Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned Oklahoma

Default Abandoned Oklahoma

Just wanted to make sure that those that might be interested had seen this site:

http://www.abandonedok.com/

It's for the entire state, but has lots of things in central OK.

Default Re: Abandoned Oklahoma

This is interesting. Looking around on the map in S.E. Okla, I found Belzoni. There is nothing there but a cemetery. I have family on both sides buried there. Williams & Flemings

Prunepicker Guest

Pete,
    This is great. The Pickers have family from Oklahoma and some of the towns
    are gone, except for the cemetery. Just like Tall Girl said.

I have not read the book (Abandoned Oklahoma) but, my uncle bought a piece of land down by Berwyn (Gene Autry) a few years back and, on one end there was a "Black" cemetery that the previous owner wouldn't let anyone near. Well, my Uncle's first job at hand was to have his men clean up the cemetery and open the road where people could go in there if they wanted....this place is mega old. He is now a "Hero" and the cemetery is now being used again and has not been abandoned in Oklahoma......His men Fenced around the Cemetery so that the cattle wouldn't get in on the Graves and the people of the community now keep it up real nice.....there was one marker that just had a first name.....no date, nothing....kinda strange...

Those type cemeteries are all over the state. If you look around an old country school there will be one near there. Clematis (don't know about spelling) is a large cemetery in Lincoln County. It's still accessible to visit but no new burials are allowed. It's on a guys property and he has cattle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Those type cemeteries are all over the state. If you look around an old country school there will be one near there. Clematis (don't know about spelling) is a large cemetery in Lincoln County. It's still accessible to visit but no new burials are allowed. It's on a guys property and he has cattle on it.
    ================================================== ==========
    The guy probably owns the property but it's a true shame that cemetery land of old is neglected.....I don't mean manicured like Resthaven but the old Graves probably don't have any Relatives left.....I know there's one in Wilson, Oklahoma...(taken care of however) that my Great Grandfather is buried in and his headstore is a bag of Sakrete with his name and date put in with a stick. My Great-Great--Great aunt is buried there also....She was tough and onery...Carried a pistol til she died....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    I have not read the book (Abandoned Oklahoma) but, my uncle bought a piece of land down by Berwyn (Gene Autry) a few years back and, on one end there was a "Black" cemetery that the previous owner wouldn't let anyone near. Well, my Uncle's first job at hand was to have his men clean up the cemetery and open the road where people could go in there if they wanted....this place is mega old. He is now a "Hero" and the cemetery is now being used again and has not been abandoned in Oklahoma......His men Fenced around the Cemetery so that the cattle wouldn't get in on the Graves and the people of the community now keep it up real nice.....there was one marker that just had a first name.....no date, nothing....kinda strange...
    Abandoned Oklahoma is a website dummy.......

Abandoned Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ================================================== ==========
    The guy probably owns the property but it's a true shame that cemetery land of old is neglected.....I don't mean manicured like Resthaven but the old Graves probably don't have any Relatives left.....I know there's one in Wilson, Oklahoma...(taken care of however) that my Great Grandfather is buried in and his headstore is a bag of Sakrete with his name and date put in with a stick. My Great-Great--Great aunt is buried there also....She was tough and onery...Carried a pistol til she died....
    A lot of my relatives are buried around Wilson. Got my hair cut in Ringling once. One of my grandfathers was the county clerk of Love Co..

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Abandoned Oklahoma is a website dummy.......

Abandoned Oklahoma
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Duh:...........i thought it was a book, I know there were a lot of pictures on the original story posted on this Forum....

O.K., check the other thread that this is with...PapaOu said it was just a WebSite...There are sure some good pictures....

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    A lot of my relatives are buried around Wilson. Got my hair cut in Ringling once. One of my grandfathers was the county clerk of Love Co..
    I know this thread wasn't started to discuss cemeteries in particular, but a several members of my mother's family, including my grandparents and 4 uncles and aunts, are buried in a cemetery called Odessa in southwestern Oklahoma between Gotebo and Hobart. I know it's a bit morbid to some, but I love cemeteries - especially older ones. They are so personal and beautiful in a haunting (no pun intended) way. Odessa is in the middle of nowhere-almost looks like it was initially started when someone on a wagon train died and they buried them there. It is a small cemetery with a white picket fence around it. There is a small school or chapel adjacent to it that it long since abandoned. I would say that there are no new plots available, and there are only about 100 people there. I've always said I wanted to be buried there someday, but now it looks like Sunnylane will be my final resting place.

Sorry, now

Quote Originally Posted by TeriOKC View Post
    I know this thread wasn't started to discuss cemeteries in particular, but a several members of my mother's family, including my grandparents and 4 uncles and aunts, are buried in a cemetery called Odessa in southwestern Oklahoma between Gotebo and Hobart. I know it's a bit morbid to some, but I love cemeteries - especially older ones. They are so personal and beautiful in a haunting (no pun intended) way. Odessa is in the middle of nowhere-almost looks like it was initially started when someone on a wagon train died and they buried them there. It is a small cemetery with a white picket fence around it. There is a small school or chapel adjacent to it that it long since abandoned. I would say that there are no new plots available, and there are only about 100 people there. I've always said I wanted to be buried there someday, but now it looks like Sunnylane will be my final resting place.

Sorry, now
    I too enjoy old cemeteries and I don't think that it is morbid. Alot of history can be learned there. I have visited cemetaries across the U.S.. In the N,E. in NY. NJ. PA. and further N. are some very old history to be learned. Now, Gotebo is really in the middle of no where (which I have been to) but, the Odessa site I have never heard of. I'll have to goggle that and see what I can find. Sunnylane is good I guess. Doesn't matter to me where my remains may end up. I would like to be creamated and shot into space like Tim Leary...Yeah...

I too enjoy old cemeteries and I don't think that it is morbid. Alot of history can be learned there. I have visited cemetaries across the U.S.. In the N,E. in NY. NJ. PA. and further N. are some very old history to be learned. Now, Gotebo is really in the middle of no where (which I have been to) but, the Odessa site I have never heard of. I'll have to goggle that and see what I can find. Sunnylane is good I guess. Doesn't matter to me where my remains may end up. I would like to be creamated and shot into space like Tim Leary...Yeah...
    Kinda like a Clingon funeral, huh? Except they just shot the unembalmed body into space in a "casket capsule"! :-) My only requirement is that the cemetery be predominantly headstones. I HATE the ones (like Resthaven) that ONLY have flat markers. So impersonal. Just looks like a field.

Have you ever been to the "Dexter Tx, Cemetery?" It's just N.W. of Whittesboro , Tx

it's considered a ghost town, took my kid's there, they had a ball!!

just tie me to a team of gophers and let them loose...

if you're interested on cool, old cemeteries, check out this one in norman.

warren cemetery has been around since the turn of the century but as you can see it is now completely surrounded by a neighborhood.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post

warren cemetery has been around since the turn of the century but as you can see it is now completely surrounded by a neighborhood.

-M
    You can only get into that area from the south entrance now. I knew some of the people buried there.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post

-M
    I moved 5 yrs ago from Brookfield Drive after 15 yrs which is 2 blocks north of the cemetery. My kids were teenagers when we moved there and they found that place in a hurry!! They would take their friends over there to try and scare them. It is a very odd location....

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    I moved 5 yrs ago from Brookfield Drive after 15 yrs which is 2 blocks north of the cemetery. My kids were teenagers when we moved there and they found that place in a hurry!! They would take their friends over there to try and scare them. It is a very odd location....
    ================================================== =========
    Makes sense. ...... You've been considered and odd guy sometimes.....

I had never heard of this Red Ridge Estate so I had to go see it for myself. Its down an overgrown road right in the middle of OKC and is pretty creepy.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

where is this treasure located?????

Since this is tending heavy towards the cemetery side I have a question that's puzzled me for a while. Newcastle...it seems to be a town or city without a cemetery. Is, or was, there one? Does anyone know? I mean, Newcastle's been around for years.

By the way, Red Ridge Estate does indeed look like a treasure.

Is that by I-44 and Lincoln? It looks familiar to me but far fewer trees than I remember if it is the same place.

I would like to know the general vicinity of The Red Ridge Estate so that I could Google satelite view it.

just south of i-44 between lincoln & kelley. -M

Thread Information