Widgets Magazine
Page 266 of 383 FirstFirst ... 166216261262263264265266267268269270271316366 ... LastLast
Results 6,626 to 6,650 of 9575

Thread: Streetcar

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Thank you for the information. Are these evaluations a presentation or anything for the public to view? Or was this simply the committee and city coming to this conclusion?

Reason I ask is because I am curious what the alternatives were. I know I keep being annoying about it, but I was really hoping to get those funds aimed more toward the individual stops and technology at the shelter level.

Thanks again, and I too, wish the meetings were in the evenings.
    I think the decision to purchase another vehicle was a wise move. System reliability will be the ultimate factor for success of the system. The Denver A-Line to the airport has a completely tarnished record because it is so unreliable. The stops are modern, the train cars are clean, and it is fast when it works. When it works is a toss of the coin and thus many are hesitant to put their vacation plans at the mercy of it and instead Uber, yellow cab, or drive and park to the airport still. Many employees don't risk their job on the (un)reliability of the train and instead choose to drive or car-pool with other coworkers.

It would be a mistake for OKC to not put operational reliability at the absolute top of the priorities (aside from safety). We can always improve stops and rider technology, but we need to make sure the system is on time and people can rely on it. It's not the same as the Denver airport line, but the premise is the same: if the system is to work, people need to be able to depend on it so much as to not use their car. If people don't trust it, they won't use it. Establishing that trust is crucial in the first few months of operation as that is when people will be exposed to it for the first time. The Denver A-Line burned me once (train broke down and I was 2 hours late for work and cost me an attendance point as well as loss of income for time missed) and I refuse to even try it again, it's not worth the risk to my career. OKC must take this seriously, and so far it seems they are.

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

As much as I like the idea of a street car, why are people opposed to a bus (even a nice one that looks like a street car) that can adapt to new routes? I see Dallas offers free downtown bus service - perhaps even on Sundays!
    http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/ci...llum-downtown/

Blog Entries

OKC has had free downtown bus service for almost two decades!!! How many of you have ridden it? Whenever I ride it I find it usually sparsely used...

Blog Entries

(started out as the MAPS I trolleys and became Route 50)

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    As much as I like the idea of a street car, why are people opposed to a bus (even a nice one that looks like a street car) that can adapt to new routes? I see Dallas offers free downtown bus service - perhaps even on Sundays!
    http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/ci...llum-downtown/
    You said the reason in your post. Many people, especially transit novices, visitors, and tourists do not trust buses because they are not fixed in the ground. If I am traveling somewhere and I see they have a train system, I will purposely book a hotel or AirBNB on or within walking distance to the line. I know it's going to be there when I arrive. A bus route might change by the time I make my vacation. Fixed rails instill more confidence in a rider than buses which can be moved route to route with nearly no notice. Also, if I see the rail I know the train will come. if I am at a bus stop how do I know? Maybe they are taking a detour today bypassing my stop, and since I am from out of town I am not in the loop on the changes. There's plenty of examples as to why fixed rails are the most reliable form of transit.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    OKC has had free downtown bus service for almost two decades!!! How many of you have ridden it? Whenever I ride it I find it usually sparsely used...
    Me!

But it isn't user friendly. It's very difficult to figure out how to get to a destination. If you don't have a cell phone with google maps it would be nearly impossible to know exactly how to get somewhere and when the buses will arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Me!

But it isn't user friendly. It's very difficult to figure out how to get to a destination. If you don't have a cell phone with google maps it would be nearly impossible to know exactly how to get somewhere and when the buses will arrive.
    Even then it's not an easy task. If there's an accident or a traffic slowdown or anything the buses get off schedule fairly easily, and the "real-time tracking" system that EMBARK provides is honestly not as mobile optimized (or as reliable) as it should be. Routes and times change too easily, as well, as catch said. Sometimes even when you're in the loop they take you by surprise!

And then of course there is the fact that many regular bus users don't have smartphones in the first place. Can't tell you how many times I've been asked to or have offered to let a fellow passenger use my phone to try to help figure out where they're going. Buses are the easiest transit for cities and other governments to set up but the hardest for people to use.

Quote Originally Posted by riflesforwatie View Post
    Even then it's not an easy task. If there's an accident or a traffic slowdown or anything the buses get off schedule fairly easily, and the "real-time tracking" system that EMBARK provides is honestly not as mobile optimized (or as reliable) as it should be. Routes and times change too easily, as well, as catch said. Sometimes even when you're in the loop they take you by surprise!

And then of course there is the fact that many regular bus users don't have smartphones in the first place. Can't tell you how many times I've been asked to or have offered to let a fellow passenger use my phone to try to help figure out where they're going. Buses are the easiest transit for cities and other governments to set up but the hardest for people to use.
    Here anyway. I have lived in cities abroad that are very sprawling (not as bad as okc but sprawling enough to compare) and those cities have every stop listed for every bus that stops at a particular stop. It tells you what stops are transfer stops. It was very easy and reliable.

(gosh I need to stop saying stop in this post about busses and stops.)

Walking around Bricktown yesterday, it is weird to see all the construction for the streetcar, a lot of blocked off lanes and equipment - but no easy-to-see actual work? I suppose they are still staging all the gear for the tear up.

Traffic for the regular season NBA game was pretty absurd with all the construction on EKG and the streetcar in BT... Playoff and warmer seasons bringing more people out is going to really create chaos. Just have to remind everyone complaining that it will be worth it in the long haul!

Is this project entirely funded though the MAPS Funds or are there other sources involved like TIF money or donations? Omaha is trying to get a streetcar up and running by 2021 and just recently announced the potential funding sources and I am trying to compare and contrast the systems in a few other cities building new systems like OKC, KC and Milwaukee and would love any info about funding that could be explained.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

100% maps

Blog Entries

for the rail/cars, etc. Santa Fe station had some kind of matching grant I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    for the rail/cars, etc. Santa Fe station had some kind of matching grant I believe.

That is correct. The $120 million budget for the streetcar is being entirely paid for with MAPS 3 funds voted into existence by the voters.

An additional $10 million was used to successfully apply for a Federal Matching grant. ODOT, ACOG, and further city monies contributed another $4million. The Federal Government gave us a matching $14 million equaling a $28 million total project above and beyond the streetcar system.

Thanks! OKC's ability to get a city wide sales tax increase for these things is pretty unique it seems.

Utility relocation has started on 10th street.

Something interesting mentioned by the Oklahoman's William Crum.
    http://m.newsok.com/article/5539854

Approved plans to have Jacobs Engineering Group study the feasibility of converting the streetcars to autonomous vehicles at some point in the future, eliminating the need for drivers to guide the vehicles along the route. The study is part of a $420,100 amendment to the contract with Jacobs for streetcar engineering and design services.

This is explained and discussed at 2:03

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLw...&v=KOF0bPVCrNw

Streetcar committee question...so, once up and running, has their been discussion on the single fare price, will they have kiosks all over the place ? will the streetcar have a bikerack too?

also, i saw one can purchase the embark 30 Day Unlimited Pass for $50 currently, so will the streetcar and embark busses be integrated, or are they going to operate as separate entities? if integrated, i imagine they will want to rise some price on the overall system pass, but at least the streetcar route is going to go N on Hudson, then turn east on NW 4th, I still haven't see stop points along the route, I imagine it will make some effort to have a connecting stop with the bus transit center.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Streetcar committee question...so, once up and running, has their been discussion on the single fare price, will they have kiosks all over the place ? will the streetcar have a bikerack too?

also, i saw one can purchase the embark 30 Day Unlimited Pass for $50 currently, so will the streetcar and embark busses be integrated, or are they going to operate as separate entities? if integrated, i imagine they will want to rise some price on the overall system pass, but at least the streetcar route is going to go N on Hudson, then turn east on NW 4th, I still haven't see stop points along the route, I imagine it will make some effort to have a connecting stop with the bus transit center.

Some of these are Embark questions and not necessarily committee questions. I'll do the best I can, though. We haven't discussed pricing at length but I recall it being in concert with typical bus pricing. Kiosks and phone app. Cross platform passes for easy transfers. Monthly/weekly passes. Some of the stops are designed to be dual purpose stops for both buses and streetcars. This enables easy transfers at multiple points in the system. Bikes can be wheeled directly onto the streetcar in the central bay. Pet's will be allowed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    You said the reason in your post. Many people, especially transit novices, visitors, and tourists do not trust buses because they are not fixed in the ground. If I am traveling somewhere and I see they have a train system, I will purposely book a hotel or AirBNB on or within walking distance to the line. I know it's going to be there when I arrive. A bus route might change by the time I make my vacation. Fixed rails instill more confidence in a rider than buses which can be moved route to route with nearly no notice. Also, if I see the rail I know the train will come. if I am at a bus stop how do I know? Maybe they are taking a detour today bypassing my stop, and since I am from out of town I am not in the loop on the changes. There's plenty of examples as to why fixed rails are the most reliable form of transit.
    Good point!

You never know what to expect if you plan any trips based on bus transportation within a given city. The rail lines aren't likely to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    I say this with no inside info but the current price structure for EMBARK passes was set sometime before 2013 when gas was around $3/gal or more. So I could see an increase from including the streetcar but given low fuel prices I bet the increase will be smaller than you might think, or may be workable in the current fare structure.

https://twitter.com/_Bricktown/statu...45871002435589

First section of @OKCStreetcar track on public route is moving into place. Track will now be lifted, straightened, leveled, concrete poured.

Best I can tell this is on Joe Carter outside IHOP.

^^ Correct ...In the Southbound lane.

When I went by yesterday they told me they were laying rail on Tuesday. Guess they're ahead of schedule. That's not a bad thing!

There is an electronic sign by St Anthony's that says Streetcar work will start on Monday in this area. Anybody have any idea how traffic will be impacted?

Thread Information