Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Plaza District

1. Default Re: Plaza District

I'm curious how Pritchard is doing.... It is one of my favorite restaurants in OKC, but the last few times I've been (including last Friday during their monthly Plaza gathering) I've been one of 3-4 tables. The food and drinks are some of the best in the city, but for whatever reason it seems like the hype has died down. Their service is great and I've never had an issue with anything, so I'm curious if anyone has had any issues.

Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I'm curious how Pritchard is doing.... It is one of my favorite restaurants in OKC, but the last few times I've been (including last Friday during their monthly Plaza gathering) I've been one of 3-4 tables. The food and drinks are some of the best in the city, but for whatever reason it seems like the hype has died down. Their service is great and I've never had an issue with anything, so I'm curious if anyone has had any issues.
    I've always found it to be a little more crowded during the week than weekends. Not really a Friday night drinking place, great for happy hour though. That's not to say I haven't seen it slammed on fridays I have but I think it gets better vibes during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Ate there a few weeks ago and thought the same thing. Food and service were spectacular.

Blog Entries

Kasum is a big loss. It was a great little gallery with a broad reach. Customers from all over. The city doesn't have enough of these galleries with this quality.

http://newsok.com/okc-central-chat-t...rticle/5566018

A 110-spot parking lot is coming to the Plaza District
    **Puts on Flameproof Suit**

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Talker View Post
    http://newsok.com/okc-central-chat-t...rticle/5566018

A 110-spot parking lot is coming to the Plaza District
    **Puts on Flameproof Suit**
    That is where this housing project was to go; directly south of The Mule:

*thumbs down*

I imagine it will be a pay-to-park lot?

"...proceeding with building a larger, 110-space parking on the site after deciding the demand for parking was greater than for housing in the area..."

That says something, eh? It'll always be a chicken and egg/Catch-22 situation. Build a place people want to be, and they'll live there if they can, or drive when they want. Does not having parking right now actually limit people going down there, yes, somewhat. Will building parking help - no, because more people will just try to come. Parking, just like roadway widening, suffers from induced demand.

Blog Entries

ULI will tell you parking is essential for a thriving retail area. It just needs to be done smartly.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    "...proceeding with building a larger, 110-space parking on the site after deciding the demand for parking was greater than for housing in the area..."

That says something, eh? It'll always be a chicken and egg/Catch-22 situation. Build a place people want to be, and they'll live there if they can, or drive when they want. Does not having parking right now actually limit people going down there, yes, somewhat. Will building parking help - no, because more people will just try to come. Parking, just like roadway widening, suffers from induced demand.
    So it seems like extending the streetcar to this area should be the preferred option, no?

Blog Entries

Sure but I don't see a serious conversation being had about that until after 2020. Serious meaning between the parties that can actually make it happen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So it seems like extending the streetcar to this area should be the preferred option, no?
    The streetcar would not eliminate the parking necessary for a healthy retail area. It would certainly influence the amount needed, but not eliminate a current and ongoing need. It just needs to be done in an urban friendly way.... placement, security, visibility, aesthetics.

15. Default Re: Plaza District

Seems in Dallas and Denver, people just park on other side streets around similar urban retail districts. People around there tolerate it as a part of living near entertainment.

with Plaza festival this past weekend all side streets were very congested getting through there. we parked at a friends house and walked over. probably first time I had seen people parking on 16th westbound east of the plaza.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    with Plaza festival this past weekend all side streets were very congested getting through there. we parked at a friends house and walked over. probably first time I had seen people parking on 16th westbound east of the plaza.
    I attend St. Francis which is close by... Sunday the side streets around it were impassible. Major traffic problems with so much onstreet parking creating only 1 lane for driving which in turn created numerous stale-mates.

Blog Entries

Just wait until the St Francis addition/renovation construction starts...

19. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Seems in Dallas and Denver, people just park on other side streets around similar urban retail districts. People around there tolerate it as a part of living near entertainment.
    Yup, Colfax here in Denver and Oaklawn in Dallas come to mind, although much more fully realized and established than the Plaza for sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I liked Stanley. I used to take my car there for maintenance when I lived around the corner. However, that location just became too valuable.

Both Collected Thread and Tree and Leaf announced they are closing their retail shops today. Given they are in the same building, I wonder if an announcement of something new/big going in there is imminent?

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Both Collected Thread and Tree and Leaf announced they are closing their retail shops today.
    Wow. I hope both owners did it on their terms as they were both pioneers before the Plaza District is what it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Wow. I hope both owners did it on their terms as they were both pioneers before the Plaza District is what it is today.
    Read more here: http://www.treeandleafclothing.com/b...r-this-chapter

Sounds like he never made much money off the store and now increasing overhead costs (most likely the rent) are increasing too much for him to stay.

Collected Thread suffered from stale inventory. They are still selling most of the same items they sold when I first shopped there in 2011. I haven't bought anything there in a long time, because I already own everything from there I want. It's a nice store, but it's run more like a tourist shop than retail catering to locals. Plenty Mercantile and Shop Good are aimed at the same demographic, and do a much better job.

Thread Information