Widgets Magazine
Page 49 of 113 FirstFirst ... 444546474849505152535499 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 2821

Thread: Wheeler District

1. Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Tiny houses/lots prob. mean 1000 sq. ft or smaller homes built on zero lot line tracts.
    No, I don't think that is correct. I think they are looking to connect with and embrace the tiny house movement, which is a lifestyle choice that encourages ultra-efficient living in houses that typically range from 100(!!!) to 400 sq ft. This would require some reworking of code requirements in OKC, at least as they apply to this PUD. Specifically OKC requires a minimum amount of square footage for detached housing. In some cities people bypass such requirements by building their tiny houses on a flatbed trailer instead of a foundation, but I think they hope to codify the smaller sizes so that they can be built traditionally.

You can read about the tiny house movement here: What Is The Tiny House Movement? ? The Tiny Life or here: Tiny House Movement: Affordable Housing Revolution or on Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_house_movement

Default Re: Wheeler District

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    No, I don't think that is correct. I think they are looking to connect with and embrace the tiny house movement, which is a lifestyle choice that encourages ultra-efficient living in houses that typically range from 100(!!!) to 400 sq ft. This would require some reworking of code requirements in OKC, at least as they apply to this PUD. Specifically OKC requires a minimum amount of square footage for detached housing. In some cities people bypass such requirements by building their tiny houses on a flatbed trailer instead of a foundation, but I think they hope to codify the smaller sizes so that they can be built traditionally.

You can read about the tiny house movement here: What Is The Tiny House Movement? ? The Tiny Life or here: Tiny House Movement: Affordable Housing Revolution or on Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_house_movement
    Exactly. Except it says "manufactured" tiny houses, which would seem to disallow custom tiny houses, negate local building codes for how a tiny house might be constructed but make whatever standards there are in the manufactured housing industry apply. The city doesn't inspect how a manufactured house is built, or else they would have to have inspectors at the factory, they only inspect how it is connected to utilities, and then only when/if it's allowed by zoning.

Many tiny houses are built to RV standards and specifications and are classified as such. This allows people to move their tiny house to a new location as needed. "Manufactured" is perhaps a way to avoid changing the zoning laws and acknowledges the potential need for them to be mobile.

Sounds like an incredibly expensive trailer park. Perhaps I'm not hip enough to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    Sounds like an incredibly expensive trailer park. Perhaps I'm not hip enough to understand.

Considering the location, more like living in a van down by the river.

But I get it. I'd like to have a tiny home on 100 acres in the Ozarks backed up to a national forest.

I am pretty stoked about this development and know the Humphreys will provide nothing but the best standards for the development. I look at this as being an OKC version of Carlton Landing. You really can't appreciate how amazing Carlton Landing is without spending some time there. It is extremely unique and I think they will provide that same uniqueness and feel to Wheeler District.

There's at least one place at CL with a detached small living space on the same property as a house that's very well done I thought of first when I read this part about tiny homes. However, it's not mobile or a manufactured home. It's more like a pool cabana built to a tiny home Carlton Landing aesthetic, and does have a pool between the two.

I agree though, great job in the works at Carlton Landing and I expect they will do a great job with Wheeler.

10. Default Re: Wheeler District

Normally tiny houses are not built so much to be mobile as to circumvent zoning laws pertaining to minimum square footage. I thought I was clear on that in my previous post. I doubt the ones constructed in Wheeler would be the typical tiny houses (often owner-built, on trailers), but instead probably closer to what container housing is here; that is some part of the structure prefabricated and the rest built by a traditional homebuilder. They will probably prevail upon the City to allow square footage below the typical minimum threshold, codified in the PUD. These are all guesses, as I haven't discussed any of this in detail with the developer. I just know from past conversations that he was interested in possibly incorporating very small square footage homes into the development.

It seems very few municipalities allow for such a development and I don't expect Oklahoma City to all of a sudden become as progressive as Portland on this issue. Even in California most tiny home communities are built as RV or mobile home parks if they have any chance of withstanding the existing zoning laws.

I guess I don't really see the point of tiny houses unless its in a scenic mountainous or beach area where it would be impractical to build a regular house, or in a large city where there just isn't a lot of space. I do like Carlton Landing though and if the Wheeler District can come close to that, it will be a big win. Harbortown in Memphis is another good example.

14. Default Re: Wheeler District

The point of a tiny house is usually to live a compact, efficient lifestyle without emphasis on the accumulation of "stuff." Essentially, a re-focusing of life's priorities. It is more about philosophy than it is about place.

From Stephen Tyler:

^^That's Crazy and Amazing. I need to Get a Grip. This Wheeler District is gonna be one Sweet Emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    ^^That's Crazy and Amazing. I need to Get a Grip. This Wheeler District is gonna be one Sweet Emotion.
    I see what you did there

19. Default Re: Wheeler District

20. Default Re: Wheeler District

21. Default Re: Wheeler District

22. Default Re: Wheeler District

23. Default Re: Wheeler District

Thread Information