Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Plaza District

1. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Really should be boxed in a crate and shipped to SF or Portland to help keep OKC a fam friendly zone.
    Then if I could find a way to rid myself of the teenagers that infest our local malls and Rok Bar patrons my happiness would be complete.

Default Re: Plaza District

Lol

Question: for those people up on city building codes and neighborhoods, in the mostly single family area of the plaza, namely south of 16th, between say blackwelder and penn on the west, would the city of OKC allow for a vacant lot to pour a slab and build one of those architectural designed kit homes on the slab, even tho it would stick out in the character of the housing stock of the neighborhood?

I was trying to find some info from the city's webpages but i knew there was a guy on here that could give some insight. basically can u build what ever design on one of those lots or does it have to conform to certain neighborhood character, like be a newly built shot gun shack bungalow style. any city zoning links would be helpful. i'm talking a single family not mulitfamily. thanks in advance.

I think that would be allowed in Classen-Ten-Penn. That area is definitely pre-comeback (by which I mean, it IS coming back, and it's still under the radar, but real progress is happening). The city doesn't yet have HP zoning overlays for CTP but they may decide that's the right strategy. I honestly think we may be HP-zoned out and some historic neighborhoods may be better if they could accommodate a mixture of historic and modern.

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    Question: for those people up on city building codes and neighborhoods, in the mostly single family area of the plaza, namely south of 16th, between say blackwelder and penn on the west, would the city of OKC allow for a vacant lot to pour a slab and build one of those architectural designed kit homes on the slab, even tho it would stick out in the character of the housing stock of the neighborhood?

I was trying to find some info from the city's webpages but i knew there was a guy on here that could give some insight. basically can u build what ever design on one of those lots or does it have to conform to certain neighborhood character, like be a newly built shot gun shack bungalow style. any city zoning links would be helpful. i'm talking a single family not mulitfamily. thanks in advance.
    From my planning days (years ago and in a different state) - you can build whatever type of home you want on any plot of land you can buy. I have seen people move mobile homes into subdivisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    From my planning days (years ago and in a different state) - you can build whatever type of home you want on any plot of land you can buy. I have seen people move mobile homes into subdivisions.
    Mobile homes can only be installed on lots over 5 acres or in a Mobile Home Overlay zoning area. And to answer the general question, yes, at this point in time anyone can build the home of their choice in these neighborhoods.

If you have an opinion, please stay tuned to the happenings of planokc. These types of issues will be very important as planokc moves from Goal development into Policy development. http://www.planokc.org. If you have time, read the following PDF, especially pages 35-42, which are specifically about building and apperance issues. http://www.planokc.org/docs/health/F...2011-07-01.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Mobile homes can only be installed on lots over 5 acres or in a Mobile Home Overlay zoning area. And to answer the general question, yes, at this point in time anyone can build the home of their choice in these neighborhoods.
    Not to argue the point with you but while sitting in a Community Development meeting I was told by our planning director that if anyone comes into the office and asks me if they can move a mobile home into a subdivision I am to tell them no. About 4 hours later I was asked that very question by a developer. I told him no. The next day I was given a letter from the Federal Government Housing and Urban Development telling me it was illegal to descriminate based on housing type and material so long as all other requirments were met. 2 weeks later 2 mobile homes were moved on to vacant lots in a non-deed restricted subdidivion. That is when I found out there is difference between what City Hall tells you can do vs what you can actually do.

Blog Entries

Wait....in the threads for DD and Midtown, when some neighboring residents were concerned about a class of construction wanting to come into the area everyone was aghast at their elitism. So why is it any less elitist to try to restrict mobile homes or kit homes? Affordable housing is affordable housing, right?

9. Default Re: Plaza District

I'm liking this:

http://www.plazadistrict.org/2012/04...and-hot-melts/

Coming mid summer 2012 to a Plaza District near you, OKC’s tastiest hang out. Serving a full menu from lunch til’ late and specializing in the art of the grilled cheese. Hours: lunch til late!

We are very excited to announce the Plaza District newest restaurant and bar, The Mule, another addition to the growing “dine and drink” experience in the Plaza District. The Mule’s menu will focus on grilled cheese and hot melt sandwiches, and a full bar will compliment good eats and conversation. The Blackwelder Studios ground level, currently under renovation, will be home to The Mule with indoor as well as outdoor dining. “The Mule is an exciting addition to our growing district” says Executive Director of the Plaza District Association, Kristen Vails, “we are looking forward to their presence making the district an even better destination for a local experience in art, dining and shopping!”

To keep up with The Mule’s progress follow them on twitter and like them on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I agree CM. These types of specialty food restaurants are becoming very popular around the country and this adds to the district's eclectic atmosphere.

I'll be waiting for an article from a restaurant reviewer who despises jam bands and grilled cheeses.

Really good overview of the Plaza District in this week's Gazette:

http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/ar...aza-sweet.html

Does anyone know who owns the building behind Velvet Monkey? You can see the really cool brick structure around the roof in this picture. This would be awesome as a rooftop area for Plaza District much as Steve Mason's rooftop in Automobile Alley.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...23&tx=52&ty=88

14. Default Re: Plaza District

The building behind Velvet Monkey IS Velvet Monkey. All of it is Estrella's. That's all one building, a former ice house if I'm not mistaken.

The Mule OKC is a new restaurant/bar coming to the Plaza District.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    The Mule OKC is a new restaurant/bar coming to the Plaza District.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...261#post525261

Can I get bonus points for pulling a metro on...metro?

Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Really good overview of the Plaza District in this week's Gazette:

http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/ar...aza-sweet.html
    I love this quote. I am going to add it to my repertoire.

“If you catch fire with enthusiasm, they’ll come from miles away to watch it burn,” he said [Dylan Bradway].

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    ... Can I get bonus points for pulling a metro on...metro?

You don't do it a lot. I suppose you could ask Pete to change your screen name to met-Lite <VBG>

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    Looks like they are getting rid of the full market that they currently have in the front and going with just a restaurant.
    Actually, they are moving their convenience store/market into the old gas station building (they have owned it for years) across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The building behind Velvet Monkey IS Velvet Monkey. All of it is Estrella's. That's all one building, a former ice house if I'm not mistaken.
    This is true. Estrella's loft style home is behind the salon. The upper floor was used to house the machinery from the ice house, so there was never a roof. She would like to make a rooftop patio someday, but I believe the cost for elevator and everything else it would take have put that on hold for a while

The sale of the building that housed the Coin-Op laundromat and the vacant gravel lot next door closed on Friday. They still have 2 weeks to move their equipment so you wouldn't know by looking at it. Before you ask, I don't have a link for you to verify this. But, I'm sure you can search the county records in a few weeks when it updates. It is now owned by Sweet Sixteenth LLC. The principal owner is Steve Mason. I have no link to that info either, except to tell you I know that because I am the silent 30%. The reason the legal entity is different than the name on the title of his other holdings is that he has some silent partners on this one that are not a part of the rest of his empire. There are no specific plans at this point. We think the space would be best used by a restaurant/coffee shop/bar/music venue because of the lot(potential patio) next door. But, since there is no lease yet, it's whatever $ wants it to be. If you or anybody you know has interest in the space, you may contact Steve Mason's office or the Plaza District office.

23. Default Re: Plaza District

http://www.plazadistrict.org/2012/05...o-partnership/

Don’t you wish there were more places to sit and enjoy the Plaza District?

We would love for you to bring your lunch, read a book, or listen to a street musician on the wonderful, wide sidewalks we’re so lucky to have.
    This week, we’re wanting to make that possible! We’re partnering with Better Block OKC, an awesome project working to enhance public space and street life in OKC (May 18-19th, be there!!)

With each $100 donation to the Plaza District, we will purchase a cafe seating set pictured below. The cafe sets will be at home in the Plaza District, but loaned out to Better Block OKC as needed. In fact, they will debut at our pop-up park this Friday at LIVE on the Plaza, then return to Better Block OKC on May 18-19th at NW 7th/Hudson.

With your donation, you’re helping two organizations make OKC a more vibrant, pedestrian place, and your donation is tax deductible. The deadline to donate is this Friday at noon.

I just found out yesterday that a good friend of mine is one of the buyers of the old Coin-Op. He said they have absolutely no clue what they are going to do and he is open to any suggestions. He threw out the idea of having a place like Barcadia in Dallas. Small bar with old school video games. Please give suggestions for what you would like to happen and i'll pass them along. Just to the right of the building is an empty gravel lot that he would love to make a patio. Please send suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by oakhollow View Post
    I just found out yesterday that a good friend of mine is one of the buyers of the old Coin-Op. He said they have absolutely no clue what they are going to do and he is open to any suggestions. He threw out the idea of having a place like Barcadia in Dallas. Small bar with old school video games. Please give suggestions for what you would like to happen and i'll pass them along. Just to the right of the building is an empty gravel lot that he would love to make a patio. Please send suggestions!
    I've never been to Barcadia, but The Max in Tulsa is a pretty cool niche place. Definitely would fit well in the Plaza District. A patio would be great.

Thread Information