Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 113 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156106 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Downtown Airpark

Humphreys people may be in for lunch today I will mention that for you..

I know the soccer specific stadiums built for the MLS today also double as 20,000 seat (including field seating) outdoor concert venues. I have been to concerts in Chicago and Frisco's stadium and thimk this is a great idea.

That would probably have to be a MAPS 4 project. It is an interesting idea, and I like the idea of it being on the south side of the river. Personally, I would probably never go to an MLS event, but if we've got enough people to support it, I say go for it. As noted, it would be a great concert venue too and could be used for high school football tournaments and a variety of other events.

Interesting and I like it too!

A few weeks ago, I was also thinking along these same lines although not thinking of a soccer stadium (great idea). I was thinking that Humphries should look into making this development a type of Latino Village. Having a market, town square type of development, with street vendors, shops, music, cinema, and villas, while also incorporating the boardwalk. A place where if you were to go here you may think you were in a resort village in Latin America.

I am sure that someone could come up with a picture of this type of development seen in other Latino communities around the world.

Did a little research and bringing MLS to OKC in the near future is a loooong shot. Apparently Edmond/UCO tried to lure MLS a few years ago and was passed over for league expansion. The Edmond people were confident MLS would succeed here. I know Edmond is a hotbed, but soccer is popular with kids and adults all over the metro. I live near South Lakes Park and the soccer club there is very active. A central location for a stadium would be best IMO. Not saying it can't happen, but it will probably be 10+ years down the road before anything might happen.

The Houston Dynamo was an expansion team created in 2005. They have been playing at U of Houston but just this month announced plans for a new stadium downtown seating 22K. Linky-dink: http://www.houstondynamo.com/stadium

Edmond alone is not going to be able to lure an MLS team. We still have a dynamic central city in this metro that is still dominant over the suburbs. Furthermore, Tulsa actually could have gotten an MLS team during the last decade if it wanted. It's just that it was really popular in the early 2000s, then support for it in Tulsa fizzled away when the NBA came to OKC and the economy tanked.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Edmond alone is not going to be able to lure an MLS team. We still have a dynamic central city in this metro that is still dominant over the suburbs. Furthermore, Tulsa actually could have gotten an MLS team during the last decade if it wanted. It's just that it was really popular in the early 2000s, then support for it in Tulsa fizzled away when the NBA came to OKC and the economy tanked.
    You do know that Tulsa used to have a major league soccer team, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    You do know that Tulsa used to have a major league soccer team, right?
    no they actually didn't ... the MLS has never had a team in tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    no they actually didn't ... the MLS has never had a team in tulsa
    Yes they did, the Roughnecks. The NASL was the MLS of its time.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Yes they did, the Roughnecks. The NASL was the MLS of its time.
    So I guess the xfl is the NFL. Or the aba was the NBA. There has NEVER been a MLS team in tulsa

Actually 4 ABA teams joined 1977 the NBA. New Jersey, San Antonio, Denver, cannot remember the 4th one. Nice one Boulder we get your point..

Blog Entries

So I guess the xfl is the NFL. Or the aba was the NBA. There has NEVER been a MLS team in tulsa
    The Roughnecks were in the highest level of pro soccer at the time. Your argument is pointless and kind of petty.

Ummm...... Isn't this thread about development at the Downtown Airpark, not a has been soccer team that used to be in Tulsa?

Quote Originally Posted by Reno and Walker View Post
    Actually 4 ABA teams joined 1977 the NBA. New Jersey, San Antonio, Denver, cannot remember the 4th one. Nice one Boulder we get your point..
    the pacers were the 4th team

Thank You, you knew that and did not have to look it up..

Silly me, I thought it was the Tropics.

When is this going to get started... ready to ride that ferris wheel...

Default The Waterfront

Another dead project by The Humphreys Co?

Default Re: The Waterfront

I believe he said in an article with the DOK that it is on hold. I think they were in a fight with the city over the environmental assessment costs for that site.

Right now, I think they are focusing all their energy on Carlton Landing, a neat looking project at Lake Eufaula. I also think I read an article within the past year where they said they would like to wait and see what kind of development happens around the Central Park before proceeding on the Waterfront. So, it seems like it could be awhile.

Yea, thats how it goes, planned > proposed > on hold > dead, lol.

The economy is improving, and there are many similar projects across the US that are moving forward, also if the economy was that bad, why are they progressing with the Carlton Landing development?

Personally, I would rather see them restart The Flatiron project, before The Waterfront.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Personally, I would rather see them restart The Flatiron project, before The Waterfront.
    This

I hope it's still at least on track from a planning standpoint. The development of the city core is going to be amazing once things get chugging along again economically. Also, the politics board is a few more down.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Yea, thats how it goes, planned > proposed > on hold > dead, lol.

The economy is improving, and there are many similar projects across the US that are moving forward, also if the economy was that bad, why are they progressing with the Carlton Landing development?

You probably will see Flatiron before Waterfront.

It seems like a solid project if ever done but I agree I would prefer The Flatiron project done before this one and if what mcca quoted is correct then I certainly think The Flatiron will be done before (way before) The Waterfront.

Thread Information