Widgets Magazine
Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 752535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1534

Thread: Automobile Alley

Default Re: Automobile Alley

The Womb is an absolute nothing... Just a black hole with paint.

It would help to redevelop the building directly east of S&B.

2. Default Re: Automobile Alley

The primary developer of the area west of the tracks is Steve Mason. I think mostly he got busy with investment in Plaza District and other places - including nearby properties on Broadway - and now of course has ambitious work underway in a Capitol Hill. I suspect it has just been a lower priority. Hopefully he has a chance soon to re-focus on the remaining places where he can do infill.

The property east of the tracks was primarily developed by Earl Neighbors and has very successful cash flow as storage units and offices, so I would not expect much to change there.

3. Default Re: Automobile Alley

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Womb is an absolutely nothing... Just a black hole with paint....
    Not 100% accurate. True that much of the building - especially the upstairs - is storage for the Flaming Lips’ tour equipment, lighting, backdrops, etc., but the downstairs includes offices and production facility (used daily) for their visualist, who produces videos, performance visuals, etc., and who also does same for other artists and some business clients. Also, about half of the building downstairs is essentially event space in the form of an avant-garde art gallery, though admittedly this is rarely utilized.

Okay, so a small part of 20,000 square feet is used as office space by a few people.

Don't think there has been anything else happening there for quite a while now -- as in well over a year.

5. Default Re: Automobile Alley

Well...you did say “absolutely nothing” and I did say “not 100% accurate.”

True!

The point is, the place is dead for all intents and purposes.

I would love to see the Womb become more of a public space. Jack White's Third Man Records in Nashville is a great little record store/memorabilia shop. Fun tourist spot. The Womb could do this and go even further with the amount of space they have. Throw in a small coffee shop and the hipster crowd would eat it up. Maybe.

That's just not true! I wish there were more events there, but it is open for parties and events semi regularly. It's also offices, storage and production space for the lips. Some of their newer videos were filmed there. I see multiple vehicles outside almost weekly including wayne's, his gf's, that dude with the long grey hair that helps out with their stuff. Also, I've heard there is some very exciting stuff coming that will be open to the public regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    As I was on 8th street checking out the new Prairie space today, I was thinking about how 9th street was kind of the hot new spot in OKC 7-8 years ago. I remember there being discussions about more development on the street, but surprisingly, none of those empty buildings or lots have been developed unless I missed something. It's a great little street, but it could use a new project to add some excitement and activity. I've always thought the street would be a wonderful place for dense mixed-use resiential as there's already kind of a neighborhood feel with the businesses on the street. Any ideas why there's been nothing done here in so long?
    That sycamore tree in front of Nashbird is probably the most gorgeous and majestic in all of downtown okc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    That's just not true! I wish there were more events there, but it is open for parties and events semi regularly. It's also offices, storage and production space for the lips. Some of their newer videos were filmed there. I see multiple vehicles outside almost weekly including wayne's, his gf's, that dude with the long grey hair that helps out with their stuff. Also, I've heard there is some very exciting stuff coming that will be open to the public regularly.
    Okay, so three people.

When was the last event held there? How many this year?

It's a 20,000 SF structure that is highly underutilized.

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    I would love to see the Womb become more of a public space. Jack White's Third Man Records in Nashville is a great little record store/memorabilia shop. Fun tourist spot. The Womb could do this and go even further with the amount of space they have. Throw in a small coffee shop and the hipster crowd would eat it up. Maybe.
    Well, they already opened a Dwelling Spaces store there and I guess it didn't do well enough to stay open...

Well, they already opened a Dwelling Spaces store there and I guess it didn't do well enough to stay open...
    And the space has stayed empty since. Several years now.

That only speaks for Dwelling Spaces.

It's a 20,000 SF structure that is highly underutilized.
    For active public uses, absolutely. But I've heard of some exciting things that will change that the near future.

15. Default Re: Automobile Alley

That only speaks for Dwelling Spaces.
    Dwelling spaces was an excellent fit, actually, and run by a very experienced operator with years of experience in Tulsa's Blue Dome. It was just well before its time in that location. Retail of that type requires a density of other retailers and/or a large amount of foot traffic; neither of which existed at the time. Nowadays such a retailer might have a shot with some density of retail nearby and some level of foot traffic (though still not a lot).

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Dwelling spaces was an excellent fit, actually, and run by a very experienced operator with years of experience in Tulsa's Blue Dome. It was just well before its time in that location. Retail of that type requires a density of other retailers and/or a large amount of foot traffic; neither of which existed at the time. Nowadays such a retailer might have a shot with some density of retail nearby and some level of foot traffic (though still not a lot).
    Any chance Dwelling Spaces could make another go of it or has that ship sailed?

17. Default Re: Automobile Alley

Nick I think that ship has sailed. The flagship Dwelling Spaces (now moved to The Boxyard) is not even owned by the same person, who sold it a while back.

HangryHippo Guest

Nick I think that ship has sailed. The flagship Dwelling Spaces (now moved to The Boxyard) is not even owned by the same person, who sold it a while back.
    Thanks for the reply, Urbanized.

19. Default Re: Automobile Alley

You're welcome; happy to be of help. I think we both agree that something cool and funky would be great to see in that retail space.

I was told by one of the band members that they are in the process of creating a major recording studio there.

I agree. What is different about what I am proposing is that it would be a Flaming Lips-centric shop geared towards their history, including memorabilia, etc., not a typical local retailer. In addition to all of the wacky things you would expect to see, they could sell records and merch from a number of other artists. If done correctly, I think it would be a cool destination spot in the city, much like Third Man Records is for Nashville.

I agree. What is different about what I am proposing is that it would be a Flaming Lips-centric shop geared towards their history, including memorabilia, etc., not a typical local retailer. In addition to all of the wacky things you would expect to see, they could sell records and merch from a number of other artists. If done correctly, I think it would be a cool destination spot in the city, much like Third Man Records is for Nashville.
    That sounds awesome.

23. Default Re: Automobile Alley

Wayne was very involved with the product selection of the Dwelling Spaces in that location, and they carried TONS of lips merch, posters, shirts, recordings, etc.

24. Default Re: Automobile Alley

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I was told by one of the band members that they are in the process of creating a major recording studio there.
    That’s great if so. I know they’re kind of outgrowing Pink Floor (the studio behind Wayne’s house) as they have started to record other artists there. Pink Floor was also built a little on the cheap as I don’t think initially they intended to do much more than cut demos there with the plan to still do most studio work, mixing, etc at Tarbox (upstate NY, where they’ve recorded for years) or elsewhere.

As it turns out they really started to like working close to home, and also can sell studio services to other artists. Makes sense that they would want to build a more high-end studio, and maybe get away from what’s essentially a janky (but cool) outbuilding in a back yard in Classen Ten Penn.

Blog Entries

I noticed last night that the new running store on AA now has a neon blade sign up. Was driving and didn't get a pic.

Thread Information