Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart Supercenter vs neighborhood market

Default Wal-Mart Supercenter vs neighborhood market

I recenctly was at a WM neighborhood market. I commented to the clerk that what I was buying cost a dollar and a half more there than at the supercenter. She told me that was correct. That I was paying for the convenience of coming to the market. I asked her if everything cost more than the supercenter? She said it should be. I had no idea.

Oh how I can't wait for the new Crest!

Default Re: Wal-Mart Supercenter vs neighborhood market

Not sure about the prices, but the Supercenter also has better selections than the Market. It amazes me that a dedicated grocery store has less than a "supercenter".

3. Default Re: Wal-Mart Supercenter vs neighborhood market

Well for all the "cost savings" Wal-Mart makes people think they offer, in all actuallity, they don't. You will often find products cheaper at Target than Wal-Mart. Wally's trick is to advertise a particular product at the "low price" to get you in the store. While you're there, you buy other stuff that is actually MORE than elsewhere. So Wally gets more money and you think you've saved....especially with that little "you saved $.. today" at the bottom of the receipt and all the "Low Price Guarantee" stuff. You tell a lie long enough, people take it as fact.

I don't think Wal-Mart is evil or anything, I think they are shrewd businessmen/women and have managed to carve out such an amaing place in society, it's hard not to admire their presence. Do I shop there? NO WAY IN HELL! Not really because I dislike the products....the same can of corn is at Crest/Wal-Mart/Target/Homeland/etc., but I can't stand being around the people inside or standing in their lines.

For me, even if I do end up paying a bit more at Target for something, I get the more relaxed atmosphere....no lady beating the kid in the aisle while talking to her "baby daddy" on her cell. Just sayin....

A dedicated grocery store in a neighborhood is likely to have higher prices. They lack the volume and lots of them are in higher crime areas with highter insurance rates. And they are also not going to have the selection of a supercenter although if they are are in an ethnic area, a lot of them will care specific goods tailored to the surrounding community. That clerk was exactly right about the convenience of having a market close to home costing more. That is why convenience stores in neighborhoods are almost always higher than at regular supercenters.

I agree, it's no different than the prices of "groceries" sold at a 7-11. You pay more there for Cheetos than at the grocery store. You also pay more for gas at one gas station vs. at another depending on competition and demographics.

Easy formula:

The more work you have to do (e.g. walk a mile inside a Supercenter, find stuff without any help or service), the less you pay. The less work you have to do (better service, smaller store, shorter walk from parking to checkout) the more you pay.

I haven't spent any money at a Wal-mart, Sam's Club, or Wal-mart Neighborhood Market in over 3 years. I think the hassle and heartache I have saved myself from shopping at those places has given me back more than 3 years on my life.

YouTube - WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price -- teaser trailer

If they went union, the hate crowd would evaporate. I love Wal-Mart.

where is the new crest going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemarsh51 View Post
    I recenctly was at a WM neighborhood market. I commented to the clerk that what I was buying cost a dollar and a half more there than at the supercenter. She told me that was correct. That I was paying for the convenience of coming to the market. I asked her if everything cost more than the supercenter? She said it should be. I had no idea.

Oh how I can't wait for the new Crest!
    This isn't necessarily a Super Center vs Market problem but a general problem with Wal-Mart overall. I have found many identical items cheaper at the Market rather than higher as mentioned in your post. I have found price difference on specific items at 2 or more SuperCenters too. When I have commented on it, was told that each store has its own pricing (not sure if this is set by corporate or the individual stores) and that Wal-mart will price match their competitors but they don't consider themselves to be in competition with other Wal-Marts. Personally think all pricing within a geographic area should be nearly identical.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Well for all the "cost savings" Wal-Mart makes people think they offer, in all actuallity, they don't. You will often find products cheaper at Target than Wal-Mart. Wally's trick is to advertise a particular product at the "low price" to get you in the store. While you're there, you buy other stuff that is actually MORE than elsewhere. So Wally gets more money and you think you've saved....especially with that little "you saved $.. today" at the bottom of the receipt and all the "Low Price Guarantee" stuff. You tell a lie long enough, people take it as fact.
    WOW, respectfully disagree here. Take your regular weekly shopping list. Go buy the items at your regular store (Target, Homeland, whatever) and take that receipt to Wal-Mart and compare. Some items may be higher and some are lower, but overall chances are you are going to save at Wal-mart.

Rarely will I find an item cheaper at a competitor. Sometimes it happens, but it is a special sale price and not the regular price. Many stores do what you described, have a great sale price on something to pull you in and then make it up on other items (think this is called a loss leader). This is definitely true of Homeland and its BOGO sales. A few years ago (before Wal-Mart entered the grocery business), took Homelands BOGO ad to Crest in Midwest City, on EVERY item that Crest carried, their regular price was cheaper than Homeland's BOGO (buy one get one). EVERY item! You sometimes might get a good buy on a particular "sale" item but if you buy anything else in the store, they make their profit back. Similar to stores that offer double coupons. Their price is jacked up so that even after you take off the double coupon, you are still paying more than at other stores.

They all do loss leaders. They'll get a good price on a particular item and use it to draw in customers. That is standard.

"Loss Leader" may not have been the correct term (my bad) because it implies they are losing money on the item which is illegal under Oklahoma law. This law goes back to the '40s (long before Wal-Mart and "Big Box" retailers came on the scene. Anyway, Oklahoma law requires that a minimum 6% profit be made on all items sold in the retail or wholesale environment. There are some exceptions, like clearance items etc.

This is why you may see in an ad (especially after Thanksgiving ones), in small print, "not available in Oklahoma". Has nothing to do with the availability of the item, but that price can't be honored because it falls below the 6% profit requirement (and may actually be below their cost, a true "loss leader"). they will have the item available and at a sale price, but just not the one advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    "Loss Leader" may not have been the correct term (my bad) because it implies they are losing money on the item which is illegal under Oklahoma law.
    My first husband was in the grocery business and he always called them loss leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Blangdon View Post
    where is the new crest going to be?
    SW 104th and May Ave., they are also in the process of buying land for a new store in Norman.

A quarter pounder with cheese "value" meal at the McDonalds at Disneyworld cost nearly $8.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    A quarter pounder with cheese "value" meal at the McDonalds at Disneyworld cost nearly $8.
    And this has what to do with Walmart Super Center or Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    And this has what to do with Walmart Super Center or Walmart Neighborhood Market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemarsh51 View Post
    I commented to the clerk that what I was buying cost a dollar and a half more there than at the supercenter. She told me that was correct. That I was paying for the convenience of coming to the market. I asked her if everything cost more than the supercenter? She said it should be. I had no idea.
    My comment about a quarter pounder value meal at McDonald's on Disney property costing so much more than anywhere else was in the same vein as the original poster's comment.

Supply/Demand...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    "Loss Leader" may not have been the correct term (my bad) because it implies they are losing money on the item which is illegal under Oklahoma law. This law goes back to the '40s (long before Wal-Mart and "Big Box" retailers came on the scene. Anyway, Oklahoma law requires that a minimum 6% profit be made on all items sold in the retail or wholesale environment. There are some exceptions, like clearance items etc.

This is why you may see in an ad (especially after Thanksgiving ones), in small print, "not available in Oklahoma". Has nothing to do with the availability of the item, but that price can't be honored because it falls below the 6% profit requirement (and may actually be below their cost, a true "loss leader"). they will have the item available and at a sale price, but just not the one advertised.
    If Oklahoma law requires any specific percent of profit, this is the first I've ever heard of it and I worked for many years for a big retail chain. That really doesn't seem any more constitutional than the president of the US being able to fire the CEO of General Motors, now known as Government Motors.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    If Oklahoma law requires any specific percent of profit, this is the first I've ever heard of it and I worked for many years for a big retail chain. That really doesn't seem any more constitutional than the president of the US being able to fire the CEO of General Motors, now known as Government Motors.
    I recall first husband saying something about it, but that was decades ago and I recall the particulars.

21. Default Re: Wal-Mart Supercenter vs neighborhood market

Quote Originally Posted by Ezrablum View Post
    I haven't spent any money at a Wal-mart, Sam's Club, or Wal-mart Neighborhood Market in over 3 years. I think the hassle and heartache I have saved myself from shopping at those places has given me back more than 3 years on my life.

Thats your mental problem with them. I don't do my weekly grocery shopping there but I buy a lot of non-perishables and things to store. Between lower prices and coupons, I can save significant money. Its no hassle to me.

I prefer Homeland because when I return to buy something I've purchased there before I can be fairly confident that it will be on the shelf. I suspect more than a few of Walmarts items are one time buys and if you found it one time, there's no guarantee they'll have it when you go back.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Wish I had saved it but it is a decades old law. I became aware of it a couple of years ago when the were trying to change the time period of the invoice they could base the price and required 6% and up profit on. The emphasis at the time was that the bill would lead to even higher gas prices. When I looked up the bill and the particular statute, discovered it wasn't limited to gasoline purchases but applied to all retail and wholesale.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    If they went union, the hate crowd would evaporate. I love Wal-Mart.
    Why?

25. Default Re: Wal-Mart Supercenter vs neighborhood market

Quote Originally Posted by Ezrablum View Post

I believe this is a total lie.

Thread Information