Widgets Magazine
Page 84 of 383 FirstFirst ... 347980818283848586878889134184 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 9575

Thread: Streetcar

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    The transit group did a study and found that a vast majority of the people will not walk more than 2 blocks to catch a streetcar. This is consistant with transit studies done by multiple other reserachers all over the world. If you have to waste one block just making part of a round trip then that only leaves you one block on either side.

Europe is probably the most rail adjusted population on the planet and their isn't a single couplet based system on the continent. Even the US only has a few system that use couplets; Portland, Phoenix, and 4 blocks in Seattle. On top of that, Portland and Phoenix used couplets because of one-way streets.
    Kerry. Your issue over the couplets is getting annoying, to be blunt. You are the only person who is raising this issue. Everyone else is either overwhelmingly for the idea, or opposed to streetcar altogether. Pick a side, man..

By the way, Europe actually did not build most of their cities around trams. They already existed for the most part, in fact, in terms of the urban planning, large European cities practically ALL prefer subway systems because the built environment above ground is already a masterpiece, and too sensitive to cover in track. Apples and oranges. Furthermore, European cities have limitless budgets for public transit. OKC has $120 million.

Are you opposed to both Robinson and Broadway having streetcar frontage? I think it could be a positive for both and I'm glad we don't have to be torn between arguing for either Robinson OR Broadway, although I know which one I would unequivocally prefer if I had to chose (Broadway).

Kerry, I think at this point, we would all like to invite you to join the mainstream of the discussion...

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Kerry. Your issue over the couplets is getting annoying, to be blunt. You are the only person who is raising this issue. Everyone else is either overwhelmingly for the idea, or opposed to streetcar altogether. Pick a side, man..

By the way, Europe actually did not build most of their cities around trams. They already existed for the most part, in fact, in terms of the urban planning, large European cities practically ALL prefer subway systems because the built environment above ground is already a masterpiece, and too sensitive to cover in track. Apples and oranges. Furthermore, European cities have limitless budgets for public transit. OKC has $120 million.

Are you opposed to both Robinson and Broadway having streetcar frontage? I think it could be a positive for both and I'm glad we don't have to be torn between arguing for either Robinson OR Broadway, although I know which one I would unequivocally prefer if I had to chose (Broadway).

Kerry, I think at this point, we would all like to invite you to join the mainstream of the discussion...
    Spartan - your entire post was non-sense. Every city in Europe was built around streetcars, most of which were dismantled because of the needs of WWII. I can post a 1000 pictures of streetcars going through the materpieces of Europe - many of them put back in place in the last 15 years. Places like France are finally putting them all back in. Building couplets cost more than building double track and disrupts twice as many businesses. As proposed, Broadway and Robinson would be under construction at the same time.

These tracks were put in about 5 years ago in Bordeaux, FR.

"Building couplets cost more than building double track and disrupts twice as many businesses. As proposed, Broadway and Robinson would be under construction at the same time," Kerry

This isn't correct Kerry. Couplets traditionally have cost less in American cities as the utilities can be shifted from one side of the street to the other. Only the Automobile Alley section of Broadway is large enough to mover everything because of street widths and it would be extremely invasive to the district. Because Project 180 is narrowing streets to make the street widths more "crossable" and pedestrian friendly, manhole covers and other obstructions have fewer places to go. Therefore, the couplet will actually work well for us in terms of cost savings.

Also, both streets will probably not be under construction at the same time. We are probably going to follow an innovative construction technique pioneered in Portland that involves a "streaming" process." Individual block sections would be under construction for only 3 week segments rather than the entire length at one time.

Spartan - your entire post was non-sense. Every city in Europe was built around streetcars, most of which were dismantled because of the needs of WWII. I can post a 1000 pictures of streetcars going through the materpieces of Europe - many of them put back in place in the last 15 years. Places like France are finally putting them all back in. Building couplets cost more than building double track and disrupts twice as many businesses. As proposed, Broadway and Robinson would be under construction at the same time.

These tracks were put in about 5 years ago in Bordeaux, FR.

Kerry, this is just frustrating me, so I'm going to try and explain this calmly without putting everything in all caps. I was in Bordeaux recently. In case you aren't aware, I'm living in Sweden at the moment. Trust me, I know Europe very well. In the last 2 months alone I've been to 14 countries, none of which were the U.S. or Canada. This is not my first time on the ground in Europe either, and trust me, I've studied the hell out of Europe before I got here, too.

You are using Google streetview screenshots to tell me what Europe is like. Do you see where that could be frustrating?

Furthermore, I am on the ground here studying urban design in countless cities. I have a weekly seminar on spacial relations of cities here. Most European cities, especially the parts with trams, are often 300-600 years old. I assure you that tram technology did not exist back then, no matter what you come across on Google, even if you come across something that says LOUIS the 16th put the trams in Bdx, it is false, don't believe it. Please. The simple truth is that European cities were designed with walking distance in mind, and they masterplanned cities to create a sense of the monumental. They played on the same sensory presence that modern urban planning is trying to "return to" today.

Actually, to clarify the point I made up earlier, most European cities prefer SUBWAYS for many reasons. First of all, it involves tearing up less on the surface. Second of all, it can serve larger numbers of people that way. These cities with endless transit budgets (for example, many have a yearly budget of $1 Billion with a 'B' just for the express purpose of building new metro stops) are going for the highest ridership numbers in the world, obviously American cities aren't there yet. For all the cities you show screenshots of trams, there are many much larger ones that mainly prefer the subway as the main mode of transportation. Off the top of my head, cities that mostly rely on subways (or metros): London, Paris, Moscow, Berlin, Warsaw, Madrid, Barcelona, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Milan, Rome, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Prague, Vienna, Munich, Brussels, and countless more.

I can think of very few cities where the tram is the preferred mode of public transit. Amsterdam definitely, first and foremost. Here in Scandinavia, they're popular in Copenhagen, Oslo, and especially in Gothenburg. And yes, smaller French cities are also turning to the tram. But please realize that except in the case of Scandinavia which has "newer" cities for the most part, that these tram systems are much newer than their surroundings. It's not even close.

And lastly, many European cities actually have really bizarre spacial relationships with the trams. It's hard to explain, but in many cases, the trams really feel like they detract from the intended environment of a street, as it was designed hundreds of years ago. Often they have chosen broader thoroughfares for trams and created awkward islands in the middle of roads, or sometimes they weave through awkward-spaced gaps in the city.

So in Europe, the tram serves as a very functional mode of transportation, and cars are always full of people. But there are few opportunities for "TOD" because the cities are already built. Most neighborhoods in the centers are already gentrified. And so on. They didn't have urban renewal in Europe. They didn't have the white flight. Suburbs are actually really bad places, here. There is new construction, but for the most part, the historic city centers have been religiously preserved. It's an entirely different ballgame, Kerry.

So do you really want to play this game of, "For OKC, let's ignore Portland and Seattle, and focus more on Bordeaux" ?? You just sound so incredulous, and there are countless more important things for us to be talking about in this thread than your obsession against couplets. I remember when I first told you "oh, and the system will be couplets, that's already a done deal." Your reaction was at that time, again, incredulous. You insisted that there was no way they would go with couplets because it wasn't possible to do. Well, guess what, they chose couplets. And furthermore, I hope you'll come around when the system is built so you can watch it work its magic. It's going to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    "Building couplets cost more than building double track and disrupts twice as many businesses. As proposed, Broadway and Robinson would be under construction at the same time," Kerry

This isn't correct Kerry. Couplets traditionally have cost less in American cities as the utilities can be shifted from one side of the street to the other. Only the Automobile Alley section of Broadway is large enough to mover everything because of street widths and it would be extremely invasive to the district. Because Project 180 is narrowing streets to make the street widths more "crossable" and pedestrian friendly, manhole covers and other obstructions have fewer places to go. Therefore, the couplet will actually work well for us in terms of cost savings.

Also, both streets will probably not be under construction at the same time. We are probably going to follow an innovative construction technique pioneered in Portland that involves a "streaming" process." Individual block sections would be under construction for only 3 week segments rather than the entire length at one time.
    Jeff, this is absolutely incredible. Words can not express how impressed I always am by the work of your committee, not to mention how forthcoming you always are with information. You guys really have thought through everything.

If I haven't said it enough, thanks for everything you're doing for the city. This project is going to be the most progressive thing that has hit this city in decades.

Kerry, this is just frustrating me, so I'm going to try and explain this calmly without putting everything in all caps. I was in Bordeaux recently. In case you aren't aware, I'm living in Sweden at the moment. Trust me, I know Europe very well. In the last 2 months alone I've been to 14 countries, none of which were the U.S. or Canada. This is not my first time on the ground in Europe either, and trust me, I've studied the hell out of Europe before I got here, too.

You are using Google streetview screenshots to tell me what Europe is like. Do you see where that could be frustrating?

Furthermore, I am on the ground here studying urban design in countless cities. I have a weekly seminar on spacial relations of cities here. Most European cities, especially the parts with trams, are often 300-600 years old. I assure you that tram technology did not exist back then, no matter what you come across on Google, even if you come across something that says LOUIS the 16th put the trams in Bdx, it is false, don't believe it. Please. The simple truth is that European cities were designed with walking distance in mind, and they masterplanned cities to create a sense of the monumental. They played on the same sensory presence that modern urban planning is trying to "return to" today.

Actually, to clarify the point I made up earlier, most European cities prefer SUBWAYS for many reasons. First of all, it involves tearing up less on the surface. Second of all, it can serve larger numbers of people that way. These cities with endless transit budgets (for example, many have a yearly budget of $1 Billion with a 'B' just for the express purpose of building new metro stops) are going for the highest ridership numbers in the world, obviously American cities aren't there yet. For all the cities you show screenshots of trams, there are many much larger ones that mainly prefer the subway as the main mode of transportation. Off the top of my head, cities that mostly rely on subways (or metros): London, Paris, Moscow, Berlin, Warsaw, Madrid, Barcelona, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Milan, Rome, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Prague, Vienna, Munich, Brussels, and countless more.

I can think of very few cities where the tram is the preferred mode of public transit. Amsterdam definitely, first and foremost. Here in Scandinavia, they're popular in Copenhagen, Oslo, and especially in Gothenburg. And yes, smaller French cities are also turning to the tram. But please realize that except in the case of Scandinavia which has "newer" cities for the most part, that these tram systems are much newer than their surroundings. It's not even close.

And lastly, many European cities actually have really bizarre spacial relationships with the trams. It's hard to explain, but in many cases, the trams really feel like they detract from the intended environment of a street, as it was designed hundreds of years ago. Often they have chosen broader thoroughfares for trams and created awkward islands in the middle of roads, or sometimes they weave through awkward-spaced gaps in the city.

So in Europe, the tram serves as a very functional mode of transportation, and cars are always full of people. But there are few opportunities for "TOD" because the cities are already built. Most neighborhoods in the centers are already gentrified. And so on. They didn't have urban renewal in Europe. They didn't have the white flight. Suburbs are actually really bad places, here. There is new construction, but for the most part, the historic city centers have been religiously preserved. It's an entirely different ballgame, Kerry.

So do you really want to play this game of, "For OKC, let's ignore Portland and Seattle, and focus more on Bordeaux" ?? You just sound so incredulous, and there are countless more important things for us to be talking about in this thread than your obsession against couplets. I remember when I first told you "oh, and the system will be couplets, that's already a done deal." Your reaction was at that time, again, incredulous. You insisted that there was no way they would go with couplets because it wasn't possible to do. Well, guess what, they chose couplets. And furthermore, I hope you'll come around when the system is built so you can watch it work its magic. It's going to be great.
    that is a very very good post i could not agree more .. i think vienna is a great example of the street car feeling awkward it just doesn't fit in well with the wonder buildings and city

Jeff, this is absolutely incredible. Words can not express how impressed I always am by the work of your committee, not to mention how forthcoming you always are with information. You guys really have thought through everything.

If I haven't said it enough, thanks for everything you're doing for the city. This project is going to be the most progressive thing that has hit this city in decades.
    again i agree .. the sub committee has done a wonderful job thus far ..

7. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Every city in Europe was built around streetcar! Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by TStheThird View Post
    Every city in Europe was built around streetcar! Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
    While streetcar might have been a poor choice of words - many of them were built around rail. In cities where density was already significant by the mid 1800's they obviously went with subways. However, there are far more cities in Europe with streetcars than there are with subways. In fact, it isn’t even close. Here is a list someone compiled on Skyscraper City.

According to this there are 54 subways in Europe - the rest are all lightrail or streetcar (tram).

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=65822

Metro (Subway)/ Lightrail networks

LR=Light Rail
    M= Metro(Subway)
    M+LR = either Metro/light Rail combination, or seperate metro and Light Rail lines

Armenia
    Yerevan (1981) 13.4km M

Austria
    Gmunden-Vorchdorf (1912) 14.7km LR
    Vorchdorf-Lambach (1903) 15.5km LR
    Lambach-Haag (1901) 26.3km LR
    Linz-Postlingberg (1898) 2.9km LR
    Linz-Waizenkirchen (1912) 58.9km LR
    Salzburg (1886) 34km LR
    Serfaus (1985) 1.28km M
    Vocklamarkt-Attersee (1913) 13.4km LR
    Vienna (1865) 67km M+LR
    Wien-Baden (1873) 30.4km LR

Azerbaijan
    Baku (1967) 30.5km M

Belarus
    Minsk (1984) 16.4km M

Belgium
    Bruxelles (1976) 40.5km M
    De Panne-Knokke (1885) 55km LR

Bulgaria
    Sofia (1998) 5km M

Czech Republic
    Prague (1974) 59.3km M

Denmark
    Copenhagen (2002) 21km M

Finland
    Helsinki (1982) 21.1kmM

France
    Lille (1983) 45km M
    Lyon (1862-1978) 30km M
    Marseille (1977) 19km M
    Paris (1900) 243km M+LR
    Toulouse (1993) 12.5km LR
    Rennes (1997) 9.4km

Georgia
    Tbilisi (1966) 26.3km M

Germany
    Berlin (1902) 143km M
    Bochum-Gelsenkirchen (1989) 14.9km LR
    Bonn (1911) 26km LR
    Brannenburg (1912) 8km LR
    Essen (1977) 35.2km LR
    Frankfurt/Main (1968) 58km M+LR
    Garmisch-Partenkirchen (1929) 20km LR
    Hamburg (1912) 100km M
    Hannover (1872) 116.6km M+LR
    Königswinter (1883) 1.5km LR
    Lichtenhain-Cursdorf (1923) 2.5km LR
    Mannheim-Bad Dürkheim (1913) 16.3km LR
    Mannheim-Heidelberg (1868) 61km LR
    Munich (1971) 98.4km M
    Nürnberg (1972) 26.4kmM
    Strausberg (1893) 6.2km LR
    Stuttgart (1975) 84.2km M+LR
    Trossingen (1898) 4km LR
    Wuppertal (1903) 13.3km LR

Greece
    Athens (1904) 25.8km M

Hungary
    Budapest (1896) 206.8km M+LR

Ireland
    Dublin (200?) ??km M+LR

Italy
    Catania (1999) 3.8km M
    Genova (1929-2000) 5.5km M
    Milano (1964) 84.2km M
    Napoli (1993) 28km M
    Roma (1916-1955) 33.5km M
    Torino (2005) 9.6km M

Netherlands
    Amsterdam (1977-1990) 60.5km M+LR
    Rotterdam (1968) 75.9km M
    Utrecht-Nieuwegein (1983) 21.5km LR

Norway
    Oslo (1909-1966) 123 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (1909-1966) 123 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.4km M+LR

Poland
    Warszawa (1929-1995) 49.5kmM+LR

Portugal
    Lisboa (1959) 30km M
    Oporto (200?) ??km LR

Romania
    Bucuresti (1959) 59.2km M

Russia
    Kazan (2005) 7.7km M
    Moscow (1935) 282.52 M+LR
    Nizhni Novgorod (1985) 13km M
    Novosibirsk (1986) 13km M
    Sankt Peterburg (1955) 107km M
    Samara (1987) 12.5km M
    Ust-Ilimsk (1988) 14.6km LR
    Volgograd (1972) 12.8km LR
    Yekaterinburg (1991) 12km LR

Slovakia
    Poprad-Strbské Pleso (1912) 35.0km LR
    Strba-Strbské Pleso (1970) 5km LR

Spain
    Alicante (2003) 95km M+LR
    Barcelona (1892/1924) 106.4km M
    Bilbao (1995-2002) 60km M+LR
    Donostia (San Sebastian) (1882) 156km LR
    Gijón-Pravia (1909) 64km LR
    Madrid (1919) 281.58km M
    Palma-Sóller (1912) 23km LR
    Santander (1892) 153km LR
    Valencia (1988) 127km LR

Sweden
    Lidingö (1907) 9.2km LR
    Nockebybanan (??) 5.6km LR
    Saltsjöbanan (??) 18.6km LR
    Stockholm (1877-1950) 113 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (1877-1950) 113 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.3km M+LR
    Tvärbanan (??) 11.5km LR

Switzerland
    Aarau (WSB) (1901) 32.3km LR
    Bern (1898-1912) 53.7km LR
    Bremgarten-Dietikon (1902) 18.8km LR
    Genève (1994) 15km LR
    Lausanne (1873) 22.6km LR
    Lugano-Ponte Tresa (1912) 12.2km LR
    Zürich (1875) 26.9km LR

Turkey
    Adana (??) 14km LR
    Bursa (??) 17km LR
    Istanbul (1989) 16.7km LR
    Izmir (??) 13km LR

Ukraine
    Dnipropetrovsk (1996) 11.2km M
    Kharkiv (1975) 26km M
    Kyiv (1969) 55.03km M+LR
    Kriviy Rih (1986) 11.6km LR

United Kingdom
    Birmingham (1999) 20km M+LR
    Glasgow (1896) 10.4km M
    London (1863) 408km M
    Newcastle/Tyne (1980) 59.3km M+LR

Tram (Street Car) networks (city proper, not metropolitan area)

Austria (AT)
    Gmunden: (1894) 2.5km
    Graz (1878) 30.3km
    Innsbruck (1891) 36km
    Linz (1880) 19.2km
    Wien (Vienna) (1865) 240km

Belarus (BY)
    Minsk (1892) 32km
    Masyr (1988) 22km
    Navapolatsk (1974) 11.3km
    Vitsyebsk (1898) 34.5km

Belgium (BE)
    Antwerpen (1873) 57km
    Bruxelles (1869) 205km
    Charleroi (1887) 20km
    Gent (1875) 30km

Bosnia Herzegovina (BA)
    Sarajevo (1895) 16km

Bulgaria (BG)
    Sofia (1901) 222km

Croatia (HR)
    Osijek (1884) 12km
    Zagreb (1891) 54.4km

Czech Republic (CZ)
    Brno (1884) 75.6km
    Liberec (1887) 21km
    Most (1957) 19km
    Olomouc (1889) 14.2km
    Ostrava(1894) 58.2km
    Plzen (1899) 26km
    Praha (Prague) (1875) 133km

Estonia (EE)
    Tallin (1888) 39km

Finland (FI)
    Helsinki (1891) 75km

France (FR)
    Bordeaux (2003) 27.4km
    Grenoble (1987) 32km
    Lille (1874) 22km
    Lyon (2001) 25km
    Marseille (1876) 3km
    Montpelier (2000) 15.2km
    Nantes (1985) 39km
    Orleans (2000) 18km
    Paris (1992) 20.4km
    Rouen (1994) 15.8km
    St Etienne (1881) 9.3km
    Strasbourg (1994) 24.6km

Under Construction:
    Bordeaux (2007) 20km under construction
    Grenoble (20/05/2006) 11.5km under construction
    Le Mans (2007) 15.4km under construction
    Lyon (200) 14.6km under construction
    Marseille (2007) 11km under construction
    Montpellier (03/01/2007) 19.6km under construction
    Mulhouse (13/05/2006) 12km under construction
    Nantes (2006) 2.2km under construction
    Nice (2007) 8.8km under construction
    Orleans (2007) 21km under construction
    Paris (2006-2008) 10.2km (7.9 + 2.3) under construction
    St Etienne (2006) 2km under construction
    Strasbourg (2008) 13.5km under construction
    Valenciennes (06/2006) 9.5km under construction
    Valenciennes (2007) 8.5km under construction

Germany (DE)
    Augsburg (1881) 31.6km
    Bad Schandau (1898) 8.1km
    Berlin (1865) 189.4km
    Bielefeld (1900) 26.1km
    Bochum-Gelsenkirchen (1894) 87.8km
    Bonn (1891) 28.7km
    Brandenburg (1897) 19.6km
    Braunschweig (1879) 34.3km
    Bremen (1876) 58.6km
    Chemnitz (1880) 22.3km
    Cottbus (1903) 23.7km
    Darmstadt (1886) 41.8km
    Dessau (1894) 13.1km
    Dortmund (1881) 75.5km
    Dresden (1872) 131km
    Duisburg (1881) 58.6km
    Düsseldorf (1876) 146.3km
    Erfurt (1883) 29.3km
    Essen (1893) 94.2km
    Frankfurt/Main (1872) 63.4km
    Frankfurt (Rhein Main metro region) 125km
    Frankfurt/Oder (1898) 25.1km
    Freiburg/Breisgau (1902) 27.5km
    Gera (1892) 14km
    Görlitz (1882) 13.4km
    Gotha (1894) 26.3km
    Hagen (19??) ??km
    Halberstadt (1887) 8.3km
    Halle (1882) 84.5km
    Heidelberg (1885) 19.7km
    Herne (19??) ??km
    Jena (1901) 21.4km
    Karlsruhe (1877) 149.9km
    Kassel (1877) 47.4km
    Kohlfurth (1995) 1.2km
    Köln (Cologne) (1877) 191.2km
    Krefeld (1883) 46km
    Leipzig (1872) 152.6km
    Ludwigshafen (1878) 30.2km
    Magdeburg (1877) 60.9km
    Mainz (1883) 21.9km
    Mannheim (1878) 58km
    Mülheim/Ruhr (1897) 32.4km
    München (Munich) (1876) 78.5km
    Nordhausen (1900) 8.7km
    Nürnberg (1891) 42.1km
    Oberhausen (1996) 9.6km
    Plauen (1894) 17.3km
    Potsdam (1880) 27.5km
    Rostock (1881) 33km
    Saarbrücken (1997) 17.5km
    Schönberger Strand (1996) 0.3km
    Schöneiche (1910) 15.2km
    Schwerin (1881) 22.2km
    Strausberg (???) 6.2km
    Stuttgart (1864) 10.9km
    Ulm (1897) 5.8km
    Woltersdorf (1913) 5.6km
    Wuppertal (1901) 13.3km
    Würzburg (1892) 19.4km
    Zwickau (1894) 9.1km

Greece
    Athens (2004) 26km

Hungary (HU)
    Budapest (1866) 156km
    Debrecen (1911) 6km
    Miskolc (1897) 9km
    Szeged (1884) 15km

Italy (IT)
    Messina (2003) 7.7km
    Milano (1876) 287km
    Napoli (1875) 23km
    Roma (1882) 65.9km
    Sassari (Sardinia) (2006) 2.5km
    Torino (1872) 150km
    Trieste (1883) 5.2km

Latvia (LV)
    Daugavpils (1946) 25.2km
    Liepaya (1899) 14km
    Riga (1882) 123km

The Netherlands
    Amsterdam (1875) 138km
    Den Haag (1864) 128.1km
    Rotterdam (1879) 67km

Norway (NO)
    Bergen (1997) 0.4km
    Oslo (1875) 152.5km
    Trondheim (1901) 8.8km

Poland (PL)
    Bydgoszcz (1880) 32km
    Czestochowa (1959) 10.5km
    Elblag (1894) 14km
    Gdansk (1873) 50km
    Gorzów WLKP (1899) 14km
    Grudziadz (1896) 9.5km
    Katowice (1894) 245km
    Krakow (1882) 79.5km
    Lodz (1898) 113km
    Poznan (1880) 85km
    Szczecin (1879) 40km
    Torun (1891) 11km
    Warszawa (1865) 119km
    Wroclaw (1877) 85km

Portugal (PT)
    Lisboa (1873) 72km
    Porto (1872) 13.9km
    Sintra-Atlantico (1903) 3km

Romania (RO)
    Arad (1896) 45.5km
    Botosani (1991) 11km
    Braila (1900) 15km
    Brasov (1987) 6.7km
    Bucuresti (1874) 155km
    Cluj-Napoca (1987) 11.5km
    Constanta (1984) 42km
    Craiova (1987) 19km
    Galati (1899) 35km
    Iasi (1900) 64km
    Oradea (1905) 20km
    Ploeisti (1987) 18.5km
    Resita (1988) 9.5km
    Sibiu (1905) 10km
    Timisoara (1899) 42km

Russia (RU)
    Achinsk (1967) 19.5km
    Angarsk (1953) 48.4km
    Arkhangelsk (1916) 37.3km
    Astrakhan (1900) 41.3km
    Barnaul (1948) 61.5km
    Biysk (1960) 35.7km
    Chelyabinsk (1932) 79.4km
    Cherepovets (1956) 13.9km
    Cheryomushki (1991) 5.9km
    Dzerzhinsk (1933) 43.2km
    Irkutsk (1947) 20.7km
    Ivanovo (1934) 20.7km
    Izhevsk (1935) 37.8km
    Kaliningrad (1881) 51.5km
    Kazan (1875) 75.3km
    Kemerovo (1940) 44.4km
    Khabarovsk (1956) 37.3km
    Kolomna (1948) 20.2km
    Komsomolsk-na-Amure (1957) 20.9km
    Krasnoarmeisk (1959) 10.2km
    Krasnodar (1900) 56.6km
    Krasnoturinsk (1954) 10.2km
    Krasnoyarsk (1958) 38.8km
    Kursk (1898) 46.1km
    Lipetsk (1947) 54.5km
    Magnitogorsk (1935) 71km
    Moskva (Moscow) (1872) 418.8km
    Naberezhnye (1973) 43.9km
    Nizhnikamsk (1967) 29km
    Nizhni Novgorod (1896) 100km
    Nizhni Tagil (1937) 54.5km
    Noginsk (1924) 13.7km
    Novocherkassk (1954) 21.3km
    Novokuznetsk (1933) 70km
    Novosibirsk (1934) 90.3km
    Novotroisk (1956) 15.1km
    Omsk (1936) 65km
    Orel (1898) 17.4km
    Orsk (1948) 34.9km
    Osinniki (1960) 11.6km
    Perm (1929) 64.5km
    Prokopyevsk (1936) 41.3km
    Pyatigorsk (1904) 20.7km
    Rostov-na-Donu (1887) 60.1km
    Ryazan (1963) 12.4km
    Sankt Peterburg (1863) 692km ??? Possibly Track length
    Salavat (1957) 18.3km
    Samara (1895) 91km
    Saratov (1887) 18.4km
    Shakhty (1932) 16,2km
    Smolensk (1901) 28.1km
    Stary Oskol (1981) 30km
    Taganrog (1932) 22.7km
    Tomsk (1949) 22.2km
    Tula (188) 46.1km
    Tver (1901) 45.5km
    Ufa (1937) 78.2km
    Ulan-Ude (1958) 28.4km
    Ulyanovsk (1954) 59.9km
    Usolye Sibirskoye (1967) 16.2km
    Ust-Katav (1973) 4.1km
    Vladikavkaz (1904) 26.4km
    Vladivostok (1912) 22.1km
    Volchansk (1951) 15.4km
    Volgograd (1913) 41.2km
    Volzhskiy (1963) 23.9km
    Voronezh (1891) 87.4km
    Yaroslavl (1900) 33.4km
    Yekaterinburg (1929) 89.3km
    Zlatoust (1924) 29.8km

Serbia (YU)
    Beograd (1885) 127.3km

Slovakia (SK)
    Bratislava (1895) 35.3km
    Kosice (1891) 33.6km
    Trencianská Teplá (1909) 5.4km

Spain (ES)
    Barcelona (1872/1997) 30km
    Bilbao (2002) 4.4km
    La Corunna (1997) 6.2km
    Murcia (2007) 2km
    Seville (2007) 1,3km
    Sóller (1913) 5km
    Tenerife (2007) 12,5km
    Valencia (1994) 9.8km
    Vitoria- Gasteiz (2004) 7.9km
    Madrid (????) 27.78

Sweden (SE)
    Göteborg (Gothenburg) (1879) 144km
    Malmö (1987) 1.4km
    Norrköping (1904) 13km
    Stockholm (1991) 2.6km

Switzerland (CH)
    Basel (1895) 139km
    Bern (1890) 17.6km
    Genève (1862) 10.2km
    Zürich (1882) 111.6km

Turkey (TR)
    Antalya (??) 4.8km
    Eskisehir (??) 15km
    Istanbul (1990) 11km
    Konya (??) 18km

Ukraine (UA)
    Avdiyivka (1965) 18km
    Dniprodzerzhinsk (1935) 43km
    Dnipropetrovsk (1897) 79km
    Donetsk (1928) 60.2km
    Druzhkivka (1945) 17.4km
    Horlivka (1932) 31.2km
    Kharkiv (1882) 132.2km
    Kyiv (1892) 139.9km
    Konotop (1949) 23.8km
    Kostyatinivka (1931) 25.7km
    Kramatorsk (1937) 19.2km
    Kriviy Rih (1935) 36.8km
    Luhansk (1934) 46km
    Lviv (1880) 38.2km
    Makiyivka (1935) 32.7km
    Mariupol (1933) 56.8km
    Molochne (1989) 1.5km
    Nikolayiv (1887) 37.1km
    Odesa (1910) 108.9km
    Stakhanov (1937) 18km
    Vinnitsya (1913) 21.2km
    Yenakiyeve (1932) 16.4km
    Yevpatoriya (1914) 17km
    Zaporizhzhya (1932) 54.8km
    Zhitomir (1899) 8.8km

United Kingdom (GB)
    Birkenhead (1995)0.8km
    Birmingham - Wolverhampton (1998) 20.4km
    Blackpool (1885) 18km
    London Croydon (2000) 28km
    Douglas (IOM) (1876) 2.8km
    Douglas-Ramsey (1893) 28.4km
    Llandudno (1902) 1.6km
    Leeds (????) ??km
    Manchester (1992) 32km
    Nottingham (????) ??km
    Seaton (1970) 5.2km
    Sheffield (1994) 3ß.5km
    South Hampshire (????) ??km

Commuter & Suburban Rail Networks:

Austria
    Vienna - 1579km

Belgium
    Brussels - 210km (Not full metro area)

Czech Republic
    Prague - 639.7km

Estonia
    Tallinn - 131.6km

Finland
    Helsinki - 60km

France
    Paris - 1401km (Ile de France, 5xRER lines and 5xSuburban lines)
    (571km for RER, 246 stations, Commuter 833km, 226 stations)

Germany
    Berlin - 3107 (Combined S-bahn and Heavy Rail commuter)
    Frankfurt - 1500km (complete Rhein Main commuter Rail)
    Stuttgard - 117km (Does not yet include R-bahn coverage)

Italy
    Milan - 250km (Only in official metro area, not including full commuter region)
    Rome - 470km
    Torino - 117km
    Napoli-Sorrento (1891) 144km LR (not including other Napoli commuter rail)

Netherlands
    Amsterdam, Rotterdam & Den Haag, amonsgt otehrs, forms a metropolitan area that should have a combined commuter network. Figures below are only within the direct urban area.
    Amsterdam - 128km
    Den Haag - 118km

Portugal
    Lisbon - 240km.

Russia
    Moscow - 3458km

Spain
    Barcelona - 566km
    Bilbao - 89.43km ( ET only )
    Madrid - 335.7km
    Seville - 30.1km (not full metro area)
    Valencia - 101.1km

Sweden
    Stockholm - 200km

Switzerland
    Geneva - 30.8km (Not full metro area)
    Zurich - 660km

United Kingdom
    Birmingham - 186km
    Glasgow - 109.3km
    London 4642km (Network South East commuter system (788km in city proper)
    Manchester - 292km

New
    Top Tram networks in Europe by city proper network over 100km (Route km)
    This list doesn't include the total trams within a metropolitan area. e.g. Frankfurt's metro area has three networks that are linked by S-bahn with a total of 125km. The Rhein Ruhr would also be enormous in total.

Sankt Peterburg: 692km (possibly track length, not route length)
    Moskva: 418.8km
    Milano: 287km
    Katowice: 245km
    Vienna: 240km
    Sofia: 222km
    Bruxelles: 205km
    Köln: 188.5km
    Berlin: 187.7km
    Budapest: 156km
    Bucuresti: 155km
    Leipzig: 152.6km
    Oslo: 152.5km
    Karlsruhe: 149.9km
    Düsseldorf: 146.3km
    Göteborg: 144km
    Kyiv: 139.9km
    Basel: 139km
    Amsterdam: 138km
    Kharkiv: 132.2km
    Dresden: 129.6km
    Den Haag: 128.1km
    Beograd: 127.3km
    Prague: 125km
    Torino: 123km
    Riga: 123km
    Warszawa: 119km
    Lodz: 113km
    Zürich: 111.6km
    Odesa: 108.9km
    Nizhni Novgorod: 100km

Let's chill about this. While there are a lot of different opinions, there was remarkable consensus on the committee with regards to the route, given the financial constraints that exist. It is unlikely to change, barring unforseen engineering issues, but it will hopefully only be a part of a wider network ultimately, that will increase the length of the route, the amenities and people it serves.

10. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

You misinterpret my jarring. I am not going to argue the mass quantities of rail transit in Europe.

I am laughing at the statement because the density in almost all of the cities you listed was well established before rail transit.

Quote Originally Posted by TStheThird View Post
    You misinterpret my jarring. I am not going to argue the mass quantities of rail transit in Europe.

I am laughing at the statement because the density in almost all of the cities you listed was well established before rail transit.
    I got you - no problem.

While streetcar might have been a poor choice of words - many of them were built around rail. In cities where density was already significant by the mid 1800's they obviously went with subways. However, there are far more cities in Europe with streetcars than there are with subways. In fact, it isn’t even close. Here is a list someone compiled on Skyscraper City.

According to this there are 54 subways in Europe - the rest are all lightrail or streetcar (tram).

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=65822

Turkey is not Europe. Haha..I had to. :P

Turkey is not Europe. Haha..I had to. :P
    Not entirely correct, Spartan.

http://geography.about.com/od/lists/...hcontinent.htm

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_conti...nent_is_Turkey

Haha..I had to.

Great hub meeting! It is officially Santa Fe! (by the Hub Committee and consultants)

Steve Lackmeyer was there and I am sure he will be writing about it.

Great hub meeting! It is officially Santa Fe! (by the Hub Committee and consultants)

Steve Lackmeyer was there and I am sure he will be writing about it.
    Will it include the parking lots by Zio's and the U-Haul building?

Zios probably. U-Haul to be determined in the next phase of analysis.

Thanks ljbab, I lived in Istanbul over the summer and was about to unleash some hate I crossed between Europe and Asia over the Bosphorus on a daily basis for three months.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post

A group of us from the Modern Transit Project are going to Dallas to see what their city officials are doing down there and to ride the demonstration streetcar. It should be fun although leaving at 4 am is going to be a bear.

Dallas Streetcar.pdf

A group of us from the Modern Transit Project are going to Dallas to see what their city officials are doing down there and to ride the demonstration streetcar. It should be fun although leaving at 4 am is going to be a bear.

Dallas Streetcar.pdf
    And I'm assume you'll be taking Amtrak?

Quote Originally Posted by Superhyper View Post
    Thanks ljbab, I lived in Istanbul over the summer and was about to unleash some hate I crossed between Europe and Asia over the Bosphorus on a daily basis for three months.
    Well, what do you think the European reaction might be of a country that is 99% Muslim (and doesn't have oil) trying to join the EU? Kind of hard not to scoff there, sorry. Europeans won't even embrace Russia, so why should they accept Turkey? Think about that.. and feel free to "unleash some hate" haha.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    And I'm assume you'll be taking Amtrak?
    Amtrak goes to Fort Worth. I'd have to leave a day early. Lol. So no. Driving unfortunately. Leaving at 4am at that.

Amtrak goes to Fort Worth. I'd have to leave a day early. Lol. So no. Driving unfortunately. Leaving at 4am at that.
    You guys should have taken an Oklahoma Spirit Trolley. Could you imagine rolling up in one of those. That would be funny.

You guys should have taken an Oklahoma Spirit Trolley. Could you imagine rolling up in one of those. That would be funny.
    BUT it would be missed by all of the riders who depend on it every day, downtown!

Well, what do you think the European reaction might be of a country that is 99% Muslim (and doesn't have oil) trying to join the EU? Kind of hard not to scoff there, sorry. Europeans won't even embrace Russia, so why should they accept Turkey? Think about that.. and feel free to "unleash some hate" haha.
    I'm not sure what you're scoffing at Spartan. Your statement was that Turkey is not in Europe which is not true. You were making fun of someone who suggested otherwise. You didn't say anything about the EU when you mentioned that. The EU is more of a political organization than geographical.

BUT it would be missed by all of the riders who depend on it every day, downtown!
    Nah, those three could of just shared a taxi.

Thread Information