timing may also be due to the summer Olympics.

It will take a year to get this facility built, which will allow it to be used before the next summer games in 2016 (Rio).

Not sure if the plan is to host the Olympic trials but remember the national governing body for Olympic canoeing and kayaking is now headquartered in OKC.
    It would be a great for OKC to host the Olympic Trials. I worked at the World Championship on the Ocoee River several years ago and it was a great event. Winning the trials would further validate the MAPS3 projects as being great quality of life enhancements for OKC residents AND places that continue to elevate the city's stature among its peers.

19. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

So how will this course compare to the one in Charlotte, say? (I know to some on this board it won't hold a candle, because it's in Charlotte of course!!) But just thought I'd ask since that's really the only other one I know what to compare ours to. And I know there are renderings, but if anyone has some inside scoop on what they hope is the finished product. I mean there are very few facilities like this in the country, so this will be a pretty big deal if it is well executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    So how will this course compare to the one in Charlotte, say? (I know to some on this board it won't hold a candle, because it's in Charlotte of course!!) But just thought I'd ask since that's really the only other one I know what to compare ours to. And I know there are renderings, but if anyone has some inside scoop on what they hope is the finished product. I mean there are very few facilities like this in the country, so this will be a pretty big deal if it is well executed.
    The setting simply cannot be as "nice" - meaning natural - as the NC facility. The Charlotte facility is adjacent to the Catawba River in a forest with rolling terrain. That being said, even though the mountain biking and hiking will be limited in the OKC facility, I think the whitewater course itself will be comparable and possibly better. We have a very unique opportunity to build what is normally an activity done in fairly remote areas in an urban setting. I can't think of anything else like it when you combine the whitewater with the rowing venue we will have. I am very excited about this project more than any other MAPS project except the streetcar.

21. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    The one in Charlotte is very nice, but it is a total different environment than what will be in OKC. It is on the edge of the city (right off of the outside loop) and along a major river. It would be a similar environment if they decided to place this up in the Adventure District. I see a lot of benefits to both. Being in a more suburban/rural area gives you the natural isolation that can be more serene, but being in the center of the city has a lot of benefits as well. It won't be as forested or natural, but the urban feel will be distinct and cool in its own. Also, since this is nearly downtown, it will be a lot easier for visitors to access and have the ability to be even a bigger attraction than the one in Charlotte.

I believe OKC's location alone will make it more a success than Charlotte's. Like was said, not as scenic, but I think that location in Charlotte has been a hinderance to it's success.

23. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    I believe OKC's location alone will make it more a success than Charlotte's. Like was said, not as scenic, but I think that location in Charlotte has been a hinderance to it's success.
    Nothing can be more successful here than in Charlotte. Come on, Brad.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    My bad...and watch out if Little Rock puts one in, it'll be way better than ours.

Thread Information