Widgets Magazine
Page 44 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1848

Thread: University Town Center

Default Re: University Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    there wouldn't be a county wide vote ....... just like there was not going to be a city wide vote ..
    Can't increase taxes without it

I live in Cleveland county, and if there was a proposition for a bond or sales tax increase for the arena, I would vote for it.

Everything doesn't have to be hosted at Paycom Center, it would be nice to have another alternative in the region, instead of the hassle of going downtown for everything.

Hopefully it’s built on campus. Building it at UNP is a mistake, IMO.

4. Default Re: University Town Center

OU's student section is pretty weak... I'm not sure a "But what about the students?" argument is even valid in this case.

I remember during the Frank Martin era at K-State. Their students would come down and take over the LNC. Even some of them sitting in the OU student section.

The key to get attendance up is to win games. No one wants to buy tickets to watch them lose. The football team doesn't have a hard time filling the stands because they win games.

Maybe they could just build a multi-purpose arena, and OU could just have the naming rights, and contract out all there home games at the new arena.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    The fact is students make up a small percentage of tickets sales for OU football and basketball games. The majority of your fan base is going to be non-students, therefore the UNP location for a new arena makes the most sense if we are talking about boosting attendance. Placing it in UNP will get more people from Moore and Oklahoma city to attend games.
    Student ticket sales still make up a healthy portion of any college's bball program, and they are much more reliable on attendance than older ticket holders. However, from a financial aspect, student ticket prices are obviously lower than general public tickets. But if you want a lively atmosphere, an on campus arena is the only way to go. I also think you're overestimating attendance from people in Moore and OKC for college bball, its just not an attractive form of entertainment these days, especially with the Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    OU's student section is pretty weak... I'm not sure a "But what about the students?" argument is even valid in this case.

I remember during the Frank Martin era at K-State. Their students would come down and take over the LNC. Even some of them sitting in the OU student section.
    I'd say its weak based on LNC already being quite a ways from the main campus. Going to UNP would make it even weaker.

The OU athletic department needs to embrace the father of modern OU hoops.
    There has been zero recognition of what Tubbs brought not only to OU but that era of college ball.
    The AD went to great lengths in the platitudes to Sherry Coale last year. Benches, banner in the rafters, etc.
    There are former players such as Stacy King who have been vocal on this.
    Why no recognition such as naming the court?
    Tubbs put asses in the seats at the LNC on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Student ticket sales still make up a healthy portion of any college's bball program, and they are much more reliable on attendance than older ticket holders. However, from a financial aspect, student ticket prices are obviously lower than general public tickets. But if you want a lively atmosphere, an on campus arena is the only way to go. I also think you're overestimating attendance from people in Moore and OKC for college bball, its just not an attractive form of entertainment these days, especially with the Thunder.

I'd say its weak based on LNC already being quite a ways from the main campus. Going to UNP would make it even weaker.
    almost none of this is accurate

How could it be possible that the University of Oklahoma cant get a new basketball arena built on or near campus. The whole UNP proposal makes zero sense.

There is a reason that you see no other major universities proposing new off campus facilities (for any sport) and several trying as hard as they can to get venues back on campus if at all possible. This is a proposal i would expect to see in 1989 not 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    How could it be possible that the University of Oklahoma cant get a new basketball arena built on or near campus. The whole UNP proposal makes zero sense.

There is a reason that you see no other major universities proposing new off campus facilities (for any sport) and several trying as hard as they can to get venues back on campus if at all possible. This is a proposal i would expect to see in 1989 not 2022.
    OU has had almost 0 issue selling basketball season tickets in the past 25 years ..

they do have a big problem getting ticket holders to come to the games .. every season ticket holder meeting and survey one of the biggest issue is making it easier to come to games and having dinning/drink options around the arena before and after games .....

also OU is not going to spend money on a new basketball stadium until a ton of other projects are done (including about 400 mil more on the football stadium)

UNP stadium project solves a ton of the issue OU basketball has .... and makes a TON of sense ..

the college basketball team that makes the most money in the country has an off campus arena ...

OU has had almost 0 issue selling basketball season tickets in the past 25 years ..

they do have a big problem getting ticket holders to come to the games .. every season ticket holder meeting and survey one of the biggest issue is making it easier to come to games and having dinning/drink options around the arena before and after games .....

also OU is not going to spend money on a new basketball stadium until a ton of other projects are done (including about 400 mil more on the football stadium)

UNP stadium project solves a ton of the issue OU basketball has .... and makes a TON of sense ..

the college basketball team that makes the most money in the country has an off campus arena ...
    Yea, There is a bit of a difference in a school located in an urban setting playing in the downtown core of a large city on the banks of the Ohio River and a University surrounded by prime real estate instead choosing to put a stadium next to a kohl's parking lot off of the interstate.

Yea, There is a bit of a difference in a school located in an urban setting playing in the downtown core of a large city on the banks of the Ohio River and a University surrounded by prime real estate instead choosing to put a stadium next to a kohl's parking lot off of the interstate.

If OU wants the venue off campus, they should look towards downtown. It keeps the stadium close for students and it would be surrounded by far superior dining/drink/entertainment options than anything at UNP.

Agreed. This would also add to the vibrancy of the campus making it more appealing as well.

What school is that? University of Louisville is NOWHERE near downtown Louisville or near the urban center. At least look to make sure your facts are correct. Like, that's bad, because you were trying to bash him, but failed.

lol LNC is on campus .... most students don't live on campus and i have talked to the coach about a new stadium
    So why did you share that you talked to the coach without sharing what he told you? That does not make your opinion anymore credible

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    What school is that? University of Louisville is NOWHERE near downtown Louisville or near the urban center. At least look to make sure your facts are correct. Like, that's bad, because you were trying to bash him, but failed.
    I never mentioned anything about how close or far campus was to downtown Louisville. Not really sure what you’re even talking about.

The university of Louisville is located in a city. choosing to play in the core of that city (that has no nba team) in a downtown arena makes a little sense. It’s not like they went to some random retail strip center off of I-65 and built an arena between a Sams club parking lot and a Zaxby’s.

And I’m not trying to bash anyone. OU has an unbelievably beautiful campus, great amenities, a highly involved student population, and a highly successful athletic department. Why anyone would want to break basketball away from that and bury it out next to some big box shopping development baffles me.

Blog Entries

I never mentioned anything about how close or far campus was to downtown Louisville. Not really sure what you’re even talking about.

The university of Louisville is located in a city. choosing to play in the core of that city (that has no nba team) in a downtown arena makes a little sense. It’s not like they went to some random retail strip center off of I-65 and built an arena between a Sams club parking lot and a Zaxby’s.

And I’m not trying to bash anyone. OU has an unbelievably beautiful campus, great amenities, a highly involved student population, and a highly successful athletic department. Why anyone would want to break basketball away from that and bury it out next to some big box shopping development baffles me.
    Actually the students haven’t been overly supportive for quite some time. Not really all that involved.

Thought you were talking about Louisville when you mentioned arena in an urban core of a large city on the Ohio River. My apologies.

Thought you were talking about Louisville when you mentioned arena in an urban core of a large city on the Ohio River. My apologies.
    he was

I was talking about Louisville. Their arena is located in downtown Louisville on the Ohio River. The main campus is about 4 miles south of the arena.

Because this UNP location is purely an economic decision and is ignoring the bball program, students, recruiting. Find a spot near the football stadium for an arena and you'd have a livelier and more fun atmosphere and more consistent attendance.

The talk of LNC being "on campus" might be technically true but its not for all intents and purposes.

Because this UNP location is purely an economic decision and is ignoring the bball program, students, recruiting. Find a spot near the football stadium for an arena and you'd have a livelier and more fun atmosphere and more consistent attendance.
    again this is not correct ....

23. Default Re: University Town Center

The talk of LNC being "on campus" might be technically true but its not for all intents and purposes.
    Where are you going to park everyone? Dealing with the parking chaos around the football stadium is ok for the handful of Autumn home games. But in a state where no one wants to park and walk to anything to begin with. Do you think they are going to park and walk to a sport with more home games in the middle of winter? Not to mention weeknight games in the dark during winter.

Attendance would drop even more.

Maybe they could hold a few non-conference games in the old field house and offer the students free tickets to see how many actually show up.

again this is not correct ....
    Why so you speak in such absolutes? Like, all the time. It makes it hard to have any discourse with you.

Shortly after the city walked away from it "Sassy Pants"(Sassan Moghadam)the brick throwing developer cranked up Unite Norman. In Feb of this year Sassy went to the county commissioners.
    Shortly after the county commisioners got involved back in Feb, they disbanded the 8 member oversight board. Oversight was then done by the three commissioners and the 3 member excise board. The excise board was chaired at the time by the new Norman mayor.
    This UNP scheme is politics played out behind any oversight.

Thread Information