Widgets Magazine
Page 34 of 383 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383984134 ... LastLast

Thread: Streetcar

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I agree. I'm simply talking about the trial they're talking about doing this winter in the article. I don't think it will necessarily be that instructive, in terms of what kind of ridership could be expected on a Norman-Guthrie train route, because of the existing lack of easy transit away from walking distance of the train station.
    Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I think a demonstration would great. Not only would it allow potential passengers to get an idea of the system but it will allow planners to see how long it actually takes to get from point A to Point B. Your're right though, without local service to get you on to point C it would be hard to get riders. Once again, this is why the downtown Streetcar needs to happen as soon as possible.

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense for it to go down to Norman instead, first? Norman has an actual Amtrak station, not to mention a walkable downtown area around it.
    ...not to mention about 20,000 students without cars that could use it to ride to OKC/Bricktown for the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    ...not to mention about 20,000 students without cars
    Ha, well I definitely wouldn't say that... but I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that OU students would be more inclined to give mass transit a try than say, Edmond commuters. OU students are very much SMU-wannabe students, so if we just call it the "DART for a Day" it'd be a huge hit here. LOL

Why not serve both? 530-10am serve Edmond-Downtown. 10a-2pm serve Norman to Bricktown, 2pm-6pm serve Edmond to Bricktown, then 6pm-10pm serve Norman to Bricktown.

Concentrate on business traffic during mornings and afternoons, serve leisure traffic noon and evenings.

That is an excellent idea, skywest. Would be a nightmare trying to schedule with BNSF and get their approval, but it would be worth it.

True. True.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Why not serve both? 530-10am serve Edmond-Downtown. 10a-2pm serve Norman to Bricktown, 2pm-6pm serve Edmond to Bricktown, then 6pm-10pm serve Norman to Bricktown.

Concentrate on business traffic during mornings and afternoons, serve leisure traffic noon and evenings.
    Assuming the track from Edmond to DT is same track as Norman to DT, it'd be an interesting balancing act to fit much added traffic on the existing track.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    The problem I see with this is that at this point in time, once you get off the train there's no reliable public transit to get you anywhere that's not within walking distance. So, if you work at St. Anthony's or the Health Sciences Center, you're probably not going to take the train. If you work farther west downtown, you may think it's too far to walk. We may not get a representative study of who would use the train once the streetcar is up and running, or if we had an efficient bus or trolley system currently in place. That's my concern.
    Well it is my understanding that the people discussing this possible trial are targeting people who already commute via the "City Link" bus system from Edmond and potential new riders enticed by the idea of train travel. Apparently, the discussions have included the idea of a local shuttle to get people directly where they need to go once they get to downtown. It is not far enough along yet to say that the local shuttles would directly reflect a streetcar route as we do not have one established yet.

Wow, this sounds very impressive Jeff. You have been busy, I see.

Wouldn't it make more sense for it to go down to Norman instead, first? Norman has an actual Amtrak station, not to mention a walkable downtown area around it.

I agree with OKC@Heart that it should be scheduled in celebration of the final route selection..
    Well thanks Spartan. Actually I think this is greatly the work of one of our board members Bob Kemper, with Charlie Joyner in collaboration with ODoT. Rep Branan may be involved in some capacity as well. ODoT has greatly increased it's support and involvement in potential rail projects.

I think that Norman hasn't been discussed as City Link has apparently been the earliest to respond with support at both ends of the line. As mentioned, scheduling issues are also a factor to work around freight traffic such as Amtrak does.

Jeff, do you think that the polling data from MAPS 3, which showed transit carrying the entire ballot, is to an extent affecting a mindset change in ODOT? At least toward the OKC area.. (And perhaps within other cities in Oklahoma i.e., Tulsa, Norman)

It will be interesting to see if other entities in Oklahoma heed it as a clear indicator that people in this state are indeed concerned about sustrainable transportation (that was a typo, but I'm leaving it..I like a good unintentional pun).

Jeff, do you think that the polling data from MAPS 3, which showed transit carrying the entire ballot, is to an extent affecting a mindset change in ODOT? At least toward the OKC area.. (And perhaps within other cities in Oklahoma i.e., Tulsa, Norman)
    No. I don't think that MAPS polling data has much of anything to do with anyone else but OKC and the CofC. I think that the changes at ODoT are partially due to new people with new perspectives moving into higher positions, a change in national funding that favors transit (at least in spirit) more favorably, and a bi-partisan support in the state legislature to towards transit in general. I also think that engineers in ODoT see that we are maximizing our highway corridors. It will become more and more difficult to expand existing highways without expensive right-of-way purchases. The actual traffic data shows the increasing congestion and if you have to travel to Norman or through the bottle neck on 235 during rush hour periods, it should be evident to you that it will become even more difficult as suburban development continues.

Transit was once though of as a transportation subsidy for poor people in dense urban areas by many. Now, current transit investment is becoming largely defined as the alternative to commuting by driving. The car has not left the equation nor shall it. It is still necessary to get people around their prospective suburb and/or town center. However, the "park and ride" concept is continually gaining steam in cities across the country. We are fortunate to have rail corridors with vacant space for dedicated commuter lines in the future.

As state legislators become more educated on the technical aspects of our possible systems in OKC and Tulsa, and they hear from constituents confronted with congestion or high gas spikes, they have responded in a bi-partisan manner. This is now very much a non-partisan matter. It is essential for future economic growth and prudent financial management of limited transportation resources. Regarding local reactions to MAPS, I would say that Norman has generally always been supportive of transit and Edmond has taken an advanced lead in resolving their own needs.

The MAPS vote may "fuel the fire" in a regional sense, as it shows commitment to what will become the nexus of what could be a regional transit system through the streetcar system and rail hub geared toward the future distribution and collection of commuters. Traditional transit users can only benefit as this regional system will expand their opportunity to travel greater distances to new jobs, shopping, and churches. It is a "win-win" for all.

This just released today....

Public Meetings Set for Downtown Transit

Let’s Talk Transit continues with the Greater Downtown Alternatives Analysis

The Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority (COTPA) is seeking input on the future development of public transportation in the greater downtown Oklahoma City area. COTPA is hosting two Let’s Talk Transit public meetings on August 26 at the Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library Auditorium.

The meetings are a part of an Alternatives Analysis (AA) study that is designed to investigate and present solutions for addressing public transportation in a specific geographic area. The outcome of this study will result in a plan that recommends the most appropriate route and transit technologies for the greater downtown area. The study boundaries roughly encompass the State Capitol to the north, Oklahoma River to the south, Lottie to the east and St. Anthony Hospital on the west. The AA is also one of the required steps to qualify the greater downtown area for federal transit funding.

An AA Steering Committee, made up of citizens and led by Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett, will receive and consider comments from the public. The committee has met to review input from transit consultants, city planners and engineers about both capital and operating costs and other infrastructure that must be considered.

“Public participation is a critical element of this study. Citizens and community stakeholders are encouraged to participate in the public meetings to learn more about the process and submit their ideas and questions,” said Rick Cain, administrator of COTPA.

Both meetings will be held at the Library located at 300 Park Ave. The lunchtime meeting will be noon to 1 p.m. The evening meeting will cover the same agenda from 6 to 7 p.m. Additional information about the transit planning process will be on display 20 minutes prior to each meeting.

Let’s Talk Transit is an initiative by COTPA to engage public opinions and stakeholders on current public transportation topics. To learn more about COTPA’s Alternatives Analysis and to follow the progress, visit www.LetsTalkTransit.com.

Why is the western boundary St Anthony's, whereas every other direction has the farthest flung boundaries possible? No love for Classen/Western?

14. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Why is the western boundary St Anthony's, whereas every other direction has the farthest flung boundaries possible? No love for Classen/Western?
    lol...there are more than a couple of reasons for that, I'm sure.

15. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

If anyone is interested, Seattle is proposing new streetcar line to be built connecting neighbourhoods surrounding the cbd (Capital Hill, First Hill, International District, Pioneer Square). This new route would be the second - the existing SLUT (South Lake Union Trolley) but would not directly connect to it (which is a weird idea IMO). Anyways, here is the website, which has two very nice films of the route. http://www.seattlestreetcar.org/firsthill.asp

I hope OKC can do something similar (both route AND info/films), but more grand.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Is their streetcar seriously called SLUT? Sorry but

17. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

haha, yeop.

it was initially called SLUT (South Lake Union Trolley), but after a year or so worth of jokes and laughs they changed the name officially to SLUS (South Lake Union Streetcar). but everyone still knows it as the SLUT and calls it the SLUT. hahahaha
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

In Seattle everyone rides the SLUT. It's a great ride, if I do say so myself.. I believe it goes through a new Hargreaves-designed park as well.

Click on the video to the right of our home page to see a detailed description. Its a really well done film.

www.mtpokc.com

I received the following survey in my email.

http://s-d7vaw-344754.sgizmo.com/i/76864e17049472p99797

I urge everyone fill it out but select the 'Other' options and leave comments on how UTTERLY DREADFUL these conceptual drawing are. Totally inorganic, stupid, amateur, novelty, un-user-friendly, these proposed 'systems' are.

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post

I urge everyone fill it out but select the 'Other' options and leave comments on how UTTERLY DREADFUL these conceptual drawing are. Totally inorganic, stupid, amateur, novelty, un-user-friendly, these proposed 'systems' are.
    The more I see these one-way loops the more depressed I get. I fear this project was doomed from the start.

Kerry... I'm gonna need your should to cry on soon!

Kerry... I'm gonna need your shoulder to cry on soon!
    I'm here for you.

I tried to do this, but when I clicked Submit Survey, it went to a white screen that said "Your survey could not be opened." When I clicked back, all my answers were blank.

25. Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I tried to do this, but when I clicked Submit Survey, it went to a white screen that said "Your survey could not be opened." When I clicked back, all my answers were blank.
    same result here...

out of curiosity I went back and clicked all positive selections and it went thru...

Thread Information