Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitewater Facility

Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Unless they rented some space here, there company contact info is in Lyons, Colorado

Ahhhh. Woulda been cool if they had had a lil miniature raft floating down the model!

Steve said on several of his chats that Great Wolf Lodge would be a great fit along the river but the one in Grapevine is 450,000 square feet with an outdoor pool. With the Whitewater rafting course going in north of the river and east of the boathouses, would there even be room for one of those? Maybe he was thinking somewhere along the river, but not necessarily next to boathouse row? I could definitely see a hotel fronting the whitewater rafting course with parking on the north (next to the new highway) but not something like GWL.

Found this nice piece:

Designing Big League Whitewater in Oklahoma City
    Posted by Joe Jacobi on Sat, Nov 02, 2013 @ 08:25 AM

"Big League" means different things to different people but here in Oklahoma City, the expression represents the transformative process and collaborative spirit that brings top-tier lifestyle amenities to the community. A few short years ago, not many people would have thought Oklahoma City would be home to one of the top teams in professional basketball, destination of a Marathon that hosts 27,000 runners while raising a million dollars to support the Oklahoma Memorial and of course become home to USA Canoe/Kayak and a World-class paddlesports and rowing venue.

When I started traveling to Oklahoma City four years ago, the public vote for MAPS 3, the continuation of the city's penny sales tax that would fund eight "quality of life" projects including a $60 million investment in the Oklahoma River and bring a whitewater venue to downtown, was just a few weeks away.

The community's enthusiasm and appetite for progress translated to a "yes" for MAPS 3 and a "Big League" opportunity for paddlesports.

The idea of constructing a whitewater river where one does not initially exist is certainly more common today compared to when I started racing in whitewater slalom in the early 1980's. Back then, the idea of paddling on an artificial channel in the U.S. seemed like a distant dream.

Bold vision and hard work led to the development of channels in North Carolina and Maryland but as I didn't spend time at those venues during design and construction, I never understood how these venues really came together. I would see pictures and hear reports in certain phases of construction but without being on the ground, I never gained true focus of the project's final outcome.

Different story here in Oklahoma City. Check out this short video to see the 1:12 scale model of the Oklahoma City whitewater course - you'll not only get a sense for the actual whitewater but the process driving this incredible project'

Read more here: Designing Big League Whitewater in Oklahoma City

5. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

This by far my favorite MAPS project. I can not wait to try it out! What a jewel for OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    This by far my favorite MAPS project. I can not wait to try it out! What a jewel for OKC.
    I am not sure what my favorite MAPS3 project would be. I'm thinking the convention center.

Ok, I was just kidding. Either the streetcar or this project. I will frequent this place!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I am not sure what my favorite MAPS3 project would be. I'm thinking the convention center.

Ok, I was just kidding. Either the streetcar or this project. I will frequent this place!!!!!
    Will you follow the speed limit on the course, plupan?

8. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Anybody catch The Amazing Race tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'll try, but I think that is up to the flow of the water man, not me

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I'll try, but I think that is up to the flow of the water man, not me
    Well, just in case. I'm going to let you go before I do so I don't get run over.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Anybody catch The Amazing Race tonight?
    Saw a minute of it.just happened to see the part with the whitewater course on it. Where is that?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Getting through faster is pretty much encouraged, there probably will be a group of olympic hopefuls that tries to do that most days of the year

13. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Saw a minute of it.just happened to see the part with the whitewater course on it. Where is that?
    The UAE outside of Abu Dhabi. Wadi Adventure

New (but poor quality) renderings for this project, which is scheduled to begin construction in March 2014:

15. Default Re: Whitewater Facility

This is easily my 2nd favorite MAPS 3 project.

What a great birthday gift!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    New (but poor quality) renderings for this project, which is scheduled to begin construction in March 2014:

I think originals those are copies of was in the agenda of either the Riverfront Redevelopment Authority or the Oklahoma River Subcommittee about three or four months ago

^

Those are from the project report for tomorrow's Riverfront Development Authority meeting.

Right but they look like they just scanned a black and white print out from some of the reports a couple months ago the company designing it submitted

That is still newer than anything previously posted.

This looks to be the final design, set for approval next week:

I think this facility will have a huge impact on our fair city. It will be a strong regional draw if not somewhat national.

This is a screen capture from the following video, that shows a conceptual hotel just north of the whitewater course.

Also, the video shows a scale model made by the company that is doing the design for this project.

s2o Design - Oklahoma City Whitewater Course on Vimeo

Now picture mid to high-rise luxury residentials directly across the river where the railyard is. OKC dream.

Blog Entries

Would prefer such housing over by Robinson where the streetcar may actually extend to someday...

Thread Information