Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Aloft Hotel

Default Re: Aloft Hotel Coming to OKC!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Last I heard, they wanted to move it in Uptown on NW 23rd (near Big Truck, Market C, 23rd Street Body Piercing, etc.) but the neighbors were fighting for it to be moved elsewhere. It's one of those NIMBY issues. There is an old thread on it somewhere.
    Metro, that area was never considered for the new facility...

The facility will be at Virginia and Linwood, on the southeast corner. The neighbor to the east fought the location b/c they were next to it when they were located in Bricktown. The City agreed to require every person to leave in a vehicle (taxi, private car, etc.), no walk-outs. I believe the taxi will be paid for if the person is lacking funds...

As for preservation of the Finley building, word on the street is that the family said "OK" to demolition, and that it was going to be structurally difficult to re-use for any other purpose than a clinic. The walls seemed to be all load-bearing (which I find odd, but possible). Saving the building would bring an interesting situation, are we preserving it to show the history of the African-American culture in OKC, or is it bad to preserve an element that shows the history of a segregated community? Yes, it was a free/cheap clinic for African-Americans, but wasn't it there because they weren't given service elsewhere? Save it as a monument to segregation, or as a monument to someone who helped the less fortunate? It's an interesting discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    The facility will be at Virginia and Linwood, on the southeast corner. The neighbor to the east fought the location b/c they were next to it when they were located in Bricktown. The City agreed to require every person to leave in a vehicle (taxi, private car, etc.), no walk-outs. I believe the taxi will be paid for if the person is lacking funds...
    They should be dropped off where they got picked up, and preferably at the same time of day. If you got picked up for being drunk at 2AM you should be dropped off at 2AM where they picked you up. Hopefully you won’t get hit by a drunk driver.

They will no doubt have the best view of any downtown hotel...

4. Default Re: Aloft Hotel Coming to OKC!

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    They will no doubt have the best view of any downtown hotel...
    No question!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Grrr. [fangs]

Virginia Ave is a nice tree-lined blvd, but that area is going to go way downhill once it becomes homeless central when all the poor services are relocated there. Probably a higher-use for that part of town anyway.
    Is there something proposed that I'm not aware of, Spartan? I doubt that many of the people in the drunk facility are homeless or even necessarily poor. They just use really poor judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Is there something proposed that I'm not aware of, Spartan? I doubt that many of the people in the drunk facility are homeless or even necessarily poor. They just use really poor judgement.
    Is it where they take people who get arrested for DUI?

Most of the people I've seen getting picked up there appear to be picked up by people who own a car. I've seen BMWs doing the picking up as often as not. Sunday morning, when my dog and I take a walk to Starbucks is a busy time there. I'm guessing they're there for public intoxication or DUI, but don't really know.

It sounds like they will at least be doing site preparation between now and when the "inebriate alternative" is able to be demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Is it where they take people who get arrested for DUI?
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's only for those drunk in public. If you're creating a disturbance or have committed an obvious crime, you're going to jail. A DUI suspect would never go to the inebriate alternative center.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's only for those drunk in public. If you're creating a disturbance or have committed an obvious crime, you're going to jail. A DUI suspect would never go to the inebriate alternative center.
    After you have been processed by the police, and you are still drunk, where do they take you?

Metro, that area was never considered for the new facility...

As for preservation of the Finley building, word on the street is that the family said "OK" to demolition, and that it was going to be structurally difficult to re-use for any other purpose than a clinic. The walls seemed to be all load-bearing (which I find odd, but possible). Saving the building would bring an interesting situation, are we preserving it to show the history of the African-American culture in OKC, or is it bad to preserve an element that shows the history of a segregated community? Yes, it was a free/cheap clinic for African-Americans, but wasn't it there because they weren't given service elsewhere? Save it as a monument to segregation, or as a monument to someone who helped the less fortunate? It's an interesting discussion.
    Yes, it was considered. There are a few old articles talking about it. If I get time I'll dig them up. If the new site searched as good as the old site, I could find it like that, but having trouble learning how to find things with search on the new version of this site.

Jail.

Jail.
    So even if you are drunk and vomiting all over yourself they still just put you in a jail cell with non-drunks?

Another question - who owns and runs the detox center? I just assumed it owned and run by the City but then I found this story.

City detox center refuses to give records to media
    By Nolan Clay
    The operator of Oklahoma City 's detox center refused Tuesday to release the center's detainee log, saying publicity would be unfair to those held there.
    The Oklahoman asked OKC Metro Alliance Inc. for the log after Oklahoma Labor Commissioner Lloyd Fields was taken to the detox center. The private nonprofit corporation operates the center with public funds.

"If our records were made public, a person deta...

Read more: http://newsok.com/article/3212134/12...#ixzz0x44vx1uG

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    WestTown

Yes, it was considered. There are a few old articles talking about it. If I get time I'll dig them up. If the new site searched as good as the old site, I could find it like that, but having trouble learning how to find things with search on the new version of this site.
    You can use a search engine, but tell it to only consider results from a particular domain. For example, on Google:
    Code:
    "inebriate alternative" site:okctalk.com
    turns this up:
    Neighbors oppose proposed OKC drunk tank

Quote Originally Posted by Eep View Post
    You can use a search engine, but tell it to only consider results from a particular domain. For example, on Google:
    Code:
    "inebriate alternative" site:okctalk.com
    turns this up:
    Neighbors oppose proposed OKC drunk tank
    That is awesome! Thanks for the tip.

Tulsa looks cool

It's nice, but rather boring for the Aloft brand as a whole. OKC's will be more modern.

18. Default Re: Aloft Hotel Coming to OKC!

I'm with Metro on this one.

I wish we could get a NYLO or W. NYLO's are cheap to build and would be on par cost wise with the boring STUCCO crap that gets built everywhere. I stay at the one in Frisco, TX when I go to Dallas.

www.nylohotels.com

It's nice, but rather boring for the Aloft brand as a whole. OKC's will be more modern.
    That is the standard one they put in their suburban/airport locations. The ones in downtown OKC and Tulsa will be more contemporary. Of course the one in OKC will be new construction while the one in Tulsa is a remodel of the 'mid-century modern' City Hall building.

Yeah, keep in mind that the first Tulsa location is out on 71st and 169. This is in Deep Deuce.

So glad that they aren't putting this out on Memorial Rd..

Any news about this project?

They can't proceed until the Inebriate Alternative is moved. I don't know what the timeline for the move is, or how far they've come on the building renovation for it.

That is what I was thinking, but come on. How difficult is it to move the drunk tank errrrrr "Inebriate Alternative Center"? There are plenty of vacant warehouse buildings that we can place people to sober up for the night.

25. Default Re: Aloft Hotel Coming to OKC!

Don't be so sure about waiting for detox - that building is where the parking is slated. They can probably start before that deal is done (they've secured an agreement to acquire the detox when it's new location is opened)

Thread Information