Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891055 ... LastLast

Thread: University Town Center

Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider73068 View Post
    I have heard about Crest being built near Target, I was also told or its rumored that Cabelas will be built there on UNP as well. But I will always wonder how Dollar Tree is high end retail?

I feel this whole UNP is a failure and a waste of moeny or least tax dollars by having it as a TIF, since us the employees are being told that we won't hire anymore, still have merit freezes, residents have to feel the crunch as well, but will still keep giving millions to bring in supposed high end retail for UNP.
    UNP was NEVER planned to be 100% "high end retail"

Is/are there an/any accurate, accessible master site plan/s for UNP that show/s announced projects?

3. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    UNP was NEVER planned to be 100% "high end retail"
    Many forget that. You need some of the lower end retail to get the foot traffic there. If they went 100% upscale, you wouldn't get enough people. This is one of the reasons why it is also key to hold the developers in developing the lifestyle center. The village shopping environment and combining it with loft apartments and offices would do wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    I don't see acadamy being very happy with a cabelas going there.
    That would be a really strange move but it wouldn't surprise me. These are the same folks who built a Panda Express literally in Pei Wei's parking lot after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    That would be a really strange move but it wouldn't surprise me. These are the same folks who built a Panda Express literally in Pei Wei's parking lot after all.
    Um, if you are saying that panda express and pei wei are interchangeable, then you have some pretty bad taste buds... They are for totally different markets and occasions. It would be the equivalent of saying that the Long John Silvers in front of the Pearl's was redundant. lol

There will be two mattress stores right near each other also, Mathis brothers and the one in strip with Zios/five guys etc.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    ... This is one of the reasons why it is also key to hold the developers in developing the lifestyle center. ...
    Isn't that already a done dead and buried idea?

It is definately dead! "they aren't building lifestyle centers anymore"- developer, about a year after his idea to build lifestyle center. haha!

The most recent news suggests that they plan to build a "town center" or "village center" instead of a "lifestyle center" . . . still too early to judge this whole project . . .

http://normantranscript.com/governme...learer-for-TIF

10. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock View Post
    The most recent news suggests that they plan to build a "town center" or "village center" instead of a "lifestyle center" . . . still too early to judge this whole project . . .

http://normantranscript.com/governme...learer-for-TIF
    Go back to page 4 and we actually discussed that. I personally don't see any difference from lifestyle center to town/village center. Just a different name to call it.

I agree, it's old news, but some folks either don't keep up or just want to focus on the negative.

I also agree that if they keep the landscaping and design up to standards, this can still be a great addition. I was never convinced that it had to have a pedestrian-only promenade to be nice. I have seen plenty of nice town centers that are not pedestrian-only, and I would be fine with that.

There are some things I like about UNP (SuperTarget, Pei Wei, Zio's) and some things I don't (Dollar Tree, $1 Jewelry Galore), but it's too early to make a final judgment.

I’m glad to hear about a rumored Norman Cabelas.
    I have ordered high quality extreme cold weather gear from their catalog before.

Is there anything more known about how realistic this is and when and where?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Um, if you are saying that panda express and pei wei are interchangeable, then you have some pretty bad taste buds... They are for totally different markets and occasions. It would be the equivalent of saying that the Long John Silvers in front of the Pearl's was redundant. lol
    I don't know why you have to put me down. I wasn't making a judgement call on their food at all... I was saying I would imagine one company that has been established in UNP for some time wouldn't be too happy to see their competitor, be it Cabella's or Panda, located so closely to them. In case you are curious go look up stock ticker PFCB, the parent company of Pei Wei. Go to a site like Yahoo Finance and look through their legal filings... they flat-out state that they view Panda Express as one of their primary competitors. Go to a site like WikiInvest and you'll find mention of Panda eating away at Pei Wei and PF Chang's market share. Do a search for those business names in USA Today and you will find several articles citing the down economy and the trend of consumers to migrate away from Pei Wei and PF Chang's and towards Panda Express. Regardless of taste buds, there is a very real trend going on with the finance side of the house and those guys are direct competitors. So all I am saying is that it seems pretty bad to me that UNP would put the two so close together, and if the rumors in this thread are right would do it again with Academy and Cabela's. If I am the owner or manager of a store the last thing I want to do at night is walk out the front door and see a company that corporate views as the primary competitor 20 feet away in the parking lot. If I'm a potential tenant of UNP and I see that as a trend I probably would rather look someplace else in the metro to locate myself in. You may disagree that they're in different categories because of taste, but the money people don't see it that way. That's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    I don't know why you have to put me down. I wasn't making a judgement call on their food at all... I was saying I would imagine one company that has been established in UNP for some time wouldn't be too happy to see their competitor, be it Cabella's or Panda, located so closely to them. In case you are curious go look up stock ticker PFCB, the parent company of Pei Wei. Go to a site like Yahoo Finance and look through their legal filings... they flat-out state that they view Panda Express as one of their primary competitors. Go to a site like WikiInvest and you'll find mention of Panda eating away at Pei Wei and PF Chang's market share. Do a search for those business names in USA Today and you will find several articles citing the down economy and the trend of consumers to migrate away from Pei Wei and PF Chang's and towards Panda Express. Regardless of taste buds, there is a very real trend going on with the finance side of the house and those guys are direct competitors. So all I am saying is that it seems pretty bad to me that UNP would put the two so close together, and if the rumors in this thread are right would do it again with Academy and Cabela's. If I am the owner or manager of a store the last thing I want to do at night is walk out the front door and see a company that corporate views as the primary competitor 20 feet away in the parking lot. If I'm a potential tenant of UNP and I see that as a trend I probably would rather look someplace else in the metro to locate myself in. You may disagree that they're in different categories because of taste, but the money people don't see it that way. That's all I'm saying.
    Wasn't saying anything about you personally, just being a smarta**. lol. I understand your point, but I was just saying that I wouldn't ever consider those two direct competitors. Apparently my tastes are different than the masses.

While driving by UNP yesterday, I noticed two new construction sites have broke ground. Both are on the east side of 24th, north of the Five Guys and Zio's locations. One of the sites had a sign out front showing the building, but it looked more like a small office development than retail. The other site was just scraped clean with the blue stormwater barriers up around it. Good to see some more development here.

One will be another bank (cant remember which one)...also, a four story Holiday Inn Express and suites will be going in on the E. side of 24th (not sure when that will get started).

Holiday Inn basically owns the Oklahoma City area hotel market.

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    Holiday Inn basically owns the Oklahoma City area hotel market.
    Actually, the various brands under the Marriott umbrella have a much larger share of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Actually, the various brands under the Marriott umbrella have a much larger share of the market.
    That's true. I guess Holiday Inn's are just a little more obvious to the eye for me than Marriott's are. I'm still waiting for a Drury Inn to enter into the OKC market.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    While driving by UNP yesterday, I noticed two new construction sites have broke ground. Both are on the east side of 24th, north of the Five Guys and Zio's locations. One of the sites had a sign out front showing the building, but it looked more like a small office development than retail. The other site was just scraped clean with the blue stormwater barriers up around it. Good to see some more development here.
    The site immediately north of IBC, a wee bit north of five guys/zios, will be Valliance. Not a clue on the other at the moment.

Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    That's true. I guess Holiday Inn's are just a little more obvious to the eye for me than Marriott's are. I'm still waiting for a Drury Inn to enter into the OKC market.
    Some years ago there was one off I-35 in OKC. I think it was between Grand and 44th, but it was a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Some years ago there was one off I-35 in OKC. I think it was between Grand and 44th, but it was a dump.
    Location, location, location. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    My Bad, it was a DROVERS INN I was confusing with Drury. Apologies to the Drury Corporation.

Thread Information