Widgets Magazine
Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Plaza District

1. Default Re: Plaza District

I'm assuming the P.C. KNOWS a church is nearby?

2. Default Re: Plaza District

The issue is at the state level, not local.

Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The issue is at the state level, not local.
    Right but the Cities are the bodies that actually grant the required zoning.

I really don't understand how this works but it this particular situation should do much to enlighten.

Quote Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
    Planning Commission wanted to specify exact location of where it would be sold and that it was only sold during Lyric Theatre events, not during private party use. They also mentioned the Civic Center not allowing drinks in the theatre seating area, only in the designated lobby. But very open to application and no concerns with location or proximity to church. In fact church wasn't even mentioned.
    I'm not sure what that means about the Civic Center. Drinks are only served in the lobby but I've never heard or seen any restriction about having drinks in the seating area.

5. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm not sure what that means about the Civic Center. Drinks are only served in the lobby but I've never heard or seen any restriction about having drinks in the seating area.
    I have personally taken drinks into the seating area so I don't believe it is a problem.

Civic Center used to only allow beverages in the lobby but they opened it up to allow in seating a while ago. The first show I saw when I moved here in 05 I wasn't allowed to take the drink in.

For those interested in Plaza happenings, our annual State of the Plaza event will be February 25th. We'll hear from property owners, business owners and a report on 2014. Our speaker schedule should be available soon. Must be a Friend of the Plaza to attend! If you're not, it's a pretty good deal to get merch, free beer and snacks @ LIVE, a pub crawl, soft openings and more! Not to mention support Plaza District Assoc State of the Plaza ? Plaza District

Ate lunch at The Mule today and on my way home down 16th, I noticed the home directly west of Chiltepes was getting a big makeover. Which is interesting considering it is owned by the same person who has owned it since 1998. It will be a great improvement. I just hope they can do the same thing to the homes to the west of it as well.

Looks like the Industry Flea concept is coming to the Plaza, starting this weekend:

The Plaza Flea

NEXT SHOW: Friday May 8th-10th

Join us next month as we gather artisans, curators, collectors and small business owners into a 3 day event. The Plaza Flea is located in the Struble Courtyard with an entrance on Gatewood between 16th & 15th Street.

Live music
    Dog and stroller friendly
    Most vendors accept credit cards
    FOOD TRUCKS!

Blog Entries

My daughter was in the Lyric Academy production of Legally Blonde this past week/weekend and we spent a lot of time in the Plaza District. We had family in from Texas and Tennessee. They were very impressed by the vibe and feel of the Plaza. Didn't hurt that the weather was PERFECT and was easy to sit outside, enjoy food and brews etc. Theatre was almost sold out both Friday and Saturday nights. Only complaints were that we couldn't get seconds at Pie Junkie or Roxy's after the shows (they had closed by then). I was really proud to have this area to enjoy with family who were not familiar with it.

I agree. The Plaza District has a really cool vibe that has come into its own over the past few years. When I moved here in 2012 there was no Oak & Ore, Empire Slice House, or Chiltepes. A lot of the artwork/murals on the buildings wasn't there so it didn't have as much character. I really like what it has become.

The building directly east of The Mule is getting a renovation. It's owned by Jeff Struble who also owns the Mule property:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree. The Plaza District has a really cool vibe that has come into its own over the past few years. When I moved here in 2012 there was no Oak & Ore, Empire Slice House, or Chiltepes. A lot of the artwork/murals on the buildings wasn't there so it didn't have as much character. I really like what it has become.
    Yes, come a LONG way since the upholstery shop and laundry mat.

Steve's update on various project in the Plaza District.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/542...%20development

So about that corner that the Plaza District needed to turn... wow

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    So about that corner that the Plaza District needed to turn... wow
    Yes, very impressive ongong improvements. Glad there will be more retail too.

We decided to go to Roxy's last night after seeing a performance at the Civic Center. My brother-in-law is visiting from New York and we wanted to show him some more of OKC. It was filled with people and the line at Roxy's was out the door. Besides Bricktown, I've never seen that many people in one several block area, short of a festival.

Betts, or any other streetcar experts: Would it be possible for Phase 1B of the Streetcar (still MAPS3) to connect to the Plaza District area? Or at least 16th and Classen.

Either way, the Classen Blvd corridor is exploding, as it finally begins to connect not just to downtown, but also the Plaza District.

I would love to see the streetcar extended to the Plaza district. The only thing is its a good deal separated from the rest of downtown and I am not sure it could be done within the existing budget.

The Plaza District was first developed because it was the terminus of a streetcar line.

If it goes out that way again, I'm sure they'll tie in OCU in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Betts, or any other streetcar experts: Would it be possible for Phase 1B of the Streetcar (still MAPS3) to connect to the Plaza District area? Or at least 16th and Classen.

Either way, the Classen Blvd corridor is exploding, as it finally begins to connect not just to downtown, but also the Plaza District.
    I'm not a streetcar expert, but if what we have currently is costing us ~$180M, we'd have to increase the budget by somewhere between 50% and 100% to reach the Plaza. MAYBE we could reach 16th/Classen with MAPS 3 money if some things really go our way.

Honestly, I think the street car needs to NOT go down 16th.

I'd much rather the Plaza develop out to 23rd, and with the Ben Sellers' development, we're definitely on our way.

Blog Entries

Historical Streetcar Routes | ACOG | Association of Central Oklahoma Governments

My son lives on NW 41 and one of the old historical lines runs behind his house west of classen. Interesting map.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I'm not a streetcar expert, but if what we have currently is costing us ~$180M, we'd have to increase the budget by somewhere between 50% and 100% to reach the Plaza. MAYBE we could reach 16th/Classen with MAPS 3 money if some things really go our way.
    I think I read this week that the "mainline" is costing between $50-60MM. I know design and engineering take a large part of the budget, but we have the TIGER grant covering most of the hub. We should be able to cross Midtown and go a short ways up Classen OR hit the OUHSC but not both. I'd argue the NE extension should be covered by OU and the State.

Thread Information