Widgets Magazine

Thread: Ugly Betty canceled?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ugly Betty canceled?

Was anyone else a fan?

Default Re: Ugly Betty canceled?

Me! I'm sad that it's been cancelled. I feel like there's alot of story left to tell & I don't feel like ABC really gave it a chance to redeem itself in the ratings, especially since I think ABC is largely responsible for the ratings dive they took. Sending them to Friday nights was like the kiss of death.

I know plenty of women who watched it religiously. You might get lucky and find it on another network like Llifetime or USA.

Production costs, I imagine, were very high.

Actually, they'd recently lowered their production costs substantially by moving the filming to NY from LA. Apparently they get some kind of break if they film in NY & since it's SET in NY they were able to lower costs because they had fewer stage sets. At least that's what they said to justify the move when it happened lol. Either way, ratings were slipping. They had multiple long hiatuses (in addition to the standard summer break) and when they brought it back, it was at a different time. It used to be aired before Grey's, and it was a good fit. UB, Grey's, and Private Practice. They tried moving Private Practice to a new night & their ratings started to tank. Lucky for PP, they got moved back to the slot after Grey's. UB got moved to Fridays so ABC could test out new shows before Grey's (The Deep End & something else, can't remember). UB ratings fell horribly. When Eastwick bombed on Weds night, they got moved to Weds to better fit with the half hour comedies (Modern Family, The Middle, CougarTown). Ratings improved but not enough. What sucks is that they only gave them 2wks in their new Weds slot to improve and they were not only on a new night but a new later time as well. Didn't really give casual fans a real chance to FIND it again.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDarkstar View Post
    Actually, they'd recently lowered their production costs substantially by moving the filming to NY from LA. Apparently they get some kind of break if they film in NY & since it's SET in NY they were able to lower costs because they had fewer stage sets. At least that's what they said to justify the move when it happened lol. Either way, ratings were slipping. They had multiple long hiatuses (in addition to the standard summer break) and when they brought it back, it was at a different time. It used to be aired before Grey's, and it was a good fit. UB, Grey's, and Private Practice. They tried moving Private Practice to a new night & their ratings started to tank. Lucky for PP, they got moved back to the slot after Grey's. UB got moved to Fridays so ABC could test out new shows before Grey's (The Deep End & something else, can't remember). UB ratings fell horribly. When Eastwick bombed on Weds night, they got moved to Weds to better fit with the half hour comedies (Modern Family, The Middle, CougarTown). Ratings improved but not enough. What sucks is that they only gave them 2wks in their new Weds slot to improve and they were not only on a new night but a new later time as well. Didn't really give casual fans a real chance to FIND it again.
    Since that got a really good answer, I hope it is fair to ask why Earl got cancelled last year. As much as it strained at credulity, it was still the funniest thing on TV even compared to the other NBC Thursday lineup. Anyone happen to know what their excuse was?

Thread Information