Widgets Magazine
Page 51 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556101 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2821

Thread: Wheeler District

1. Default Re: Wheeler District

I was at Wheeler for a little bit during the raising of the wheel. The wind was whipping pretty good. I wouldn't have wanted to picnic there - at least until the wind wall and associated improvements were up - but wouldn't have thought twice about going up on the wheel.

2. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Yes, but those suggesting it did not mention the wind wall.

Multiple people are participating in this thread, and they are saying different things.
    While I understand that, your exact meaning was unclear from your post. That's why TexanOkie responded the way he did, too.

Default Re: Wheeler District

One thing about Ferris Wheels, since they're basically just a steel skeleton, there's not much for the wind to catch on. It's not like a billboard or anything that has a huge flat surface to catch the wind. A Ferris Wheel is mostly empty space that the wind could go right through with no problems.

The lighting is going to look great from I40. Especially since it will be reflected on the river as well.

Hugh Meade posted a pic of the "OKC" sculpture. almost finished still needs paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13177982_10208156421141423_2572329817117376073_n.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	12579  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13177982_10208156421141423_2572329817117376073_n.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	12579

Hugh Meade posted a pic of the "OKC" sculpture. almost finished still needs paint.
    Excited because this will be an impressive piece of all the parts that improve the overall cosmetic structure pieces in our city (the Arts) along with the nearly completed Land Run Monument. The recently completed Riversport Rapids (a potential tourist attraction).

These are the pieces along with the upgrades & improvements on the Bricktown Canal; eventually to be followed-up with the Central Park, Street Car, Santa Fe Intermodal Hub, Wellness Centers, AICCM, Convention Center & Convention Center Conference Hotel that will help mold OKC in the realm that solidifies us as a true 'BIG LEAGUE CITY.'

We hope the Santa Fe Intermodal Hub...may come to a stop if the state stops Amtrak...smh.

That OKC sculpture is awesome. Wish it was possible to be left as bare metal.

It's installed (from https://twitter.com/oddfab):

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    it's installed (from https://twitter.com/oddfab):

sweet! So much potential to become an Iconic piece with Devon in the background

Gondolas are on the Ferris wheel and they are getting close to opening:

13. Default Re: Wheeler District

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	168 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	12663

Views:	132 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	12664

Views:	142 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	12665

14. Default Re: Wheeler District

Views:	149 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	12666

Drove by this yesterday, looks kinda funny out there by itself. When are they supposed to start cutting streets?

I was in Branson over Memorial Day weekend and they just got a new Ferris Wheel that is 2-3 times bigger than Wheeler's. Not to be a downer, but perhaps this project isn't as unique as we once thought.

This project will take 15 years to complete...It's gonna take a while, but this is one of THE TOP projects in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    I was in Branson over Memorial Day weekend and they just got a new Ferris Wheel that is 2-3 times bigger than Wheeler's. Not to be a downer, but perhaps this project isn't as unique as we once thought.
    Ferris Wheels are "the thing" now. Santa Monica, and London's are the most recognized and now Orlando, Miami, and another US city(I forgot which one) is getting them in addition to Las Vegas--which I believe is currently the largest in the world--and that isn't including the international cities that are getting them or already have them.

If memory serves right, the UAE or Saudi Arabia will have the largest one in a few years.

The project is more than a Ferris wheel.

Blog Entries

Why is it that every project in this city gets downgraded unless it is the "biggest" in the city/state/county/world/universe? Is BIG the only criteria understand when judging quality, significance, etc.?

I don't know. Small minds? But, purely out of curiosity, I do wonder how big must it be (and how long it will take) before it starts to function as more than a place to build homes. I'm a huge fan of this project, but I wonder when the special really starts to differentiate it.

22. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Ferris Wheels are "the thing" now. Santa Monica, and London's are the most recognized and now Orlando, Miami, and another US city(I forgot which one) is getting them in addition to Las Vegas--which I believe is currently the largest in the world--and that isn't including the international cities that are getting them or already have them.

If memory serves right, the UAE or Saudi Arabia will have the largest one in a few years.
    Seattle put one on their waterfront a few years ago. Yeah, too cool for school Seattle did.

Would have been cool if they built a photo area somewhere where you could stand in a marked spot and it would line up the ferris wheel with downtown, and next to it the letters KC. Where the wheel would make the O, you would stand next to the KC, and downtown would be framed behind you.

Is this a pissing contest to see who has the bigger ferris wheel?

It is definitely unique in that it was the original ferris wheel from the Santa Monica Pier amusement park. Also... Why would anything going on in Branson be a valid comparison for developments in a large city?

The 'Pacific Wheel', which now resides in the Wheeler District, has the unique significance of being in lots of commercials and movies, including Iron Man.

A huge ferris wheel would more than likely not reside on a pier, so size doesn't really matter. I saw the Seattle wheel a couple of years ago, and it is on the water and not much larger than this one, IIRC.

Thread Information