Widgets Magazine

Thread: Deep Deuce

Default Deep Deuce

So I went to deep deuce tonight for a little dinner, beer, thunder/olympic watching. I like the place, for sure a neighborhood feel which is cool but good grief that place is a rip off. I dont mind paying for what I get but my tab was $47 (pre tip). I had 6 boulevard wheats, sliders and a side salad. I enjoy the place but I could get just as much beer if not more and dinner at almost any other place in the city for that price. Its too bad because I like the place but that is just too steep for me.

2. Default Re: Deep Deuce

Looks like we need price regulations on food, the same as for gas. Frickin' gougers!

3. Default Re: Deep Deuce

I can't comment on the alcohol prices since I don't drink, but the menu itself is very reasonable and actually less expensive than it was with the former operators. And this time around, the food and service is pretty good.

4. Default Re: Deep Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by icecold View Post
    So I went to deep deuce tonight for a little dinner, beer, thunder/olympic watching. I like the place, for sure a neighborhood feel which is cool but good grief that place is a rip off. I dont mind paying for what I get but my tab was $47 (pre tip). I had 6 boulevard wheats, sliders and a side salad. I enjoy the place but I could get just as much beer if not more and dinner at almost any other place in the city for that price. Its too bad because I like the place but that is just too steep for me.
    What were the beers? $5 ea? That is a little high for Boule Wheat on draft...

Default Re: Deep Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    What were the beers? $5 ea? That is a little high for Boule Wheat on draft...
    $4.75. Thought that was steep. The food prices are reasonable. Just seems when I go to BWW or (well thats basically it if I am watching a sporting event) my tab is normally around 25 +/- . Oh well, only a month or so to go until I can decide between BWW and Republic.

6. Default Re: Deep Deuce

$4.75. Thought that was steep. The food prices are reasonable. Just seems when I go to BWW or (well thats basically it if I am watching a sporting event) my tab is normally around 25 +/- . Oh well, only a month or so to go until I can decide between BWW and Republic.
    I get the impression that RePUBlic will be around the same cost as the Deuce, but I don' tknow for sure.

Boulevard is a sad, misunderstood beer at times. It's often treated and priced as a premium beer, but truly, it's very popular, is brewed just 5 hours away, and is treated by consumers as something not quite premium, but not a domestic. I think $4.00 is about the most that should ever be charged for one.

I get the impression that RePUBlic will be around the same cost as the Deuce, but I don' tknow for sure.

Boulevard is a sad, misunderstood beer at times. It's often treated and priced as a premium beer, but truly, it's very popular, is brewed just 5 hours away, and is treated by consumers as something not quite premium, but not a domestic. I think $4.00 is about the most that should ever be charged for one.
    Very good point on Boulevard. On my way home I was just thinking of the beers that I could have had at McNellies for $4.75. Live and learn I guess, bottles only for me at Deep Deuce, that is make it back there since its a once a blue moon when I do go.

Boulevard is probably one of my least favorite beers ever.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBob View Post
    Boulevard is probably one of my least favorite beers ever.

I obviously dont mind it, but I was going to have some Coop but they no longer had it on tap and the last time I was at McNellies that had taken Coop off of tap as well. Anyone know why?

10. Default Re: Deep Deuce

I obviously dont mind it, but I was going to have some Coop but they no longer had it on tap and the last time I was at McNellies that had taken Coop off of tap as well. Anyone know why?
    Are you sure OKC McNellie's took COOP off tap? Not that I know for myself, but I have trouble believing that...

11. Default Re: Deep Deuce

I heard the same from a friend concerning McNellies severing Coop. He's a "mug" owner and he's swearing off McNellies until they bring Coop back. Odd for such a place to cut off a local brand with such rising popularity.

The last two times I've been there they have not had any coop and don't really have a reason why when I asked about it.

13. Default Re: Deep Deuce

Hmmm, I'd like to know why! We might need an expose' piece, Steve!

Coop? Don't get this where I go--Baker Street, Dan O'Briens... What kind of beer and where is it made?

Coop is brewed right here in OKC. Check out their site at coopaleworks.com

Are you sure OKC McNellie's took COOP off tap? Not that I know for myself, but I have trouble believing that...
    Its true. Both of the bartenders at McNellies and at DD told me that they no longer serve COOP. Sucks, I like it. I would like to know because I doubt it was to lack of drinking. Tuck, are you all still serving? I am assuming since I think you just had a COOP dinner in Norman but I could be thinking of something else.

17. Default Re: Deep Deuce

Its true. Both of the bartenders at McNellies and at DD told me that they no longer serve COOP. Sucks, I like it. I would like to know because I doubt it was to lack of drinking. Tuck, are you all still serving? I am assuming since I think you just had a COOP dinner in Norman but I could be thinking of something else.
    They have COOP on tap at Iron Starr on Shartel. Also, they have Choc on tap.

18. Default Re: Deep Deuce

I was worried about the price point of COOP at most places. Although you can get it for $4 for a Zep at Picasso's on Paseo. That's about as cheap as it gets.

I'm happy to pay a premium for a craft beer brewed here in my city. However, I'm not willing to pay $6 for it, and not 8 or 9 for their Imperial. They may price themselves out of the market.

Shiner Bock did it the right way: for years and years they were the "cheap" beer around that part of Texas. As their brand grew, their marketing changed and now they're sold as a premium. But they built the brand first and played on local pride.

How many people haven't heard of COOP? Shouldn't they market as OKC's beer? Shouldn't they make it accessible?

19. Default Re: Deep Deuce

Never heard of COOP before this thread. I will have to check it out.

Chris
    Radio OKC - Where it's all about the music!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I can't comment on the alcohol prices since I don't drink, but the menu itself is very reasonable and actually less expensive than it was with the former operators. And this time around, the food and service is pretty good.
    Steve, I respectfully disagree about the reasonable menu...I took a client to lunch there last week, our tab consisted of two below average chicken caesar salads and two iced tea's and the pre-tip total was $27.09. Now the service was great and the atmosphere was pretty much the same, but here's the bottom line...It's lettuce, a chicken breast and water run through a teabag. I won't be going back.

Dangit, now I'm craving a beer.....

I was worried about the price point of COOP at most places. Although you can get it for $4 for a Zep at Picasso's on Paseo. That's about as cheap as it gets.

I'm happy to pay a premium for a craft beer brewed here in my city. However, I'm not willing to pay $6 for it, and not 8 or 9 for their Imperial. They may price themselves out of the market.

Shiner Bock did it the right way: for years and years they were the "cheap" beer around that part of Texas. As their brand grew, their marketing changed and now they're sold as a premium. But they built the brand first and played on local pride.

How many people haven't heard of COOP? Shouldn't they market as OKC's beer? Shouldn't they make it accessible?
    Well, they seem to be doing extremely well despite the price. More power to them, people are obviously willing to spend the cash on an extremely good local beer.

Why should a private business have to "make it accessible"? If you don't like it, why not try your hand at the business?

Back to the topic - haven't been back to DD since the new management took over, hope to soon.

23. Default Re: Deep Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Well, they seem to be doing extremely well despite the price. More power to them, people are obviously willing to spend the cash on an extremely good local beer.

Why should a private business have to "make it accessible"? If you don't like it, why not try your hand at the business?

Back to the topic - haven't been back to DD since the new management took over, hope to soon.
    My comments were directed at their success. I want them to be successful. I want their beers proliferating. I'm pretty sure I probably spend more on dining out and drinking out than most anyone on the board. I have some pretty good consumer experience with about what a beer should and shouldn't cost around OKC, given current prices, etc. I'm merely concerned their pricepoints will keep the locals buying bud light for half the price. I even offered up a great success story about how a local brewery made it happen. I'm not sure why you're being half-smartass about me starting up a brewery.

$6 for less than a pint is not a good price point for this beer. Now, that's up to some of the restaurants, granted. But take for instance: I had a great DNR at the Drunken Fry last night for $5. It was less than a pint, but that's sort of their flagship offering, and it's high alcohol content which drives the price a little. Makes sense to me.

I've also paid for $10 for one pint of COOP Aleworks beer at Prohibition Room. Do you think that's a good pricepoint? I'll never order it there again, and I'll probably never order that particular beer again, although it was a seasonal so the options are limited.

I think I paid $6 or $7 for a fake pint (one of those glasses with the heavy bottom that make it less than a pint) at Iguana. That's an unacceptable price to me. I mentioned it to Ryan there, and they supposedly changed the price. I wouldn't know- I won't order it again.

At some point, even beerphilic people like myself have a limit on what they'll spend. And I don't mind spending.

24. Default Re: Deep Deuce

This thread almost needs to be split. I saw on Facebook that McNellies in OKC will bring COOP back on tap after St Patrick's Day.

We went to Deep Deuce patio on Sunday.
    Gorgeous weather - so happy to find an open patio (Mamasita's is closed on sunday?! and we are seriously missing Flips)

We had the chips & salsa appetizer -- we are salsa snobs and were satisfied -- comes with 2 bowls of salsa - one had plenty of zing and other was more of a pico and very fresh.

I had the Basil Pesto chicken sandwich - comes w/waffle fries.
    Portion was big - bread was awesome - toasted & crispy outside, soft inside - it was similar to a hoagie. They get their bread from Prairie Thunder - I want to get some too!

Husband had their philly steak sandwich he was also pleased.

We had excellent service, even though they only staffed one waitress for the patio - and it was full.

Give it another try! I'm so happy to eat on the patio (also is dog friendly) this time of year! We went to Sauced after, so I could have a mimosa and the dog could have more socializing.

Thread Information