Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 113 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    You're welcome. My humor isn't for everyone, lol.
    Obviously. Maybe someone else on the board can enlighten me to the humor of your private messages? I think you should keep the discussion on the public forum. LOL.

"There's no reason to...take the "lighten up" comment public. That's why I sent you a personal message. So keep your douchery confined to here, K? Thanks. Don't come at me again. Appreciate it."

Quote Originally Posted by gracefor24 View Post
    Yep, the pretty street and houses sure are creepy!

Attachment 3808

Attachment 3809
    Ah, what the hay, I'll add mah 2 cents. That's a beautiful area, I wouldn't mind living in a place like that. I have seen The Village and I kind of get the vibe that OKCOK4ME is describing, but it does seem like a nice area no doubt. I'm assuming the Humphrey's developed this?????? I like places that anyways whether it's creepy, adds somewhat of a "effect" of a nice(perhaps too nice) small town feel.

This is an awesome neighborhood though, never even knew it existed. I will have to pay it a visit myself!

p.s. to OKC talker, sorry for the off topic post

Thanks for getting my vibe PluPan. As stated before, lol, I never said there was anything wrong with the place. I think it's a nice development and if all the lots sell and get built on it will be comparable to something like a Shangri-la at Grand Lake O' the Cherokees. Granted that this development does not have a golf course, but it's practically the same concept, just new. I only posted about it here because it's a Humphreys project. If he comes back to OKC to work on a local project, I hope it will be the Flatiron since the green fields of Deep Deuce/Maywood are filling in with development.

I would really like to see Montley Crue, does anyone know what tickets are ranging from?

Some updates from the facebook page. First, some comments about what's coming up:

The venue is at the Downtown Airpark which is S. Western and the River in downtown Okc.
    Right now it doesn't look like much because everything will go in right after we finish with the toby Keith Benefit.

There will be a full stage on the North side of the property and to the east of the stage will be a second stage/VIP deck
    with air-conditioned bathrooms and food and drink bars. In front of the stage will be a sectioned off area for VIP tickets
    that will also have access to the VIP Deck.

The entrance will be a 20,000 sq. Ft tent that will also hold concessions and merchandising and have an area to relax
    out of the sun. There will also be a domed tent that will have relaxation stations and indoor bands playing during
    set changes. There will be something for everyone.

The box office will be to the East or right of the entrance tent and the Will Call will be to the left or west of the entrance tent.
    Parking is in front of the entrance all the way to the back or south end of the property..

The entrance to the venue will be 1701 S. Western or the old diner building that is halfway between the front of the venue
    and the back of the venue right on the West side of Western. Sod is being laid down as we speak so we can have a nice
    grassy area for you to enjoy the show on. Lawn chairs and blankets are allowed.

Starting July 7th you will see this great new temporary venue arise and you will not be disappointed.
    You will have the cool breezes coming off the river and the downtown skyline as your backdrop.
    And folks we will "Rock Your Socks Off" as promised. HP

Also posted is this photo of the area being prepared:

That shot was taken a few weeks ago. The new sod should be mostly down by now. They are promising up-to-date photos of this soon.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/OKCAirpark

Photo of the progress on the construction of the stage:

Also a lengthy post about their philosophy & goals:

We are receiving great thoughts and dialogue from a lot of good people.
    Keep the thoughts, ideas and opinions coming we read them all.

I want everyone to realize that change does not come easy, not for us not for anyone.
    We were safe and sound over the years we started and ran the Zoo Amphitheatre.
    When we started that venue the people said no one will come to that area.
    We built, we spent, we brought great concerts and we stimulated the area.

Then arose Remington park and it became a district. We are no longer involved with
    the Zoo Amphitheatre. So we are now reinventing ourselves and it all starts with a dream.

Many years ago before there was a canal we brought shows to a small club in a dilapidated
    building pre-bricktown canal in bricktown. People were afraid to come. Look at bricktown now.
    Look at the automobile district now. There always has to be a visionary or a pioneer who will
    make change where and when change is needed.

The evolution of the city now is downtown and along the river albeit a little bit further down
    to the east. With our venue being further west along the river we will spark the interest that
    will connect the dots between the two districts or at least that is our goal and hopefully the
    common goal of the people and local government. To make the connection towards growth
    in between the two sections of Okc downtown.

We wave the flag of the downtown experience and downtown proud.
    We are proud to see the Thunder, the urban growth, the population growth with the urban focus
    and the fact that restaurants, hotels, new business' are now seeing incredible growth and
    returns in the area. I have said this before with a vision comes a dream and with a dream
    comes a reality. This is our vision, this is our dream. We hope you will like it.

Please note this is only our temporary venue and not our permanent one.
    More news on that still to come. Thanks Oklahoma for your words of support and even your
    words of criticism they all help and they all are taken into consideration as we build upon
    the dreams of a better tomorrow.. HP
    Source: https://www.facebook.com/OKCAirpark

Stage view towards downtown:

Is this suppose to be a temp spot? Cause that really looks like crap...

It has been mentioned several times that this will not be a permanent location. Please check out the post just above the picture.

According to the Facebook post above, yes this is just a temporary venue with a permanent one to come.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It has been mentioned several times that this will not be a permanent location. Please check out the post just above the picture.
    Yes, and this sentence does not mesh with my feelings...

"Starting July 7th you will see this great new temporary venue arise and you will not be disappointed."

12. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

It's not even CLOSE to being completed. Patience.

You ever been to an outdoor concert before? This looks to be the beginnings of a pretty standard outdoor concert stage and rigging you will see pretty much anywhere.

14. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

Yes, and this sentence does not mesh with my feelings...

"Starting July 7th you will see this great new temporary venue arise and you will not be disappointed."
    They've actually done some decent clean-up work and even laid down fresh sod in a pretty large area for concert goers. Have patience. Besides, you won't be looking at cracks in the ground when there's thousands of people, setups, and live music blasting your ears. :] I think it's a great spot.

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    You ever been to an outdoor concert before? This looks to be the beginnings of a pretty standard outdoor concert stage and rigging you will see pretty much anywhere.
    Plenty of concerts at ZooAmp & I went to Ozzfest up at Bonner Springs. Obviously those are fully functional stages but still...even with patience and the knowledge that its a temporary venue...Im not impressed lol.

Plenty of concerts at ZooAmp & I went to Ozzfest up at Bonner Springs. Obviously those are fully functional stages but still...even with patience and the knowledge that its a temporary venue...Im not impressed lol.
    Then don't go. GEEZ

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Then don't go. GEEZ
    Oh, I won't. I'll gladly walk past on the south shore of the Oklahoma River and take in the echoing free music :-)

Why is any kind of negative feedback always bashed around here? I've been to plenty of outdoor music events (most set up and torn down within a weeks time) that were 100x more impressive then this stage going up. Its pathetic, especially for it being Oklahoma City's premier outdoor music venue whether temporary or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Why is any kind of negative feedback always bashed around here? I've been to plenty of outdoor music events (most set up and torn down within a weeks time) that were 100x more impressive then this stage going up. Its pathetic, especially for it being Oklahoma City's premier outdoor music venue whether temporary or not.
    Thank you jccouger. It's not like we all have to drink the koolaid that is obviously flowing into everyone's mouths. That's why I don't post on gopokes.com anymore. People get all, "you're an OU fan!" if you sway any negative comments about oSu sports. You have to be objective and that includes both sides of the coin!

Won't be as nice as some places, but its kind of hard to judge a concert venue when all they have up is the bare framework of the lighting and sound structure. They haven't even had the chance to take off the wheels used for transporation in those pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Won't be as nice as some places, but its kind of hard to judge a concert venue when all they have up is the bare framework of the lighting and sound structure. They haven't even had the chance to take off the wheels used for transporation in those pictures.
    Careful... don't want to bash anyone that says this temporary unfinished concert stage is obviously a piece of crap. They will get mad at you. lol

Just to be clear... the poster was bashed because he already had made a judgement on the facility based on the pics in this thread... it was the equivalent of seeing the frame of a car being made and then deciding it's obviously going to be a crappy car. I commented about you making the negative assertion off of such limited information, not just because you made a negative assertion. So, what you did was quite literally the exact opposite and equally damning version of drinking the kool-aid, as it were... then complained because we were drinking the kool-aide. lol

I drove by it less than an hour ago. Its tiny. You can even see from the picture with the truck in the background for a frame of reference.

I will give it that its in a cool setting with downtown right in its view and right next to river, but as far as the actual stage setup its really cheap. Especially for all the concerts that are supposed to take place there.

I guess you go to concerts for the music though, so hopefully they have a nice speaker set up. Based on the stage frame design and size, I'd guess no.

23. Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

If you drove by an hour ago, you should have noticed what appears to be the rigging for ANOTHER stage going up, closer to Western, but on the other side of the new sod they have laid down. Perhaps they will have two stages facing each other, with the crowd area in between? That would be neat.

Also, no one wants to hear negative judgement over an unfinished, temporary, outdoor concert area. You have no idea what the final outcome will be, yet your offended when someone calls you out on your early criticism? It has LONG been stated that this will be a temporary facility and that plans regarding a permanent facility are still underway. What part of that is not easily understood? We all have our own opinions, but you don't even have the patience to wait until the setup and construction has been finished before you allow negative comments to spew out of your mouth like vomit. Maybe it's not that everyone is drinking from the same Kool-Aid, as OKCisOK4Me so eloquently put it. No, maybe a few of you are sipping "hater-aid" and can't seem to notice how premature your critical comments are. Please.

The man behind this has gone out of his way to pursue a new outdoor concert venue for the OKC area and its citizens, on his own time and with his own money. I think we would all hope a permanent facility will be more snazzy than what is currently being built, but that's not up for criticism at the moment. So what's up with the negativity? If you don't plan on ever visiting this spot, then why even voice your concern over this temporary setup other than to be rude and obnoxious?

Now, where's my Kool-Aid?

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Careful... don't want to bash anyone that says this temporary unfinished concert stage is obviously a piece of crap. They will get mad at you. lol

Just to be clear... the poster was bashed because he already had made a judgement on the facility based on the pics in this thread... it was the equivalent of seeing the frame of a car being made and then deciding it's obviously going to be a crappy car. I commented about you making the negative assertion off of such limited information, not just because you made a negative assertion. So, what you did was quite literally the exact opposite and equally damning version of drinking the kool-aid, as it were... then complained because we were drinking the kool-aide. lol
    So when the designs were changed for the bare minimum Skydance Bridge and people thought that looked like crap, that was okay? I'm just trying to figure out because I give a vague based "it looks like crap" about a temporary stage that you have to go off on me as if my vague opinion does not qualify. Let's talk like gentlemen at the meet up. It's my feeling on the temporary stage lets leave it at that.

..and Architect2010, I like the sound of hater-aid ;-) Maybe that's what I'm sipping. Trust me, I can't wait for the permanent stage and I think it's awesome that they've picked a location along the river. I sent ZooAmp a message several months ago about a rumor of them building a new venue along the river and they only recently acknowledged me after the fact that the official announcement was made. I hope the final product looks good both day and night and not just in a rendering. I want what is best for OKC as everyone does. Just cause I see things differently doesn't mean anyone needs to criticize my point of view regardless of whether it is thought of as premature or not.

I used to love this site because it was such a good source of information, but now you have to scroll through so much negative comments, off topic comments (such as this one lol), etc. so much so that a really good source of our information isn't on here much any more if at all. I can understand opinions and even negative comments in political threads etc., but it's all over this site and it just gets old.

Thread Information