Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156 ... LastLast

Thread: Automobile Alley

Default Re: Automobile Alley

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Spartan - blah blah blah. If you don't like me, that's ok. It's not required. We don't have to agree either. That's the beauty of a forum. I'm shocked people have different opinions in the world (sarcasm).

By the way, i no more need to explain my experience than you do. And if only professionals in every field were allowed to comment on each topic here, you and I both know that neither of us would be commenting as much as we do. This forum is where the community comes to discuss topics, which we do. I don't expect you to agree with everything I say, nor do I really care. You have your opinion on how certain things work, i have mine. Personally, I don't pay as much attention to the folks that plaster on every single thread every day, and generally the closer to the 18-19 y/o age, the less I pay attention. Only because they have yet to experience enough of how things work. That's not a comment to you though...i believe you're older than that, if I remember correctly.

But leave the personaly attacks at home. I flung the mud after it got thrown at me. But I'm able to turn around and get back to the discussion at hand and leave personality issues behind. Can you say the same?

It also appears that the retail that is going in the AA area follows what I was purporting. If we could get the CoC to get their project off the ground, it could serve as a great "anchor" in the area. There are so many awesome buildings in that area all the way to 235. The retail for

I know I'll catch some flack for this, but wouldn't a small grocer work great for 1100? And if we're trying to attract more residential to the area, a gas station wouldn't hurt either. Doesn't have to be a large OnCue...just a couple pumps...heck doesn't even have to be on a corner. That's one thing that always bugs me when Im in the CBD; how far you have to go to get to fuel and food. And the fuel is often in the less than pleasant areas.
    I wasn't attacking you or flinging mud at you by talking to you about sustainability. Are you so politically polarized that you think that's a dirty word? Why does discussing sustainability offend you? That's what I was thrown off balance by.

And yes, I'm very glad we're back to a civil tone, this is progress.

By the way, there are relatively "upscale" gas stations at the following locations: NW 13th and Broadway, NW 4th and Walker, E Reno and Lincoln, and a few other places. That's pretty okay for a square mile region.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    This is what needs to happen in OKC. The City has to find a way to make something like this possible.

http://www.vabeachtowncenter.com/

If Virginia Beach can find away to do it OKC should be able to.
    That may be a very nice development but it's not easy to tell from the website. It doesn't appear to be in a particularly urban area.

I'm growing weary of posts that follow the mold of...

THIS is what OKC needs to do!
    [insert out of state development here]

4. Default Re: Automobile Alley

Well AA HAD an identity back when it really was Automobile Alley. But that became a sacrifice we paid when we sprawled. What the city has been trying to do for 20 years, is force the identity to stick again and make it into something it hasn't been for a very very very long time. The same thing is sort of happening in Film Row.

I'm very glad that they are at least trying though. The alternative is that it gets ignored and we get crap or empty buildings that are falling apart. What we HAVE gotten in AA is an attempt to at least do SOMETHING. There are businesses there, you can live there....not much to eat there, but there is the bank presense, grab some coffee. You know, maybe a small book store would be a good option. Man if Forward Foods could have built there instead of Western, that would have been a GREAT option for groceries for all the foodies in Midtown.

Maybe we could convince Native Roots to come in? It's really a pretty similar scape to Main. Hell, that seems to be what people want AA to turn into these days. Why not look at what's going on there and try and match some of it? There's a freaking copy/paste that could work if I've ever seen one.

I think that a number of the already-established local specialty grocers are looking downtown, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

What would you suggest then?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That may be a very nice development but it's not easy to tell from the website. It doesn't appear to be in a particularly urban area.
    It is in downtown Virginia Beach. The point was that they took ground floor space in multiple office buildings and put it all under one management company. Imagine if one management company controlled the ground floor retail space of every building downtown. They would be able to fill it because they could work multiple deals with retailers.

Blog Entries

I agree in so much as most in this genre never really relate to our situation here. I think the idea of suggesting a like possibility is okay, it is just that most that seem to be posted here ignore most of the things that would make them a legitimate possibility HERE. Maybe someone should just start a thread for people to post "Other urban developments I like".

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I agree in so much as most in this genre never really relate to our situation here. I think the idea of suggesting a like possibility is okay, it is just that most that seem to be posted here ignore most of the things that would make them a legitimate possibility HERE. Maybe someone should just start a thread for people to post "Other urban developments I like".
    This x 1000000000000.

Found these renderings for 1100 N. Broadway on the website for the architect in England that is also doing LEVEL. Probably just a concept at this point, but pretty fully developed and it looks very cool:

I must have completely missed any new announcement on this, can you explain it a little more?

I don't think there's been an announcement or an article or anything like that.

Yeah, no announcements, just the renderings on an architect's website.

I love this plan though! Especially how they use the existing auto dealership doors on the north side and then use the downstairs for parking and retail. The apartment layouts look really slick as well.

AA needs more residents and this would certainly help.

14. Default Re: Automobile Alley

I posted this development and the updated renderings a page back. Also had a link back to the site. Sigh. Oh well, at least people are paying more attention to that now.

I think it's highly likely that it will be completed seeing the clients are Midtown Renaissance.

Looks like the files have been removed from the web site. Remember the good ole days when OKCTalk was more underground and less mainstream. Back then we could post anything we wanted and nobody would neither know or care.

Well, looks like we'll have to start saving back-up copies if that is the case. I find it's always interesting to save copies for when old proposals get forgotten anyway. To this day I wish I had some renderings of the alternate proposals OCURA has thrown by the wayside throughout the years...

Well, looks like we'll have to start saving back-up copies if that is the case. I find it's always interesting to save copies for when old proposals get forgotten anyway. To this day I wish I had some renderings of the alternate proposals OCURA has thrown by the wayside throughout the years...
    Make sure you save a copy of the Skirvin expansion then. It will go on Emporis has 'Proposed but never built'.

18. Default Re: Automobile Alley

Careful then. That sort of stuff could be copyrighted material simply by being created by someone. So you saving it and then posting it on Flikr or something for our thread could be a violation. The image itself doesn't have to have a copyright logo on it...they can blanket anything on their site. I'm guilty of it too, but I've heard some horror stories of people that do that and get in a lot of trouble. Although, it seems to me if you didn't want it OUT there, why put it on your website.

19. Default Re: Automobile Alley

I usually copy the source of the image and just post that. I never save the image onto my computer. I wonder what's up though, guess this one doesn't have a good chance to see the light of day after all. Haha.

Salient points, Bomber. I find lavishing lots of praise on the architectural genius of the designers is always a helpful tool.

Images have reappeared!

And for the most part, people that put images out on the Internet are trying to promote themselves, their projects, etc. It's very rare that anyone contacts us and ask us not to use them and in those cases, we happily oblige.

In post #26 I mentioned a new building permit to renovate the building below at 725 N. Broadway.

Turns out, it's for the executive offices of Hibdon Tire:

I thought Hibdon's was bought out by Firestone. Was I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    I thought Hibdon's was bought out by Firestone. Was I wrong?

I believe you are correct on the purchase. My very limited understanding is it included the right to use the Hibdon name as well. I don't trade there so I don't know what differences may or may not exist after the sale.

It would almost seem like Hibdon could afford a nice executive office?

Thread Information