Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358 ... LastLast

Thread: Automobile Alley

1. Default Re: Automobile Alley

Says who? I say they're not. I'd rather a vacant lot stay that way then be converted to paved parking; especially when there isn't a parking shortage to begin with. OKC's parking perception is very askew. At least when a lot is vacant it doesn't contribute to the heat island effect, it doesn't produce nasty runoff, it doesn't promote continued usage of empty lots as parking lots, and I could go on.

How many parking lots have we really built upon versus created? I think your theory is giving too much credit to what is a southern city, a car-culture city. I don't expect or "believe that something will be built immediately on every empty lot", but I would like to NOT see most of them converted to parking lots LONG BEFORE anything else will replace them.

On edit: Just to clarify, I'm not an extremist on this issue. I'm not pulling my hair out over a couple new parking lots, it's just that 8th and 9th street can be something very cool in this city, and a parking lot isn't very exciting. Lol.

Default Re: Automobile Alley

I saw on OKCbiz that Schlegel bicycles plans to open a store across from their current location. Would this be a location from which they rent bikes? I think that would be a great idea to help encourage alternate modes of transportation downtown.

Also, it says that a new florist is set to open in Plaza Court. Momentum continues...

I saw the Schlegel sign in the building next to Hideaway Pizza last weekend, I wasn't sure what was going on.

I remember reading that the west side store would be more of a "family store" with bikes in the casual riding price range, probably kids' bikes and rentals. The store on the east side of Broadway will be for serious bicyclists.

Yes, that is correct

6. Default Re: Automobile Alley

So there are going to be TWO Schlegel locations, right across the street from one another? That's cool! I figured they were just relocating across the street.

7. Default Re: Automobile Alley

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I remember reading that the west side store would be more of a "family store" with bikes in the casual riding price range, probably kids' bikes and rentals. The store on the east side of Broadway will be for serious bicyclists.
    Very glad to see them expanding. They must be doing well. The current store is extremely well done. You would think it was a national chain by the way it's set up.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

8. Default Re: Automobile Alley

Any news on whether RawHide is performing well? What about the nice liquor store? RedPrime? Always hoped they'd thrive and they're still there so hopefully they have.

9. Default Re: Automobile Alley

I don't know how RawHide is performing, but I have to say as another downtown retailer that it is super-impressive inside. If you haven't been, you should really check it out.

10. Default Re: Automobile Alley

I think RawHide and others will be helped by the plan to put in diagonal parking. But if it's not Project 180 or Core to Shore these days, it seems as if it's put on a back burner.

11. Default Re: Automobile Alley

Well, Project 180 will surely benefit all downtown districts - even the ones not directly touched - so I'm OK with that particular prioritization.

Default S&B's Burger Joint

I follow Urban Neighbors on twitter and they said S&B's was expanding to 9th street.

Here is the post:

"Soon the smell of grilled onions will fill the air! S & B's Burger Joint is expanding to 9th Street this Fall. @SBBurgerjoint #downtownokc"

Any info on this?

13. Default Re: S&B's Burger Joint

Had heard some rumors. Great news. I love that place, but don't love driving to the boondocks to eat there.

Just kidding about the boondocks...used to live only blocks away. But I really have gotten cranky about driving north of about 50th or so since spending a number of years downtown.

Default Re: S&B's Burger Joint

If it's 9th St., maybe they'll go into the Mel's garage building? I know the Womb gallery isn't going to use the entire space.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I don't know how RawHide is performing, but I have to say as another downtown retailer that it is super-impressive inside. If you haven't been, you should really check it out.
    I had read that business was good in the beginning?

Building permit issued today for a small restaurant at 18 NW 9th; this is a vacant lot across from Iguana.

Blog Entries

Had heard some rumors. Great news. I love that place, but don't love driving to the boondocks to eat there.

Just kidding about the boondocks...used to live only blocks away. But I really have gotten cranky about driving north of about 50th or so since spending a number of years downtown.
    Boondocks? Seriously? They are at May and NW Expressway. May not be in your neighborhood, but certainly not in the boondocks. If you were in NYC, 57th street is in the middle of town.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Building permit issued today for a small restaurant at 18 NW 9th; this is a vacant lot across from Iguana.
    Some of the best and most creative sliders and burgers in town. Great addition to the area. Probably one of 3 best burger joints in OKC area. It is good they are adding a place downtown. Since they are getting more well known it is more crowded.

706 N. Broadway (8,070 square feet) was recently sold for $525,000 to something called F&R-6312 LLC.

They have already submitted plans for renovations (first photo is a 'before'):

Certainly seems to be a lot of competition for restaurants in the AA/Midtown area. I wonder if they will all survive

The 110 place says it is event planning, or something like that. Burgers are an item not currently available on AA, so there's still quite a bit of diversity of cuisine. As more people move downtown, both to work and live, more restaurants are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    That vacant lot is usually quite full of cars during dining hours. There's going to be a parking crunch, which is perhaps part of the plan for 8th St.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Certainly seems to be a lot of competition for restaurants in the AA/Midtown area. I wonder if they will all survive
    Luckily there's a downtown housing boom accompanying this restaurant boom, though I can see difficulty if the restaurants outpace the housing too quickly.

betts, this should be a small building so most the parking should remain -- at least for now.

The permit is only for 642 square feet -- very tiny.

Yes it is and doing well per Angie.

Also, "Treasures Past" that used to be at the traffic circle at 10th/Walker is moving into the old Bicycle Alley location in our building. They had a disagreement with their landlord but still wants to stay downtown thus the move to Bicycle Alley. Furniture is being moved in at night.

Coffee Slingers is still planning in putting in a roastery.

The burger joint is planned for an old "shed" over on 9th unless they have changed plans.

Thread Information