Widgets Magazine
Page 55 of 113 FirstFirst ... 55051525354555657585960105 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2821

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    It would be interesting to see what percentage of students at John Rex actually live in the Oklahoma City School District.
    All of them, the second tier for admissions requires residency in OCPS and as far as I know they've never made it out of that tier for admissions.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    All of them, the second tier for admissions requires residency in OCPS and as far as I know they've never made it out of that tier for admissions.
    That's what I had heard/thought, but I stopped by John Rex a few weeks ago and was told the opposite. I was told that they fill the school from lottery spots because the boundaries don't include enough residents. Specifically, we talked about how that was changing with more people moving downtown... I'll try to double check that information.

Right, but those lottery spots are still within OCPS boundaries. We were in tier 3 before my wife took a new job and (downtown employee but lives outside OCPS, tier 2 is downtown employee but lives inside OCPS) and were on the list for pre-K for our daughter and we were told that they didn't even get halfway through the tier 2 list before enrollment was full.

4. Default Re: Wheeler District

^^^^^^
    Correct. Rex students are all OCPS students, most of whom live downtown or near downtown, and by near downtown I mean that I know a number of parents whose kids go there, all of whom live in places like Classen Ten Penn, Gatewood, Mesta Park, and Heritage Hills. Eventually - as more families live in downtown proper - it will even be difficult for those nearby families to gain entrance.

5. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    That's what I had heard/thought, but I stopped by John Rex a few weeks ago and was told the opposite. I was told that they fill the school from lottery spots because the boundaries don't include enough residents. Specifically, we talked about how that was changing with more people moving downtown... I'll try to double check that information.
    The lottery spots are still all OCPS students and it will surely stay that way as more families move into the actual Rex boundaries, eliminating the need for the weighted lottery.

Could Capitol Hill change its curriculum to become Bilingual? That's something OKC desperately needs, but I imagine Capitol Hill won't do that and it will have to take place in a charter school.

If Cap. Hill could be transformed into a bilingual school, then by all means, let's go that direction.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5514114

Public investment in revitalizing downtown is poised to move south of the Oklahoma River, bringing with it the promise of a forward-thinking take on urban living.

The Oklahoma City Council agreed Tuesday that a committee should review a request for tax increment financing to help with development of the Wheeler District.
    http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/5...7001#gsc.tab=0

8. Default Re: Wheeler District

How much was requested?

This would all be self-funded, meaning the increase in sales tax by developing the area will go right back to the developers.

So, the amount would be determined by the increase in sales tax over the life of the TIF, which would likely be 25 years.

This is not a request to receive an allocation from an existing TIF, but rather the first step in creating an entirely new TIF.

Blair told me the estimated amount and it's sizable; mainly meant to put in streets and some common elements. The streets then would be donated back to the City.

BTW, even though I have been critical of how the City has used TIF in the past, I think this -- like First National -- is a very good application of that tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This would all be self-funded, meaning the increase in sales tax by developing the area will go right back to the developers.

So, the amount would be determined by the increase in sales tax over the life of the TIF, which would likely be 25 years.

This is not a request to receive an allocation from an existing TIF, but rather the first step in creating an entirely new TIF.

Blair told me the estimated amount and it's sizable; mainly meant to put in streets and some common elements. The streets then would be donated back to the City.

BTW, even though I have been critical of how the City has used TIF in the past, I think this -- like First National -- is a very good application of that tool.
    By donating the streets back to the city...the city becomes responsible for the maintenance and repair.. If they stayed private, the neighborhood association would be responsible. However, if public, they cannot control access (ie...gated)

^

Right, but there is a sizable expense in putting them in, of course.

^

Right, but there is a sizable expense in putting them in, of course.
    I agree but also a sizable profit to be made off the lots when you sell them. Not that it is a bad thing. I have no issue with capitalism when it leads to good development like Wheeler.

Wheeler one step closer to TIF

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record August 16, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – The effort to create a new tax increment finance district to support development in the Wheeler District near downtown is unusual, Councilman Ed Shadid said.

Wheeler backers sidestepped the Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City and President Cathy O’Connor, he said. But Blair Humphreys’ development got City Council members Tuesday to take another step toward incentivizing housing, offices, retail and a Ferris wheel on 150 acres between SW 20th Street and the Oklahoma River.

“Traditionally, it’s been the city that’s drawn up targeted areas and presenting them to council with some general direction about what’s needed as part of a larger plan,” Shadid said. “And whether it’s developers who are working with the Alliance, it’s still centrally driven.

“In this case, it didn’t come from the Alliance. You had Humphreys start a campaign, drawing consultants from out of state and holding public meetings. And when they didn’t get anywhere with the Alliance for Economic Development, they talked to the council (members) individually,” he said.

The City Council unanimously agreed to authorize Mayor Mick Cornett to appoint a review committee to research appropriateness of a Wheeler TIF district and make a recommendation for the council’s action. Cornett was absent from the meeting Tuesday, as were council members Pete White, David Greenwell and Meg Salyer. The remaining five made up a quorum for voting.

Oklahoma state law allows municipalities to access funds for economic development by defining a region and locking property values at a base level over several years while setting aside ad valorem tax revenue as it increases over that base. The additional revenue is then funneled into projects within the district, making the surrounding area more attractive for additional development.

O’Connor said several areas in Oklahoma City’s 620 square miles have the potential to be redeveloped as Wheeler-like districts worthy of TIF treatment, and council members have said they would like to see some in their wards outside the city’s core. White has suggested SW 25th Street near Capitol Hill, for example, and Greenwell has mentioned SE 44th Street west of Del City.

“Theoretically, there are a lot of areas that have the characteristics that could benefit and qualify for a TIF under the Local Redevelopment Act,” she said. “They need economic development; they have blight; they’re in a state-designated enterprise zone. But we aren’t actively looking at anyplace else right now.”

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    “In this case, it didn’t come from the Alliance. You had Humphreys start a campaign, drawing consultants from out of state and holding public meetings. And when they didn’t get anywhere with the Alliance for Economic Development, they talked to the council (members) individually,” he said.
    I'm glad this came out.

Basically, the Wheeler group had to go around the Alliance.

Provides more insight on how this program works in OKC and why I keep calling them out.

15. Default Re: Wheeler District

Aren't the streets in a development always the responsibility of the developer? If Blair gets a sizable amount of money to do what any other developer is expected to do out of his own pocket, what would stop PB Odom to ask for the same deal when he develops the next section of Rivendell?

16. Default Re: Wheeler District

I've also been told that at least some of the proposed streets are not up to city code and the city would not accept them until they are brought up to code. This development as planned is very cool, but I have a hard time understanding why Blair should not be expected to do what any other developer in the city is required to do.

They are doing much more than just streets. All types of public areas, etc.

And the point of TIF is to encourage development in blighted areas, which this most certainly is.

18. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I've also been told that at least some of the proposed streets are not up to city code and the city would not accept them until they are brought up to code. This development as planned is very cool, but I have a hard time understanding why Blair should not be expected to do what any other developer in the city is required to do.
    This is mostly related to width as they are trying to build to a more pedestrian scale and make the neighborhood more walkable.

As we've become more auto-dependent traffic engineers have increased minimum street widths to make roadways faster and still safer/more convenient for CARS, with little or no consideration given to pedestrian convenience or safety. Wheeler is trying to reverse that trend, at least for this neighborhood. So the tug-of-war you are seeing is between walkability and speed/capacity obsession.

They are also challenging some code requirements such as minimum square footage for single family dwellings.

I went here yesterday as I was driving to see my parents at around 1pm and it was really cool!

People were picknicking, playing frisbee/throwing a football around, people were taking their pictures at the OKC sculpture, people were walking their dogs, people were riding their bikes, etc. They even had a ping-ping table set up in the pavilion!

It's awesome to see this space utilized as pretty much a community gathering place. Jazzy-esque music was playing from the speakers and the whole place had a really relaxed vibe to it. I didn't ride the wheel because I was pressed for time, but I did ask an employee how they've done so far and she said they've sold over 25,000 tickets so far in the 2 1/2 months they've been open. So it sounds like they've done pretty well!

I'm really excited to see how this evolves as the residential componets get developed. This place seemed to be rocking even though it was literally out by itself in an empty field.

I think this is going to be huge.

^^^^^

Very cool to hear! We were up on the patio at the O Bar last night having drinks and were watching all the cool light patterns on the wheel. Can't wait to ride it!

Jazzy-esque music was playing from the speakers and the whole place had a really relaxed vibe to it.
    I heard they had an awesome A/V company do that install.

22. Default Re: Wheeler District

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	13078

Nice pic Will !

Wheeler Ferris Wheel Opening Saturday Mornings

The Wheeler Ferris Wheel is excited to announce updated hours for this fall, which will feature an early opening time of 8:00am on Saturday mornings. The Wheeler Riverfront Plaza, which offers a direct connection to the Oklahoma River Trails, is perfectly positioned to offer amenities to cyclists or runners using the trails. The Snack Shack offers bottled water and healthy snack options, and the plaza features plenty of parking to serve those who would like to start their trail adventure from the Ferris Wheel. Whether you’re headed out for a run on Saturday morning or part of a larger organization hosting an event, the Wheeler Riverfront Plaza is a public space that is readily available to be used.

“There are several rides that leave from Downtown on Saturday mornings” says Chad Hodges, Team Director for DNA Racing. “With the Ferris Wheel extending it's hours and the easy river trail access it will provide a great mid-ride stop to refill water bottles, sit down for a quick snack, or even take a Ferris Wheel ride to check out the amazing view of the OKC skyline. The Wheeler District is already host of the Wheeler Criterium and this is another great example of their commitment to help grow and improve Oklahoma City cycling.”

Wheeler Ferris Wheel Updated Hours:
    Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm-9:00pm
    Friday: 11:00am-10:00pm
    Saturday: 8:00am-10:00pm
    Closed on Sundays
    (October 1st, 2016- November 26th, 2016)

Wheeler District is committed to walkability and bikeability, making trails and alternative transportation a part of the everyday experience. The Wheeler Ferris Wheel will kick off the new season of hours on Saturday October 1st, hosting the Spero Project’s “Ride For Refuge” event in the Wheeler Riverfront Plaza.

Spent some time today at the wheel. I wish the signage was better and the road better but otherwise awesome! I have pictures I would post but since this site doesn't work well with Android mobile oh well...

Thread Information