Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 123456752 ... LastLast

Thread: Aloft Hotel

Default Re: Aloft Hotel Coming to OKC!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    This will happen. Anybody that knows Jim Thompson knows that whatever the guy sets his mind to happens. Super nice guy and is a great architect by the way. Jim is no spring chicken but you wouldn't know it by his work pace, attitude, etc. As a young man he designed and built the first high-rise on Northwest Expressway years ago with the old "Executive Terrace" building. He nursed it along for years and years. It was quite the "thing" at the time with balconies for every office and a snack bar in the lobby, it was pretty special. He tore his baby down to build the Hilton Garden Inn next to his Holiday Inn Express. BTW, Jim is also a novelist and a damn good one at that! He never had the literary succerss as the "other" Jim Thompson, but he's actually very good. I'm glad to see him bring the ALOFT brand to OKC. I can't help but wish nothing but the best of luck to Jim in his latest endeavour.
    Sounds like a reputable man. Glad he has a track record. My only question to him would be why he designed those two hotels on the old Executive Terrace building side by side the way he did, it's very odd. Would have made more sense to build a midrise with the combined level of floors of the two different hotels. Would have been nicer for OKC at least.

Blog Entries

Considering the U.S. economy as a whole, the attractions and building prospects for Oklahoma City looks good!

Many of these hotel firms are looks at what the Marriott is doing in OKC and they want to be apart of this up and coming city. There is room for diversity. This is a good move for OKC!

Would be nice if they had a roof-top (or at least upper level) bar, as it could be a great gathering place with a fantastic view of downtown.

At least OKC's Aloft hotel is going to be built downtown. Tulsa's was built at 71st and Hwy 169. . . a long ways from downtown

I'm not gonna grip.... but I did always like the Finley Building.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Why would it not be legit?
    Have you been welcomed to Oklahoma City yet?

Quote Originally Posted by OU Adonis View Post
    I didn't realize how tight the Hotel space was downtown. Thats great news. Hopefully we will see some more development in that regard.
    OKC has actually lost out on an amazing amount of big deals because of the dearth of hotels available downtown. It's almost become synonymous with OKC in the convention industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Would be nice if they had a roof-top (or at least upper level) bar, as it could be a great gathering place with a fantastic view of downtown.
    Absolutely

That hotel will have awesome views on all four sides.

Projected opening date is ???

11. Default Re: Aloft Hotel Coming to OKC!

This Aloft and the Maywood Lofts just on the northwest side of the street should compliment each other nicely.

I am super excited about this. NE 2nd, when that huge grass lot on the northside is developed, should turn out to be a great street for the Deep Deuce, Maywood Area. I love how this development is right on the entrance into DD/MP and Btown.

12. Default Re: Aloft Hotel Coming to OKC!

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Before I jump around all crazy like in excitement, is this legit?
    I would say so. This guy gets it done. And I'm impressed that even in the restaurant-heavy Memorial corridor, he put a full-service restaurant in a Courtyard by Marriott! The downtown Courtyard doesn't even have one. I kind of scoffed at the idea at first, but he's actually got live music at Avanti--this week he's advertising Edgar Cruz.

I'm sure the Sandridge apologists will cry fowl that no one is fighting the demolition of the Finley Bldg, but I'll just remind them that this is taking a somewhat historic but dilapidated building and replacing it with something extremely urban. That's the difference.

I didn't realize how tight the Hotel space was downtown. Thats great news.
    Yeah, I'll get calls for reservations and tell people we're sold out and they (especially the Texans) are always like "what in the world is going on in OKC!?" I tell them it's just business as usual. Suck it, Texas.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

I'm not aware of any reason why the Finley Bldg is important other than its name. It's facade certainly does not fit in a style of historic architecture. I'm pretty sure it's post war.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'm not aware of any reason why the Finley Bldg is important other than its name. It's facade certainly does not fit in a style of historic architecture. I'm pretty sure it's post war.
    It was built in the 1950s, but I don't care if it was built in the 1850s as long as it is being replaced with something more structurally significant. This is what the Sandridge apologists don't seem to understand.

15. Default Re: Aloft Hotel Coming to OKC!

Well the fact that it was G.E. Finley's office/hospital during segregation.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Blog Entries

Is there a magical number of total rooms in the OKC area that OKC can have before it becomes oversaturated?
    I wouldn't say that there is a magical number for oversaturation.

We are not quite a Tier II Convention City; therefore, the preliminary feasibility marketing does indicate that OKC could use a lot more hotel rooms which would allow us to host a variety of larger conventions.

I wouldn't think that this would be a concern right now.

We have been passed over because of the lack of adequate hotels rooms.

As I said in the other thread, great news. If I were a Deep Deuce resident, I would like it if a small grocery/amenity shop opened up on the ground floor of this. Similar to what you see in New York City, where they have a small section of "necessity food" (eggs, milk, bread, fruit, veggies, etc.) and a small amenities section (TP, toothpaste, medicine, etc.) Wouldn't have to be big, but I think would be nice so you could walk to the store for what you need, and maybe just have to drive to a wal-mart once a week or once every two-weeks for your variety type items. Just a thought.

Not to mention, hotel traffic sometimes needs to go to the store for basic stuff too, besides the overpriced hotel "store".

I think this looks like an awesome project. Nothing like having choices for those romantic downtown getaway weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Anyone notice a trend.

At a glance
    New Century Properties:

• Hilton Garden Inn, Northwest Expressway and May Avenue (set to open in August).

• 809 Sports Grill, Northwest Expressway and May Avenue (set to open in August).

• Avanti Bar & Grill, Memorial Road and May Avenue (opened 2009).

• Courtyard Marriott Hotel, Memorial Road and May Avenue (opened 2008).

• La Quinta Inn and Suites Quail Springs, Memorial Road and May Avenue (opened 2004).

• Holiday Inn Express, Northwest Expressway and May Avenue (opened 1999).

Read more: $18 million Aloft hotel planned for Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce | NewsOK.com
    ...and this new hotel is going to be in Maywood Park
    We have told my wife that May Avenue is the center of the known universe.

Blog Entries

Maywood is not on May Avenue.

But it has May in the name.

Come to think of it I'm very surprised that there isn't a Maywood neighborhood. May goes through (every)wood neighborhood imaginable..Linwood, Crestwood, Gatewood, etc. There are also hoods named after May..like Mayfair.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    As I said in the other thread, great news. If I were a Deep Deuce resident, I would like it if a small grocery/amenity shop opened up on the ground floor of this. Similar to what you see in New York City, where they have a small section of "necessity food" (eggs, milk, bread, fruit, veggies, etc.) and a small amenities section (TP, toothpaste, medicine, etc.) Wouldn't have to be big, but I think would be nice so you could walk to the store for what you need, and maybe just have to drive to a wal-mart once a week or once every two-weeks for your variety type items. Just a thought.

Not to mention, hotel traffic sometimes needs to go to the store for basic stuff too, besides the overpriced hotel "store".
    You mean like "The Store" in Bricktown which is also within walking distance from Deep Deuce apartments?

Never heard of it? Shows how much I am in downtown anymore.

This is wonderful news! I really like the look of the rendering. Very cool for that part of town. Undoubtedly this will make the unsold Maywood Park units more attractive, as there will be walkable dining and mixed use in the area and more density. Smart design!

Thread Information