Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 113 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161762112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheeler District

Default Re: Downtown Airpark (The Waterfront)

I would love to see something in the Pull-Apart yard. That's such an eyesore when you're walking along the river.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I would love to see something in the Pull-Apart yard. That's such an eyesore when you're walking along the river.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    No northsider I know thinks of Capital Hill as 1 street or 1 building. BUT, we do think of it as a pretty neglected area that has tremendous and obvious potential. And, it seems like the Waterfront would most likely relate to a rejuvenated Capital Hill area more so than it would with Bricktown.

The biggest thing slowing down the Waterfront is that other areas are more attractive right now and there is still plenty of development opportunities in those areas...Btown, DD, Midtown, SOSA. OKC is not so big that EVERY development opportunity can be done simultaneously and be successful. The money is going where it is safer. A developer doing something in Btown, DD, Midtown doesn't need to do a big PR job to explain why you would want to live there. At Waterfront they will be plowing new ground and that is always more expensive and riskier. That is why a cautious approach will be taken. Moving forward too slowly will be a failure. Full speed ahead most likely would be a failure. But, a slow and ramping up start can work. It is like when an airliner takes off. It starts slowly, picks up speed, and at some point it cannot stop - it is full throttle. This will most likely be that kind of project.
    Every time we have an improvement to the downtown area, this development becomes more likely to be successful. It may be too early right now to start up, with nothing really connecting it to the more prosperous areas of downtown. I think how the Farmer's Market area ends up progressing will affect this project.

No northsider I know thinks of Capital Hill as 1 street or 1 building. BUT, we do think of it as a pretty neglected area that has tremendous and obvious potential. And, it seems like the Waterfront would most likely relate to a rejuvenated Capital Hill area more so than it would with Bricktown.

The biggest thing slowing down the Waterfront is that other areas are more attractive right now and there is still plenty of development opportunities in those areas...Btown, DD, Midtown, SOSA. OKC is not so big that EVERY development opportunity can be done simultaneously and be successful. The money is going where it is safer. A developer doing something in Btown, DD, Midtown doesn't need to do a big PR job to explain why you would want to live there. At Waterfront they will be plowing new ground and that is always more expensive and riskier. That is why a cautious approach will be taken. Moving forward too slowly will be a failure. Full speed ahead most likely would be a failure. But, a slow and ramping up start can work. It is like when an airliner takes off. It starts slowly, picks up speed, and at some point it cannot stop - it is full throttle. This will most likely be that kind of project.
    No, Rover a slow ramping up will not work. We agree on the premise but not the conclusion.

You're not going to build an isolated retail or restaurant row and then do your first handful of townhomes and get success. That will just sit there and the weeds will grow OR the project gets watered down and moves forward, a la University North Park.

And I'm not sure what you're talking about a plane landing. The last time I flew was to NJ and we had an emergency belly landing that was quite hellacious. That's what I see this project doing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Just saw an advertisement in the new gazette for Sublime with Rome, Pennywise and Kottonmouth Kings at the DT Airpark on July 25th.

In an article when interviewing Howard Pollack, manager of the DT Airpark, said two major country shows await confirmation and a latin music festival is in the planning stages. He also said his company is in the process of planning a new 15,000 seat amphitheatre somewhere along the Oklahoma River with a target date of 2015/2016.
    Yes, the temporary venue seems to be moving along, as I saw the detailed plans they submitted for approval.

Regarding a permanent venue, most people don't realize that Chesapeake owns a big tract immediately east of the airpark; they bought it in 2007 about a year after the airpark was sold.

I'm told Pollock had been working with Chesapeake to place the amphitheater on their parcel as part of a bigger development. However, that all seems to have changed since the big shake-up at CHK.

Pollock may still be looking to build a permanent venue but it seems his best option is now off the table.

(Chesapeake land shown in yellow below; most the land between the two parcels is owned by the City.)

That land in yellow is used as an informal soccer field that a huge little league uses almost every day. If you drive down Western into Capitol Hill around 4-7pm you'll see dozens and dozens of cars parked on the grass.

metro: what don't you like about the logo? Overall I think it works well.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    No, Rover a slow ramping up will not work. We agree on the premise but not the conclusion.

You're not going to build an isolated retail or restaurant row and then do your first handful of townhomes and get success. That will just sit there and the weeds will grow OR the project gets watered down and moves forward, a la University North Park.

And I'm not sure what you're talking about a plane landing. The last time I flew was to NJ and we had an emergency belly landing that was quite hellacious. That's what I see this project doing lol.
    I agree. If they don't ramp up on this project when they finally decide to begin, we're destined for a downtown University North Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, the temporary venue seems to be moving along, as I saw the detailed plans they submitted for approval.

Regarding a permanent venue, most people don't realize that Chesapeake owns a big tract immediately east of the airpark; they bought it in 2007 about a year after the airpark was sold.

I'm told Pollock had been working with Chesapeake to place the amphitheater on their parcel as part of a bigger development. However, that all seems to have changed since the big shake-up at CHK.

Pollock may still be looking to build a permanent venue but it seems his best option is now off the table.

(Chesapeake land shown in yellow below; most the land between the two parcels is owned by the City.)

I think that the Chesapeake land would be a good place for the GE research center.

That's a perfect site for GE..

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RodH View Post
    I think that the Chesapeake land would be a good place for the GE research center.
    That's a great idea. I wonder what parcel GE is actually negotiating with the city about?

Kinda off subject, but having to do with Humphreys, I was just looking at all the pics from Carlton Landing on Facebook, and I'm sorry......BUT it kind of reminds me of M. Night Shayamalan's 'The Village'...and that to me IS creepy.

The Pull-a-Part plot would be a good place for the GE Center.

But I also think that plot we be suited to the Velodrome idea that has been floating around and that is coming from a non-cyclist.

The northern CHK shown on Pete's map would be good for GE, but the Outdoor Amp would be a good compliment for Waterfront Project, specifically the ferris wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Kinda off subject, but having to do with Humphreys, I was just looking at all the pics from Carlton Landing on Facebook, and I'm sorry......BUT it kind of reminds me of M. Night Shayamalan's 'The Village'...and that to me IS creepy.
    Yep, the pretty street and houses sure are creepy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	922394_538643992867417_505643092_o.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	441.2 KB 
ID:	3808

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	922526_525901187475031_677891149_o.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	893.1 KB 
ID:	3809

Quote Originally Posted by gracefor24 View Post
    Yep, the pretty street and houses sure are creepy!
    Obviously you haven't seen The Village or even know the premise of the movie...smh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I agree. If they don't ramp up on this project when they finally decide to begin, we're destined for a downtown University North Park.
    That's a pretty big and unsupportable leap. Just hyperbole.

HangryHippo Guest

Okay, Rover. Because there are so many projects here that live up to the original hype.

Obviously you haven't seen The Village or even know the premise of the movie...smh.
    I have seen it. Why don't you enlighten us to how a great development at Lake Eufala resembles this movie? LOL. Doesn't seem obvious to me. Seems that you're a bit on the strange side to think a community designed by well-known, new urbanist planners and being executed well would be creepy. Have you been there?

Also, please comment on how the pictures I posted above would be considered creepy?

Great point. Not all developments are the same. This one is a bit unique when all things are considered. Who would have thought that Deep Deuce would be what it is today? 15 years ago it was a ghost town except for some dangerous elements.

I have seen it. Why don't you enlighten us to how a great development at Lake Eufala resembles this movie? LOL. Doesn't seem obvious to me. Seems that you're a bit on the strange side to think a community designed by well-known, new urbanist planners and being executed well would be creepy. Have you been there?

Also, please comment on how the pictures I posted above would be considered creepy?
    Ok, first off Gracie, since you're new, let me fill you in on some things. I'm sarcastic a lot. Also, if you've seen the movie, they have the same kind of buildings and have little parties at night where everyone dresses up like it's the 1800s. Granted people at the Humphreys development don't dress like that but there is one pic on their Facebook page of everyone dressed up in bonnets and the like for a Thanksgiving feast. Good for them if they want to get away from the big city with the community that is in development and obviously has a long way to go. I never said it wasn't a great development so don't read between the lines.

Last but not least....M. Night Shamamalan movies are meant to be creepy. That's where the creepy comes in. The resemblance between the movie and this town square. Get it?

How is a poster that registered in August 2008 "new"?

Ok, first off Gracie, since you're new, let me fill you in on some things. I'm sarcastic a lot. Also, if you've seen the movie, they have the same kind of buildings and have little parties at night where everyone dresses up like it's the 1800s. Granted people at the Humphreys development don't dress like that but there is one pic on their Facebook page of everyone dressed up in bonnets and the like for a Thanksgiving feast. Good for them if they want to get away from the big city with the community that is in development and obviously has a long way to go. I never said it wasn't a great development so don't read between the lines.

Last but not least....M. Night Shamamalan movies are meant to be creepy. That's where the creepy comes in. The resemblance between the movie and this town square. Get it?
    LOL. Thanks for the gracie, comment. I'm not new here, just don't post much. Wonder why? Maybe you're the one who needs to lighten up a little bit. You called it creepy and compared it to a creepy movie. I disagreed and struggled to understand what you were saying. You were trying to be funny while being sarcastic and used a picture of people (probably kids from the school located at the development) dressed up for a Thanksgiving event. You proceed to take a couple more shots about people wanting to "get away from the big city" and that it has a "long ways to go". Seems to me you have a funny way of being light and sarcastic while taking real shots at the same time.

But thanks for "filling me in on some things". LOL.

LOL. Thanks for the gracie, comment. I'm not new here, just don't post much. Wonder why? Maybe you're the one who needs to lighten up a little bit. You called it creepy and compared it to a creepy movie. I disagreed and struggled to understand what you were saying. You were trying to be funny while being sarcastic and used a picture of people (probably kids from the school located at the development) dressed up for a Thanksgiving event. You proceed to take a couple more shots about people wanting to "get away from the big city" and that it has a "long ways to go". Seems to me you have a funny way of being light and sarcastic while taking real shots at the same time.

But thanks for "filling me in on some things". LOL.
    You're welcome. My humor isn't for everyone, lol.

Would you two please step outside so we could return this thread to the original topic?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Would you two please step outside so we could return this thread to the original topic?
    Well, you might want to say that to the rest of the OKCTalk community seeing as how almost every thread has gone off topic lol(and I know I've contributed to it, I'm doing it now).

Thread Information